Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

26 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You're not kidding. Had no mystery or charm of the original. Just blah. I was upset I spent $2.75 on the movie ticket lol. And what was going on with crowe's Jekyl/Hyde nonsense? That was a disaster   

Yeah

Spoiler

And apparently there was a whole spinoff universe created.  They were going to go the Jekyl/Hyde route and introduce a bunch of other characters.  Vampire, werewolves, etc.  From what I read, Javier Bordem and Johnny Depp were supposed to be on board for the next installment.

But mommy was torched so badly by critics and was such a crap product, I wonder if they're still planning on making the next one

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Yeah

Reveal hidden contents

And apparently there was a whole spinoff universe created.  They were going to go the Jekyl/Hyde route and introduce a bunch of other characters.  Vampire, werewolves, etc.  From what I read, Javier Bordem and Johnny Depp were supposed to be on board for the next installment.

But mommy was torched so badly by critics and was such a crap product, I wonder if they're still planning on making the next one

I thought they had to be working toward some type of shared universe type of thing once Crowe's situation became clear. 

Looks like we were spared of that Chew lol

18 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

From what I've seen, it seems most all mummy movies have the same plot: Mummy wakes up, attacks those who desecrated his tomb, and stalks the reincarnation of his lady-friend.

The Mummy played by Boris Karloff is named Imhotep, same as the 1999 movie.

Anyways, I just looked up the Tom Cruise one on IMDB.  All I had to see was that it was directed by Alex Kurtzman.  That should be reason enough to skip it.

Thats actually pretty cool. Didn't know that. I'll have to check it out. 

I mean all mummy stories are going to be similar in that regard I guess. There are other things to consider. Like the Brendan Frazier mummy wasn't an adaptation of the goosebumps book because the stories weren't similar despite touching on similar "mummy" things. Hard to articulate what I mean. 

• 3 weeks later...
I saw Birth of the Dragon. I give it a 5/10.

The only thing I really liked about it was Phillip Ng did a pretty good job of mimicking Bruce Lee's speech and mannerisms.

Spoiler

Things I didn't like about this movie:

• Bruce Lee was a dick. He was basically the villain for three/fourths of the movie.
  • Wong Jack Man was portrayed as a Shaolin Monk when he was not.
  • Wong Jack Man was portrayed as the true victor of his fight with Lee when supposedly eye witness accounts in real life indicated a very different outcome.
  • The whole Steve McKee character and his west side story was fake.

Edited by Ron78

The Terminator / T2-3D double feature at my local theater. It was great seeing two classics back to back on the big screen after nearly 30 years. While I loved T2 I'm more fond of the first Terminator's raw/gritty horror vibe it had. 

• Like 2

Baywatch

I didnt hate it, and actually chuckled at a few parts. I had heard it was putrid.  Eh, I've wasted 2 hours on worse.  Not to say it was "good" though.  Kinda damning with faint praise.  It was going for that 21 Jump Street vibe and missed. 

On 8/28/2017 at 8:12 AM, Fergasun said:

I finally saw Guardians Vol. 2...my wife saw it with kids and she said it wasn't good, too crude, etc..

I loved it..... the ensemble cast is awesome, and plot was pretty good too... know nothing about the comics. 

Was her opinion framed on  the fact that she had kids with her or she just didnt like it, independent of the children?

On 8/6/2017 at 3:32 PM, youngchew said:

Yeah

Reveal hidden contents

They're still planning on the shared universe cuz the Mummy made so much overseas.  They dont care about the critics.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

Ron Howard's "The Beatles, Eight Days A Week"- which was a fantastic documentary about the Beatles and their touring years.  While it focuses a lot on the touring, it's really a documentary about their whole career.  It's extremely well done, lot of amazing videos, photos and interviews.  I think it does the best job of capturing Beatlemania that I've seen.  When you've got an entire soccer stadium in your hometown singing your song louder than your national anthem....pretty awesome stuff.  If you like the Beatles even a little bit, you need to watch this.  5/5

Baywatch - I went in with exceedingly low expectations and came away pleasantly surprised.  It is what it is, a dumb, fun, summer movie.  There's some good laughs, a lot of juvenile humor, some good one liners and a lot of...um, eye candy.  Yeah, it's bad, no one should ever for a minute think that this is good cinema...but that's the thing, it doesn't try to be.  Plus I like The Rock.  Hasselhoff's cameo was great.  3/5.  

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2 - Admittedly need to watch it again as I was working on some photography stuff while watching but I liked it a lot.  Retained a lot of the freshness and the vibe from the first one.  4/5.  

• Like 2

"What Happened to Monday" on Netflix staring Noomi Repace (stared into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), weird concept on overpopulation and control. She plays multiple roles of sisters, held my attention. Glenn Close looked pretty bad in this film. I'd give it a 6/10.

• Like 1

Saw the 40th Anni. of Close Encounters on saturday. I never realised how loud and unnecessarily noisy it was. And then the insane acts of dialogue. A scene with talking and/or critical plot points? Count on two to three people talking at once, all over top of each other. A scene with  banging items, loud tv's, or howling weather? Count on people trying to talk over it.

• Like 1

It was fantastic. I loved it. It has always been one of my favorite horror movies and this remake didn't disappoint 

So movies like this with a large child cast often depend solely on how well those kids can act and handle the scenes. And much in the way Stranger Things excels at casting their children, It does as well. The kids knock it out of the park. I think one is even from Stranger Things. But they are funny, they talk like kids their age realistically and they convey the horror that is happening to them extremely well. I loved them all. 

The overall plot and movie was very similar to the original miniseries. THe biggest and most obvious changes were in the way that the kids each encounter Pennywise. There were some other changes as well that I actually really liked which I will mention below. 

Pennywise 2.0 was great. Just looks horrifyingly creepy with the change they made to his eyes. He's got a bigger role in this one as well which I liked. 

Overall awesome job. It wasnt really scary but neither was the old version but kept that same creepiness and sense of impending dread very well. Psychologically very terrifying 

Spoiler

Couple things I didn't like: Pennywise kinda sounded like Yoda a couple times and was hard to understand. 

I not sure how I feel about Bev revealing that the chubby kid was the one that wrote her the poem as children. That was saved until basically the night before they fight Pennywise as adults. So I'm interested to see how that will play out as adults

Loved: how much more Pennywise is in this movie. The fight in the house when he is really ****ing with all of them and nearly kills Eddie...that's some of the additions that I think really enhanced tthe movie and showed how serious of a threat he is 

I loved that they took out the "this is battery acid" inhaler blast that hurts Pennywise. It never made sense and was always cheesy. Following up on that, I'm glad it took a lot more than one silver earring from a slingshot to bring him down. I like that the theme was that they overcame their fear to all beat the **** out of him and send him away. Which should mirror what they do as adults too only that time they will actually finish the job by tearing out its heart. 

I really liked that the children were all suspended in the air "floating" while Pennywise waited to feed on them. Added a better meaning to "we all float down here" 

can't think of this name but the bully that gets pushed down the well, I thought a post credits scene where he sees the dead lights would be there. It would turn his hair white and he'd be in a mental hospital until they are adults and Pennywise returns. 

The ending when it shows "It" and then "chapter one" pops on screen was awesome. The entire theater cheered and I was surprised  to see so many people didn't know it was a multipart thing. I loved it tho 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw IT today.  Really enjoyed the movie.  More creepy then scary, but when Pennywise attacked he was pretty terrifying.  The kids were awesome.  Well acted movie, had a lot of heart and it was funny.  All of Richie's one liners landed perfect.  

Spoiler

Adapting a screen play from a King novel is tough so I won't be too critical and I liked some of the stuff they added in that wasn't in the novel.  My only real issue was I thought they didn't give Mike his due.  He felt shoehorned in the story and they gave the part about researching the history of Derry to Ben.  There's also a lot of history between Mike and Henry Bowers in the novel that they hinted at but would have liked to see them go more into.  Maybe they'll dive more into that in part 2.

@justice98

Re: Wife's opinion of Guardians 2

English is not her first language, so sometimes with not so straightforward plot and nuance she doesn't, "get it" -- also she felt it was vulgar/suggestive for the sake of vulgarness.  Also, she is into chick flicks... scifi is not her genre..

5 hours ago, drowland said:

I saw IT today.  Really enjoyed the movie.  More creepy then scary, but when Pennywise attacked he was pretty terrifying.  The kids were awesome.  Well acted movie, had a lot of heart and it was funny.  All of Richie's one liners landed perfect.  

Reveal hidden contents

Adapting a screen play from a King novel is tough so I won't be too critical and I liked some of the stuff they added in that wasn't in the novel.  My only real issue was I thought they didn't give Mike his due.  He felt shoehorned in the story and they gave the part about researching the history of Derry to Ben.  There's also a lot of history between Mike and Henry Bowers in the novel that they hinted at but would have liked to see them go more into.  Maybe they'll dive more into that in part 2.

Saw IT tonight... enjoyed it and will watch the sequel, but yeah they really took liberties with the source material which I won't go into cuz I've been drinking and I am not familiar with how to do a spoiler hide anyhow.. I will say that I also noticed the Historical switch, and  I didn't think Bill stuttered nearly enough . A fun movie though.

Also saw It tonight, agree with others that it's entertaining and creepy--Pennywise is just DAMN creepy, much better imo than Tim Curry's take. Think of Jack Nicholson's Joker compared to Heath Ledger's Joker lol...the movie was also funnier than I was expecting, and all the kids were really good, especially the young girl who played Beverly. I agree with @drowland in his spoiler text about one of the characters, hadn't realized why I was thinking that way until I read it, though.

The movie may have the Mother Of All Jump Scares in it, too lol...

Also, and this is no real spoiler, the movie is supposed to take place in 1988, but doesn't feel like it. Felt more like it was taking place in the late 60s for a large part of the movie. On the other end, I thought i saw a high school student talking on a cell phone in one scene lol...outside of one very funny running joke that speaks to the late 80s, I didn't get that feeling of a particular time in the past.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

I agree Cali. Really just the cars, clothes and that one running joke made it feel late 80s. The rest of the movie and the town itself felt like the old version and pulled from the late 60s in a lot of ways. 

The adult version will obviously be 2016/17. 

I am nominating Kristin Wig as the adult version of Beverly. That was the immediate impression I got from her. Thought maybe it was her daughter even.

5 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I agree Cali. Really just the cars, clothes and that one running joke made it feel late 80s. The rest of the movie and the town itself felt like the old version and pulled from the late 60s in a lot of ways. 

The adult version will obviously be 2016/17. 

I am nominating Kristin Wig as the adult version of Beverly. That was the immediate impression I got from her. Thought maybe it was her daughter even.

Wiig kinda looks like the adult Bevery, but she doesn't convey confidence nearly enough to be Beverly imo...Wiig's kinda hesitant-insecure persona works well for her comedy but Beverly in this movie was incredibly confident in numerous scenes...I'd prefer someone who can convey confidence just as strongly and is maybe a relative unknown so that I'm not looking at the actress but the character. It's gonna be interesting to see how they cast the adult versions in Chapter 2.

By the way, people in my audience applauded when "Chapter 1" was shown at the end lol...

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Wiig kinda looks like the adult Bevery, but she doesn't convey confidence nearly enough to be Beverly imo...Wiig's kinda hesitant-insecure persona works well for her comedy but Beverly in this movie was incredibly confident in numerous scenes...I'd prefer someone who can convey confidence just as strongly and is maybe a relative unknown so that I'm not looking at the actress but the character. It's gonna be interesting to see how they cast the adult versions in Chapter 2.

By the way, people in my audience applauded when "Chapter 1" was shown at the end lol...

That's a good point about Wig. I'm really excited to see how the casting  shapes up. I hope it's not too long of a wait for the sequel

I loved the cheers and applause when chapter one pops up at the end.