Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Inherent Vice.  I am in the group that thinks Paul Thomas Anderson is the most gifted filmmaker working today.  However, I cannot recommend this film, unless you are doing it to break down his directing style, compositions, etc.

I just thought the movie was kinda sluggish, and it never fully drew me in.  I'm all about slow burn, but this was a little too much for me.

Just got back a little bit ago from seeing Jupiter Ascending. An odd sci-fi "epic" that desperately tried to build it's own universe...kind of overwhelming to keep track of all the characters and their motivations mentally. I would descibe the narrative as being too convoluted in all the wrong spots with blatant exposition to ease the confusion.

For some reason during the film, I kept thinking that I should have been watching a Wachowski-directed epic based on the 90's cartoon Exo-Squad instead. I think it was becuase of the personal drama, strife, action within the solar system, and human/alien rights that match up nearly the same. I honestly believe the Wachowskis missed their true calling.

Edited by Metalhead

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I posted a few film reviews on some of the last movies I saw at the theaters i.e. Kingman: The Secret Service, Boyhood, Birdman, American Sniper, etc.

Check em out if you're interested. I hope 50 Shades of Grey is terrible so I can write a scathing review where I can rip it apart but hey, if it's good, I'll be complimentary. Don't see it though. 

http://roccocaz.squarespace.com

• Like 4

Kingsman was a lot of fun. I'd recommend it. Lots of homage to The Saint and The Avengers and vintage Bond of course, but created its own style/feeling too. And while taking on that kind of campy look often enough, and the "plot" being classic camp, they still avoid making the movie seeming  campy even though it is. There was zero feeling of those bad Batman movies trying a similar deal, for instance.

The fight/action scenes are staged/shot/choreographed with all kinds of cool, including that kind of freeze-frame stills mixed with slow-mo and extended time-lapse gimmicks while the viewing perspective changes as it unfolds. Well done.

And, for many of my fellow ES'ers, I have two words that are more important than anything else here...Sofia Boutella. She's an absolute fantasy in more than one wonderful way. Just awesome. I don't know how much of the fight scenes are her and not a stuntperson, but from what I quickly scanned online when I got home, she seems like she works out and boxes if not actually into MMA. Great character in the movie. And she acts well enough.  :lol:

• Like 1

Just watching Alexander and the Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day with my 10 year old.  Came out in 2014, comedy (family) with notables like Steve Carell, Jennifer Garner, and Kerris Dorsey (Bridget on Ray Donovan).

Good, light hearted fun about a boy who turned 12, had a bad day (when rest of family had nearly perfect one), and wishes they felt what it was like to have bad day.  They do, and hilarity ensues.

If you have kids or like family PG movies, this was fun and had some good laughs.

• Like 1

50 Shades of Grey -> saw this with the wife and after previously getting a quick recap of the books while she read them, I felt pretty good going in about what to expect. The movie is tame, and what I've heard, does the books no justice. If spanking your woman is the baddest that this guy does, I'm an awful person to my wife in the sack.

He does beat the hell out of her later but other than that its pretty mild. Typical woman stuff here, insanely rich guy, perfect looks, dark and mysterious and quite possibly an asshole. No wonder this book drove the women crazy lol. Suspension of disbelief required, dude plays beethoven, flies helicopters and somehow knows how to braid a woman's hair. That last one, come on, I'll beleive everything else but not that.

Anyway on to more manly stuff.

The Drop

The-Drop-2014-movie-poster.jpg

Bob Saginowski finds himself at the center of a robbery gone awry and entwined in an investigation that digs deep into the neighborhood's past where friends, families, and foes all work together to make a living - no matter the cost.

Tom Hardy is quickly becoming my favorite actor. The way he carries movies and dominates any scene with just his prescence is impressive to watch. He's extremely talented and nails another one here as Bob, a man trying to get by in a bad neighborhood.

It's fairly standard mobster stuff with the final Gandolfini role before his death. He's great here as usual playing a familiar character for him.

This movie has a lot of slow portions that serve as more of a character study of Hardy but there is a real nice payoff for it later in the movie. I really liked it, but again I think it was elevated greatly by Hardy's performance. I don't think the story itself is as good as Gone Baby Gone or Mystic River which were similar books by the same writer( though they each had different screenwriters where The Drop is the actual author of the books)

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

I'm not gonna lie. I kind of liked 50 shades. Granted I had read the reviews and had low expectations but I was captivated and left wanting the sequel. I'm not a big movie guy though when it comes to breaking down plots and reality, so I guess I'm easily amused. Just didn't understand the awful reviews.

The Interview. It's streaming on Netflix for free already. I liked it, it's exactly what I expected, I like Seth Rogan and James Franco. It's silly/crazy/vulgar comedy, which I like from time to time.

I thought it was hilarious. Stupid and vulgar but I was LOLing more than any movie in recent memory

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

I am a husband/dad with little movie times. I watched a couple on airplanes.

"Gone Girl" was probably the best... I missed the opening 5 mins the first time around and it brought the movie full circle when I saw it on the plane ride back.

"This is Where I leave You" would be funnier if I was younger but I didn't relate to the family at all... it was okay, but not fantastic.. although I liked the ending.

Saw some Japanese movie about a bored housewife turned bank teller having an affair with college boy... wanted to turn it off due how ridiculous of a story it was... I guess I need to be a middle age Japanese female to appreciate the whole "breaking the chains of society".

"Fury", I really enjoyed it... typical war movie fare, but with tanks. Fun stuff and better than expected.

Tried to sleep during some new Dracula type of movie...

• Like 1

The Raid 2. Easily my favorite action movie of all time now.

Fun ride, huh?  I'm not sure which one I like better, the sequel or the original.  The fight scene at the end of Raid 2 might be better than the two brothers vs the little guy in Raid 1.  Both are instant classics.  For whatever reason, hollywood just can't make movies feel that authentic.  The far east owns that realm.  The Departed, The Town, Training Day, Heat..and dozens of others.  They simply can't hold a candle to the authenticity of the asian movies like Raid, Man From Nowhere, I Saw the Devil, Old Boy, Memories of Murder, Mother, etc.  its like Asian cinema isn't scared to take it to the next level of darkness like Hollywood is.  Asia OWNS the gritty/dark thrillers, IMO.

• Like 3

I'm not gonna lie. I kind of liked 50 shades. Granted I had read the reviews and had low expectations but I was captivated and left wanting the sequel. I'm not a big movie guy though when it comes to breaking down plots and reality, so I guess I'm easily amused. Just didn't understand the awful reviews.

I thought it was hilarious. Stupid and vulgar but I was LOLing more than any movie in recent memory

No, he does not poop.  He no have butt hole.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

its like Asian cinema isn't scared to take it to the next level of darkness like Hollywood is.  Asia OWNS the gritty/dark thrillers, IMO.

I like 2 slightly better. But, yeah, I never see Hollywood going this dark with a movie. I think people here in the states would flip out. It would be like Janet Jackson's nipple all over again.

• Like 1

Last non-concert movie I saw in a theatre: Grown Ups 1

Last concert movie I saw in a theatre: Morrissey 25 Live

Last movie I saw on BluRay: Elysium

Last movie I saw on Netflix: The Interview

Edited by mbws

Still need to see Elysium. I'm looking forward to Chappie too. It's been getting some flak but I think it has the chance to be a deep and emotional ride similar to how District 9 was before the action focused third act.

Speaking of those 3 movies, Blompkamp, the director of them is making the next Alien movie too. Apparently it will take place after Aliens and remove 3 and beyond from the timeline

• Like 1

Speaking of those 3 movies, Blompkamp, the director of them is making the next Alien movie too. Apparently it will take place after Aliens and remove 3 and beyond from the timeline

Wow, that sounds really awesome. So no Roc and the prison? And thank god no clone Ripleys from resurrection lol.

Wait...maybe Hicks is still alive?!

Edited by Chew

Still need to see Elysium. I'm looking forward to Chappie too. It's been getting some flak but I think it has the chance to be a deep and emotional ride similar to how District 9 was before the action focused third act.

Elysium was pretty damn good. Kind of a different take on the genre with the plot.

And I loved District 9 and have bren waiting forever for a sequel

• Like 1

Elysium was pretty damn good. Kind of a different take on the genre with the plot.

And I loved District 9 and have bren waiting forever for a sequel

All of this. Elysium was heavy on the agenda, but a really cool film. Just about everything Matt Deezy touches turns to classic.