Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Oh man, that movie was bad.  It was a wannabe Liam Neeson movie that somehow managed to get Liam Neeson.  Even he couldn't save the terrible writing.

I feel unsafe living in a world with a group of people who wrote, directed, acted in, and eventually took that film to the public. 

After watching a movie like that I remind myself that a Man on Fire exists & I feel a little less lonely in this cold cruel world. 

• Haha 1

Night Moves - 2013 (dir. Kelly Reichardt) - An independent thriller about a few environmental activists who set out to commit an act of ecological terrorism.  

I didn't have really high expectations for this one, but it was a pleasant surprise.  Jesse Eisenberg and Dakota Fanning both deliver the goods here.  I am far from an Eisenberg fan, but my goodness, he's awesome in this.  The plot isn't overly complicated or even that interesting, but it doesn't matter.  I just wanted to watch this dude unravel.  Slowly.  Painfully.  Awkwardly.  

I am an independent film freak.  Some would calls these films boring.  They can be an acquired taste for sure, but this has that delicious indie vibe that I've been missing these days.  That slow simmer.  Those scenes and beats that drag on a little too long.  It feels life like.  There's a truth to it that hits home for me.  (3.5/4)  

• Like 2

Thanks for the recommendation on the movie "Rush". It was just that, a rush. Daniel Bruhl and Chris Hemsworth are both terrific in the parts of Lauda and Hunt respectively. Their competition was bitter and ferocious, but it drove each driver to new heights of achievement. Recommended.  

• Like 5

Pet Sematary (2019) - 6/10 - pretty "meh" overall.  The acting by the main girl was atrocious and I don't know why she was casted.  She's probably the daughter of someone on set or famous actor.  I didn't know John Lithgow was in it and he was great.  It started out pretty good/creepy but just got kinda weak towards the end.  I don't remember the old one exactly as I saw it last like 25 years ago, but I remember bits and pieces.  I remember Church being scarier in the old one, but probably also because I was young when I saw it.

• Like 1

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1978 (dir. Don Siegel) - Donald Sutherland and some cohorts do battle against an alien race that is taking over the city.  

This movie isn't talked about enough in horror/zombie circles.  It should be.  What starts as a slow burn picks up considerable pace as it moves towards the climax.  If you like gore and old school effects, you can get that here too.  It's the total package.  

Movies from the 70s are easily my favorite.  The colors are muted.  The lights are low.  Places feel lived in versus the overproduced utopias/set pieces we see in contemporary cinema.  There's a rawness that feels authentic.  All of that plays well here.  Every "night chase" sequence would never be shot that way today.  "It's too dark!  We can't see anybody's faces!".  I can hear the producers complaining right now.  Ahh, the good old days.

So, if you like horror/zombie/sci-fi, this is definitely worth a viewing.  Toss in a young Jeff Goldblum, a stern Leonard Nimoy, and a talented Brooke Adams and you are set.  Don Siegel is an underrated director (Dirty Harry), but his unsung talents are on full display.  It's a classic. (4/4)

• Like 4

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Loved it. Leo and Pitt are great together and Leo owns the screen like he always does, flexing more comedic chops than usual here. The movie is just a ton of fun. I stopped watching trailers after the first one so I didn’t know what to expect and I think it was better that way. 

I think there was a lot of excitement about Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate and thinking this was going to be about Manson. It’s not. It plays with Sharon Tate in a similar way that Inglorious Basterds played with Hitler. It’s a real person that is intertwined in the story and on the periphery of events but it’s not historically accurate or ultimately relevant to the movie. 

It really is just a story about an aging actor and his stunt double best friend. It’s fairly straightforward for a Tarantino movie too but there are a lot of family guy type “make a reference and then immediately cut to a flashback or new scene showing that reference” which is used a lot to setup Leo’s career and past. 

It’s a fresh fun and enjoyable movie. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1978 (dir. Don Siegel) - Donald Sutherland and some cohorts do battle against an alien race that is taking over the city.  

This movie isn't talked about enough in horror/zombie circles.  It should be.  What starts as a slow burn picks up considerable pace as it moves towards the climax.  If you like gore and old school effects, you can get that here too.  It's the total package.  

Movies from the 70s are easily my favorite.  The colors are muted.  The lights are low.  Places feel lived in versus the overproduced utopias/set pieces we see in contemporary cinema.  There's a rawness that feels authentic.  All of that plays well here.  Every "night chase" sequence would never be shot that way today.  "It's too dark!  We can't see anybody's faces!".  I can hear the producers complaining right now.  Ahh, the good old days.

So, if you like horror/zombie/sci-fi, this is definitely worth a viewing.  Toss in a young Jeff Goldblum, a stern Leonard Nimoy, and a talented Brooke Adams and you are set.  Don Siegel is an underrated director (Dirty Harry), but his unsung talents are on full display.  It's a classic. (4/4)

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers_704_3.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Can’t wait. Checking it out next week.

Might grab a Crawl/Once Upon a Time double dip.

It was great but meanders (in a good way imo) around for most of the movie following Leo and Pitt around their lives slowly building to a point. 

The last 15-20 minutes are a magnificent payoff 

tons of cameos both both of actors today playing characters and as characters in the story that are real people from 69

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

21 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Loved it. Leo and Pitt are great together and Leo owns the screen like he always does, flexing more comedic chops than usual here. The movie is just a ton of fun. I stopped watching trailers after the first one so I didn’t know what to expect and I think it was better that way. 

I think there was a lot of excitement about Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate and thinking this was going to be about Manson. It’s not. It plays with Sharon Tate in a similar way that Inglorious Basterds played with Hitler. It’s a real person that is intertwined in the story and on the periphery of events but it’s not historically accurate or ultimately relevant to the movie. 

It really is just a story about an aging actor and his stunt double best friend. It’s fairly straightforward for a Tarantino movie too but there are a lot of family guy type “make a reference and then immediately cut to a flashback or new scene showing that reference” which is used a lot to setup Leo’s career and past. 

It’s a fresh fun and enjoyable movie. 

I'll give the movie a solid B.  It was a good movie but I didn't think it was as great as the hype made it out be.

It was actually starting to get boring before that final payoff the last 15-20 minutes. That ending was hilarious.

Edited by Rdskns2000

7 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I'll give the movie a solid B.  It was a good movie but I didn't think it was as great as the hype made it out be.

It was actually starting to get boring before that final payoff the last 15-20 minutes. That ending was hilarious.

Spoiler

Leo coming out in his robe with a blender margarita at midnight to yell at hippies will be one of the clips thats played on a loop the day that he dies.

I have to say, when it all boils down to it, the only Tarantino movie that I really liked was Inglorious Basterds (and that one I LOVED). 

I saw Pulp Fiction recently (after not seeing it for a full 25 years) and I couldn't believe how badly its aged. Its looks older than a lot movies

filmed in the 80s. It was slow, drawn out, and has this amateurish feel to it throughout. Its funny because I absolutely adored it upon its release back in 94. 

But it really is a movie that is best enjoyed in a theater with a group of friends. Alone on a DVD player its just plain dull. 

Anyway, after seeing the positive reviews here, I have high hopes for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".  

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

I have to say, when it all boils down to it, the only Tarantino movie that I really liked was Inglorious Basterds (and that one I LOVED). 

I saw Pulp Fiction recently (after not seeing it for a full 25 years) and I couldn't believe how badly its aged. Its looks older than a lot movies

filmed in the 80s. It was slow, drawn out, and has this amateurish feel to it throughout. Its funny because I absolutely adored it upon its release back in 94. 

But it really is a movie that is best enjoyed in a theater with a group of friends. Alone on a DVD player its just plain dull. 

Anyway, after seeing the positive reviews here, I have high hopes for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".  

Well, he may do a Kill Bill 3.  He may do a Star Trek movie.  Supposedly, he's done after his 10th movie.  

Train to Busan (Netflix)  - best movie I've seen this year and maybe the last couple of years. I was hesitant to watch it as it is in Korean so have to put up with sub titles (which I've only liked one movie in my entire life - Das Boot).  But damn this was great.  A+ -  someone else watch it and tell me I'm right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Train to Busan (Netflix)  - best movie I've seen this year and maybe the last couple of years. I was hesitant to watch it as it is in Korean so have to put up with sub titles (which I've only liked one movie in my entire life - Das Boot).  But damn this was great.  A+ -  someone else watch it and tell me I'm right.

Loved it. That **** was so intense omg. It’s a perfectly executed concept. I was so surprised by this movie. It just kept coming 

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I’m a big Tarantino fan and Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies ever. I think Basterds is damn near a masterpiece too and Django is one of the most entertaining and awesome movies of the last 25 years to me. Reservoirs Dogs is pretty damn good too. A mystery that takes place entirely in a single room with flashbacks and Hateful 8 is basically the same idea tho with a slightly weaker setting and execution to me. 

I think his weakest movies are kill bill. They were good no doubt but it just wasn’t my thing. 

I don’t know where I’d rank Hollywood yet. It’s so different from any of his other work in that there is virtually no violence or foul language (to a point) which are staples for him. There is quite a bit of tension and dread throughout given the setting. But it’s hard to compare because of how different this is. 

Its just a damn fun time for me. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

I watched it long ago, and you’re not alone in thinking highly of this movie.  It’s easily one of the best zombie movies ever made.  Any fan of horror should watch it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

It should be in the great zombie movies.

12 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I'll still catch Pulp Fiction if it's on.  Still love it and it's still the pinnacle to me.  Inglorious Basterds is DEFINITELY second, a great all time movie.  Hateful Eight and Django are both good.  Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs are OK for me.  The Kill Bill movies are there, I could take them or leave them.

I'm a huge Tarantino fan though, everything he does is good in my book.  The opening scene in Inglorious Basterds as well as the bar scene are both among the most tense in cinema for sure.  Just edge of your seat **** based on dialogue alone.  That says a lot about how well he writes his movies.

• Like 3

When it comes to the writing, set up and direction of a scene, no one is better then Tarantino IMO.  I could watch scenes from his movies on YouTube all day.  Problem is his movies a lot of the times are just a bunch of cool scenes pieced together with a weak through line.  Which is why True Romance is my favorite movie of his because he didn't direct it.  Tony Scott directed it and the movie actually flowed.  Scott captured the good Tarantino and filtered out a lot of the over indulgence.   

Tarantino says he's only directing 10 films, but I hope he continues writing and letting other directors take on his scripts.  I'm not a Star Trek fan but I would go see that movie if he does infact write it like he says he wants to.

Edited by drowland
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 11:14 PM, nonniey said:

One of the best zombie movies in a long time!  IMO, nobody does revenge thrillers, horror, of action like South Korea.

Highly recommend most of the top 20 on this list, I've seen all of 'em.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls027325496/

And then there's The Raid: Redemption.  Indonesian.  its a top 10 action movie of all-time and possibly the most violent movie I've ever seen.  Riot from start to finish.  Legit hurts my feelings that so many of my movie enthusiast friends still have not seen this.  It's a life-changer.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chew said:

One of the best zombie movies in a long time!  IMO, nobody does revenge thrillers, horror, of action like South Korea.

Highly recommend most of the top 20 on this list, I've seen all of 'em.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls027325496/

And then there's The Raid: Redemption.  Indonesian.  its a top 10 action movie of all-time and possibly the most violent movie I've ever seen.  Riot from start to finish.  Legit hurts my feelings that so many of my movie enthusiast friends still have not seen this.  It's a life-changer.  

The Raid is so ****ing badass.  It's one of those movies that I wish I could watch again for the first time, not knowing what is going to happen.  I remember feeling that same way after I watched The Matrix.

• Thanks 1