Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Hey, we all have different tastes. I thought the ending was weak.

And they killed Meatloaf. My god, they killed Meatloaf.

It's in my top 5 movies.  I've watched that movie so many times, probably closing in on a 100, if that hasn't been exceeded yet.  Granted, its been out a little over 15 years, watching it 10+ times a year earlier on, I'd say I've surpassed that mark lol.  

The only thing I didn't like about the ending was the fact he was still talking/standing with most of his face blown off.  Obviously, I look past the realism of that event, but what bothered me slightly about that was he was "killing" Tyler off.  But in order to do that, wouldn't he have to actually blow part of his brain out?  And if he did, I don't think he would still have the ability to stand there, talk, etc.  

Again, it's fiction so I look past it.  And that one part I wouldn't let drop it out of my top 5 list because the rest of the movie is so bad ass, imo.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was going to ask what about the movie made it a top 5 for you guys?  I thought Brad Pitt was great being arrogant as was Ed Norton and his dark side. The acting was great and the storyline started off strong, but I think the whole duel personality thing would have been OK, but that he was blowing up credit card companies using a militant cult just threw it WAY off for me. I was into the whole everyday man, fighing to blow off steam or be something you normally couldn't be, but when he woke up and went outside in his bathrobe with all the worker bees around, it soured it for me.

For me.

Starts with the music of the film. Lots of great sounding music that sets the scene. This is a hip film.

Then we have Edward Norton, who plays his role beautifully. Norton comes off as an every day man who is lonely and has a very flawed psyche. Brad Pitt plays probably his best role, coming off as the ultimate bad ass. If I were gay, it would be the Fight Club version Brad Pitt who I'd be dropping my pants for.

The story connects on so many levels but it's ultimately a story about how society functions. What we are expected to be like and how we can become so deviant. The whole Project Mayhem aspect becomes very unbelievable but that's what this move is. The characters are almost all stranger than fiction other than the narrorater (Norton, whose name we don't ever learn throughout the whole film).

When I first saw this movie I was 17-18 years old. I didn't see the plot twist coming until it was almost on top of me. Holy **** it blew me away. I had to watch the move again just because it was so shocking. Same thing with the plot twist in The Matrix to be honest. The Sixth Sense? Dear god!

The replay value of the movie is so high because you're always picking up on different little details about the movie. It's like with each new playthrough, you notice one small little detail that just explains a lot.

That's all.

• Like 1

Get On Up. Not that I doubted this film, but it was better than I was expecting. Still had its flaws, but an overall solid flick. 7.5/10.

This movie wanted to be "Ray" so bad, with the artsy flashbacks of James' crappy childhood and having the kid actor stand in on a scene during his adulthood, just like Ray. ya know, James Brown was a great musician and performer, it's too bad he was a jerk to his best friend and a wife beater. Not excusing it, but I had no idea how crappy his childhood was and what awful people his parents were, so I can understand the insecurities and trust issues.

I was standing up for about 78% of this movie, cuz there ain't no way you can blast that FUNK and sit still. I was putting on a clinic with the footwork (or so I thought). The actor who played JB did a wonderful j9b, he WAS Brown. hadn't heard much about this movie so I'm hoping his performance wasn't overlooked by critics. If you're looking for two hours of FUNK, definitely watch this one. I also didn't know that it was the death of his son that made James Brown start acting all crazy and doing drugs in his later years.

Edited by Chew

F&F 7 was ridiculousness incarnate of course and jumped the shark on "unbelievable" (as in "really?") action scenes--it was more like a live-action cartoon at times with Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote type action, but the filming and choreography of the fight scenes, stunts, big noises and pretty girls, were all excellent and set some new bars. very mucho fun-o. Jason always delivers the goods---even in his most half-ass projects, and he's great in this one.

And Vin Diesel may be the only guy I can think of who's almost as hard to watch "act" as Segal. I have never seen how this guy appeal to anyone. "Ham" doesn't begin to cover it, and he just drips 'I'm a big awesome Hollywood star" smugness off and on screen, no matter what emotion he's trying to portray in what role. I think Rosario Dawson's best acting ever (and she's played some good roles) is when she's pretending she can stand the dude in their "romantic" and "serious" scenes.

• Like 1

Still gotta watch Birdman too. I'm excited you have the Drop and John Wick coming up too.

Loved both of them.

Pretty stoked. Is the drop Gandolfini's last film out there? :(

I'll let you know about Birdman. Got a ton of love from critics but some folks have been screaming overrated.

Free HBO and Cinemax preview this weekend on DTV.  I have the following ready to record:

The Book Theif

Neighbors

A Million Ways to Die in the West

Edge of Tomorrow

Non-Stop

Blended

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Draft Day

That Awkward Moment

Thinking of the Darjeeling Limited.  Worth it?

• Like 1

Pretty stoked. Is the drop Gandolfini's last film out there? :(

I'll let you know about Birdman. Got a ton of love from critics but some folks have been screaming overrated.

Yeah it's his last movie. He's a boss as always. It wasn't what I expected at all and I mean that in a good way. It's got a bit of buildup but it's done well and definitely worth the end result

• Like 1

Free HBO and Cinemax preview this weekend on DTV.  I have the following ready to record:

The Book Thief: A

Neighbors: B-

A Million Ways to Die in the West: C

Edge of Tomorrow: A

Non-Stop: C+

X-Men: Days of Future Past: A

Draft Day: B

Of the ones I've seen, here are my grades.

Book Thief, Edge of Tomorrow, and DOFP were all excellent. Draft Day was a bit melodramatic, but I still enjoyed it.

A nice lineup you got there.

Yes Michael, come to me. Soon you will be mine.

Nice. I've seen all of these except for "The Drop", which I have, but haven't watched. Foxcatcher, John Wick, and Railway man were all excellent movies.

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 1

Book Thief

me too, I really liked it. Geoffrey Rush is one of my all-time favorite actors. Dude is way underappreciated. Ever since Elizabeth and Shakespeare in Love, Geoffrey's been my guy. Hell, even the cheesy (yet enjoyable) House on Haunted Hill, Rush was the best part of the movie.

What about The Darjeeling Limited?

Older movie (2007). Never seen it.

I've never seen it.

Nightcrawler.

Academy, Y U NO nominate Jake?

I think Nightcrawler, while being a good movie, was overrated. I really didn't see an Oscar caliber movie. That being said, I do believe Jake Gyllenhaal deserved a best actor nod. It was a really good performance by him.

I've never seen it.

I think Nightcrawler, while being a good movie, was overrated. I really didn't see an Oscar caliber movie. That being said, I do believe Jake Gyllenhaal deserved a best actor nod. It was a really good performance by him.

I felt the same way about Prisoners in 2013 with Jake.  good (not great movie), but Jakie Pooh smashed it.  He was so good in that movie!

• Like 2

Just saw Birdman. 

120-Birdman-Signs-To-Heat-1.jpg

Overrated in my opinion.  I wasn't a huge fan, but it wasn't what I was expecting either.  However, with all the fantastic reviews, I thought it was going to be phenomenal.  Not even close 3 out of 5 stars in my opinion.

Also saw, The Imitation Game:

tt2084970.jpg 

Fantastic movie.  Loved every second.  The story is based on Alan Turing, a mathematician breaking the German's code machine 'Enigma'.  Supposedly, this helped end the World War II.  There is not a lot of military action like my wife was expecting.  A lot of behind the scenes stuff involving one of my favorite actors, Benedict Cumberbatch.  If you haven't seen him in Sherlock Holmes, drop what you are doing right now and go watch them.  The best Sherlock in my opinion and you will thank me later.

I don't think he is a broad range actor in the sense that Daniel Day Lewis is, however, he plays his parts well. 

I worry about doing longer reviews, because I don't want to give away the story.  I am a person that doesn't even watch trailers prior to seeing the movie. 

• Like 1

I thought Birdman was pretty good. The first 30 minutes had me worried, but it picked pretty quickly. Keaton showed a lot of his range in this one, I thought he showed a lot of talent. the scene with him in the bar with the critic was my favorite scene of the film. Norton, Watts (what an ass), Stone and Zach were all very strong supporting actors.

Just like Fetus, this film caught me off guard as it was not at all what I was expecting. But I did enjoy it. Took me a while to realize that a lot of over acting was on purpose to keep with the theater theme of the movie.

Not a great film imo, but worth the watch. I enjoyed the subtle supernatural element of this movie, but Keaton and the building the movie was filmed in were the best parts. 7.5/10

Edit: not that we'll need therapy like after Memento and Donnie Darko, desperately trying to figure out what it was we just saw...but i enjoyed readiing this interpretation of the film's ending and meaning

. http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Birdman-Ending-Why-Obscure-Final-Shot-Makes-Total-Sense-69883.html

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

The Book Theif

Neighbors

A Million Ways to Die in the West

Edge of Tomorrow

Non-Stop

Blended

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Draft Day

That Awkward Moment

Thinking of the Darjeeling Limited.  Worth it?

Watched some of them this weekend: 

The Book Theif- Will watch this week

Neighbors- Meh. Couple of funny moments, but typical. Rose Byrne looking pretty hot.

A Million Ways to Die in the West- Typical Seth McFarlane "family guy" style of jokes. Again, couple of funny moments, but not that great. Charlize Theron is pushing 40 and looks 25. Yum.

Edge of Tomorrow- Will watch this week.

Non-Stop- Will watch this week.

Blended- Not bad for an Adam Sandler movie. Cute, some funny parts and Terry Crews stole the show. Liked it.

X-Men: Days of Future Past- Slow start, but once it got going was pretty good. I lost the timeline of what year in the 70s they were in. I remember hearing 1973. If that is the case, there would not be a baseball diamond at RFK as the Sens left the year before.

Draft Day- I like the intensity. Good job at the end as it gave you the same "rush" that GMs may feel. Good movie. My favorite line: "say it with me you pancake eating mother ******."

That Awkward Moment- OK. Not much to it. Jessical Lucas was pretty hot to look at.

The Darjeeling Limited- Suprise movie. I thought it was good. It was quirky, but that's what made it good. It surprised me how good it was.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 1