Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Earth the Echo. Basically Wall-E meets Super 8. I liked it, nothing special though. Worth the watch on Netflix, especially if you have kids. Cute little robot lol.

I have not been as annoyed by a film style since Blair Witch. My kids saw this in theaters and Netflix, but the hand held cam style really gives me a headache and makes the movie too Youtube-like - its distracting!
  • Like 1

I will add a new one:

Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 - C+ movie but A+ fun... watched this with coworkers (on travel) in a theater with 7 people in it.

I will watch this with the wife and kids - after Madagadcar 3, Spongebob, Big Hero 6 and some other family animated movies I have no appetite to see the movie "Home".

• Like 1

Predestination 7/10. This was a fun movie to watch.  I cannot get into the movie at all because it will give too much away.  I am a big Ethan Hawke fan and love almost everything he is involved with, so I might be biased here.  This movie would have had a higher ranking for me if the plot was more stable as a whole.  My wife and I discussed it and we came to the conclusion that the company that Ethan works for doesn't need to exist. Which stinks because it is a good movie.

1417417030.jpg

A temporal agent (Ethan Hawke) embarks on a final time-traveling assignment to prevent an elusive criminal from launching an attack that kills thousands of people.

Left Behind w/Nicolas Cage.  Grade - C

It's on Netflix, just got added and bad reviews in their ratings, which I usually ignore anyhow, but was spot on this time.  No real twists here, you can predict where the movie is going in the beginning.  

Started out pretty good on the set-up, then just kinda meh through out, and the ending was very predictable.  I'd not recommend it unless you are bored with nothing else to watch (which should be almost impossible now days) or just need something as background noise and were a Cage fan.  

Avengers. Geez, 8 o'clock show on a Tuesday and it was sold out.

B+. I see what some folks have been saying and i agree. There were some magic moments, but the film as a whole wasn't "magical" like the first one was. Still really good, I enjoyed it a lot. Perfect balance of comedy and action as usual. Olsen is hawt.

The whole Marvel world is really starting to splinter out. They'll milk this thing for another decade at least.

Edited by Chew

Annie. as cute as little Q. Wallis is, she couldn't save this movie. I could see Jamie Fox and Cameron Diaz agreeing to do this crap film, but i have no idea how they managed to get the very talented Rose Byrne on board. C-. Wife really blew it with this one. Two hours I'll never get back.

Edited by Chew

Wow, you live a hard knock life youngchew.

Free Redboxed "Night at the Musuem 3" last week. Meh.

It was entertaining and it's always nice to see Robin Williams..but it was also quite sad to think this will be one of his last films.

As for Rebel Wilson, I always liked her comedy chops but I really hope they aren't thinking of making her the next star if they do a 4th movie.

Edited by The Evil Genius

Leon the professional.

Decent movie available on netflix.

7/10. interesting love story between a hitman (that asshole from mission impossible 1 and ronin) and what looked liked a teenager Natalie Portman. kinda weird at times but a good flick overall. The action wasn't great but the movie had some genuine and thought provoking moments.

Leon the professional.

Decent movie available on netflix.

7/10. interesting love story between a hitman (that asshole from mission impossible 1 and ronin) and what looked liked a teenager Natalie Portman. kinda weird at times but a good flick overall. The action wasn't great but the movie had some genuine and thought provoking moments.

I always liked this movie.  Saw it pop up on Netflix the other day and added it to my queue to watch again.  

Just watched American Sniper, everyone has already done a write-up on it, so no need to say anything more than "Awesome flick".  Recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

Selma - great movie. Difficult to watch sometimes, it was a lot different seeing it in HD then watching those old black and white clips from that day. Oyelowo was gold. Movies like this remind me not to take the freedoms we have for granted. I give it an A.

Taken 3 - I was sure that the third installment would be garbage, but it was surprisingly entertaining. The addition of Forrest was definitely a good idea. Thought I had the plot figured out several times only to have my hunches blown up. To be 62 years old, Liam can still rock that ass with the hands. Give it a B.

Saw a bunch of good ones the past week. All are definitely worth checking out.

MV5BODAzNDMxMzAxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMx
Birdman: A washed-up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career and himself in the days leading up to the opening of his Broadway play.

Loved it. Well worth all the praise and awards, it was exceptional. Loved the acting and the single continuous shot the movie was filmed with. I felt about this one the same way that I felt about Whiplash in that it just felt so fresh and unique and showed us something new as a movie. I'd love to discuss the ending with any of you guys that have seen it.

-----------

MV5BMTQ3NzA1MTY3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzE2
Snowpiercer: Set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges.

I liked this one quite a bit too. Felt kind of like the video game Bioshock in that it's about this class system utopia in a confined setting. There is definitely some suspension of disbelief here in the action and story but I found it quite entertaining. There is a pretty emotional moment with Chris Evans later in the movie that kind of floored me.

---------

MV5BNzgzODA5MTU3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY4
Take Shelter: Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself.

This movie was amazing. It hit really close to home in subject matter and timing being that Michael Shannon is battling with the idea that either he is really the only one seeing visions of an apocalyptic storm coming or he is succumbing to paranoid schizophrenia, the same thing his mom suffers from and something that dramatically impacted him as a child. I lost my mom 13 years ago today to suicide after she struggled with it and there are parts of this movie that took me right back to those struggles. This is a triumph in studying the breakdown of mental illness and Michael Shannon plays his part perfectly. He is confused, anxious, nervous, afraid, embarrassed all rolled into one. The imagery is excellent and there is a slow build of tension throughout the movie. You never feel quite right. There is this sense of incoming doom that lingers the entire time. It all builds to one fantastic moment when it all becomes clear. It's extremely powerful and I can't say enough positive things about it. Michael Shannon was incredible in this as was Jessica Chastain. I highly recommend this.

I feel like somebody in this thread discussed this years ago which peaked my interest because of the subject matter and we maybe even exchanged some PMs about it but I haven't been able to see it until now.

-------

MV5BMTkyNzk0MTU2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDEx
Maggie: A teenage girl in the Midwest becomes infected by an outbreak of a disease that slowly turns the infected into cannibalistic zombies. During her transformation, her loving father stays by her side.

I saw TEG post this in the Coming Attractions thread awhile ago and I've had my eye on it since then. It released this weekend in theaters but it's very limited and nothing around me was showing it. Fortunately, it's also on DirecTV ppv so I was able to catch it yesterday.

Very good movie, the best Arnold movie and performance in ages. Don't be mistaken though, this isn't an "Ahnold" movie, there is almost no action. It's a great drama about a father dealing with the upcoming death/turn of his infected daughter. It raises similar questions that we've seen in the genre before as in "how far would you go to protect your family" or "not being able to say goodbye once your a loved one has turned" etc but it presents them in a fairly unique setting and presentation. I appreciate the genre branching out and trying to do something more serious than an action romp. And this one was pretty good.. Also, Abigail Breslin carries the movie as his infected daughter. It's a really great turn for her, she's one to keep an eye on moving forward.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

Focus - this was a decent movie. Kinda had a bootleg Oceans 11 feel to it, it wanted to be one of those play by play the if movies. It worked for the most part, but had me confused at times. Overall Will Smith was pretty good and Margot Robbie is hot. B.

The Theory of Everything - I loved this movie. Though Eddie Redmayne got all the attention and award noms for this movie, I thought it was Felicity Jones who stole the show. She was great. Really interesting story, I knew very little of Hawking's early years other than he studied at Cambridge. A.

It Follows - okay. This indie horror flick got a lot of hype. And when I say hype, I'm talking a ****ing 96% on Rotten.....from the critics! Damn! I was really stoked for it, but felt kinda let down. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent horror movie. But maybe the hype train had me too pumped up. Mitchell said he wanted to pay homage to 70s horror, and he did. The way the movie was shot, the type of scares, he'll even down to the synthesizer music. But it just kinda felt jumbled to me. Story moved along very quickly, the flow of the story never really settled into a comfortable pace. Worth seeing, though. Cool concept for a horror. B+.

Saw Mad Max thursday night...

It was glorious. Action, lovely action. The guitar guy and the power chords to lead the War Boys was insanely bad***. \m/ headbang \m/

The vast depth and attention to detail...wow. It's hard to describe, but it was like everything had a function/purpose, like you could see the inner-workings of it all. And there was a scene that left the audience dead-silent in wonder and imagination at the expanse and possibilities in the world of Mad Max...that moment was such a surreal experience, never felt anything like it. But then again, I like to immerse myself into a film, it's textures and the atmosphere it creates.

Edited by Metalhead

Quick question kinda OT: I am visiting some folks coming up and plan on going to see the Avengers movie. My dad doesn't go to many movies, and he wears glasses. Will that affect him if he wants to watch the movie in 3D?

If memory serves, he should be able to put the 3D glasses on over his regular ones.

Might not fit that great, but should work.

Ex Machina. Went in not knowing much, just for the AI/sci-fi angle and after a quick glimpse of serious critical acclaim. I agree---don't expect action flick, but very well done. Offers some original execution for a film of this topic in these times, and some very solid characters.

"Small film" in setting/locale/effects (outside of some great scenic footage that reminded me of AK), but still high grade production values across the board and excellent casting. Begs to be a quality TV series from one of the "usual suspect" networks, IMO. Recommended. Seeing it's antithesis, scale-wise, later today (Fury Road).

• Like 1

Pitch Perfect 2.

Not nearly as good as the first one, but still full of a lot of laugh at loud moments. 

If you didn't like the first one..or just thought it was ok - then I'd say skip it til DVD. 

Yeah, we saw Pitch Perfect 2 as well .I enjoyed liked the first one and my thoughts are about the same as yours. I liked the movie but it had some issues. 

I didn't like the music used for most of the routines. The music just wasn't nearly as good or as fun as the first time. The guys/ Treblemakers absence was noticeably felt. I hated the Bellas final number and I thought Das Sound Machine's was far and away greater and they should have won. 

The two announcers were hilarious and the best part of the movie for me again. Also, I'm glad Fat Amy stayed funny for the most part instead of becoming tired which I thought might happen. It was a fun time overall though.

I couldn't catch Mad Max this weekend but it is on the radar to see this week.