Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which historical Redskins backfield would you take into 2012?

Gart Monk

Give me HOFer Bobby Mitchell (FL/HB/WR) & HOFer John Riggins.

Him in this offense, just wouldn't be fair.

I know we ended up using him as a WR more, but he did start his career out as a RB.

(Yes...mainly with Cleveland)

These are his career numbers as a RB.

513 attempts

2,735 yards

5.3 yard average.

18 TD's

Having him on the field would be the perfect 3rd down back in this offense. Like having another WR on the field.

lol....It is having another WR on the field.

Then Riggins back there to pair with him?

Plus RG3, Garcon, Morgan, Moss & Hankerson.

Nasty...

No, I'd go with this as well. I'm young as well, but Portis would have been a HOFer is he played his entire career for Shanahan. Even sacrificing his body and playing differently and heavier for Gibbs he almost hit 10,000 yards.

Adding a rookie Portis onto this roster and into this atmosphere would bring us to a SB in less than 4 years. We'd be unstoppable on offense.

And if you think Portis would have become the non-practicing, blinded-by-his-own-contract/stardom kind of player that he was without the corrupting influence of those ****ed up Redskins locker rooms of the mid-2000's, you're crazy. It was a team culture kind of thing, not a Portis kind of thing. Stick a 21-year old Portis on this team now and he's a totally different personality in the media/locker room.

Amen, however, might sound crazy to some but I think Helu has that potential, so I'm not sure I would even take anyone over him. He's fast, has that same take it to the house ability Portis had. He HURDLES defenders and keeps his speed. Dude is incredible and had no off season. Maybe we'll luck out on this guy.

But hell, putting Portis on the same side as Cutler and Brandon Marshall...that would have been a scary Bronco team too.

Seriously? Byner, Riggs, Ervin......anyone? Bueller? WTF.

Yeah, it's really stupid to take Portis who as a young stud already had incredible success playing for Shanahan. :rolleyes:

It's nothing against the Redskins greats. It's that we think he'd fit perfectly.

I think some people forget just what Portis was his first two years in the league. He was the Adrian Peterson of his time in those years...the best young RB in the league and a total stud who lit the league on fire with the Broncos.

Yeah, it's really stupid to take Portis who as a young stud already had incredible success playing for Shanahan. :rolleyes:

It's nothing against the Redskins greats. It's that we think he'd fit perfectly.

I think some people forget just what Portis was his first two years in the league. He was the Adrian Peterson of his time in those years...the best young RB in the league and a total stud who lit the league on fire with the Broncos.

Perhaps. Color me biased.....could never root for Portis so I certainly wouldn't want to revisit him in in 2012. Great blocker, played with intensity, but had the type of personality I just couldn't get behind. Not saying he was a bad player. Either way, I can't possibly imagine multi-1000 yard rushers like Byner/Riggs would be poor behind the 2012 line and RGIII.

If we can mix and match from different eras I will take a rookie Portis running in he same scheme in which he looked like the best back in the NFL and Larry Centres at FB. Centres would be such a dangerous receiver in this offense.

Loved Riggo back in the day on the field - I have not a lot of time for him off the field then or now - but he was the prototype power back and would be a horrible fit in the zone blocking scheme we run IMO.

Well, to follow Califan's directive, if it must be from the same year and same backfield... I'll take Byner, Riggs and Ervins.

I think, Whiskeypeet, when you look at Portis, you should consider him a Redskin.. He was here the majority of his career. and he played with heart, even if he didn't always practice with it, and that I blame on the culture that allowed and fostered it. He put this team on his back down the stretch in '05 and put us in the playoffs, (and then stone KO'd Shelton Quarles in the playoffs with one of the nastiest chip blocks I've ever seen. How can any Redskins fan not like that? )

He did have his injury problems, and part of that could be blamed on poor practice, and part of it can be blamed on Gibbs insisting on trying to turn him into a 230 lb power back when he was clearly best as a 190 pound flyer. Besides, he was a bit fragile in Denver, missed games, and still rushed for over 1500 in his first two seasons. Loading that weight on him could be viewed as one of Gibbs worst decisions.

I know some of his characters grated on some nerves, but I saw those as a positive thing, He kept that locker room loose. Things like that are important in their own way. It was like Jim McMahon with the old Bears.. him and his headbands and silly locker room stuff kept the media off the other players, and focused on his circus. Meanwhile the other 52 guys went out and won the Super Bowl. You could say the same for Joe theismann and his motor mouth. Guys who take the spotlight take pressure off of others.)

~Bang

Im going to chime in with the '92 backfield of Ernest Byner (consistent)/Gerald Riggs (power)/Ricky Earvins (speed). IMO that backfield could do whatever was asked of them.
I would have to seriously consider Stephen Davis and Larry Centers in addition to some of the other groups mentioned.

Both these backfields get my vote! As a coincidence, weren't Riggs and Centers both #37?

wow....am I the only one who really appreciated what Kelvin Bryant did as a pass catching back? I remember Buddy Ryan saying that in playing the Skins, Art Monk and Bryant were the two that he wanted double covered every play (on a team with Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders, and Clint Didier).

I'd have to chose between Bryant and Joe Washington as my 3rd down back....that's a hard one. Then....as much as I love Riggo....I'd take Portis for his one cut explosiveness.

Yeah.....I'd go Portis/Bryant.

Give me Clinton Portis the year we traded for him, without Gibbs putting 40 pounds on him.

Give me the guy who was greased lightning through the crease like he was under Shanahan, who had a 5.5 yard average and 29 touchdowns to go with over 3100 yards rushing in his first two seasons.

If i need a second guy, I'll take Terry Allen, another fast back with some power and excellent cutback ability.

Oh yeah.

~Bang

Those would have been my choices as well.

Hell, Portis might still be around were it not for Gibbs. *looks for lightning to strike me down*

Loved Gibbs, one of if not the best coach to ever coach in the NFL. However, he ran Portis into the ground. Portis flourished in a zone blocking scheme with Shanahan and would have lasted a lot longer. He also killed it in Gibbs system, but just couldn't stay healthy from all the hits. He's still not that old today, and it wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest he could be 3rd downs behind Helu or something today, e.g. LT. (had he stayed with Shanahan).

now I hate to say this with Helu and Royster but besides Davis have many of Shanny's backs florished for mutiple years?

now I hate to say this with Helu and Royster but besides Davis have many of Shanny's backs florished for mutiple years?

Olandis Gary.

Reuben Droughns.

Mike Anderson.

Tatum Bell.

All of these guys ran for 1000 yards in a season at least once in their careers as members of the Denver Broncos. They were not studs like TD or Portis, but Shanahan has gotten more out of his running backs than arguably any coach in recent history. That's why he traded Portis.

Archived