Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

steveo21

Great episode last night......people may complain, but this is what is so good about the writing.  They give back stories, and develop the characters, etc.   They could have lazily moved on with the Governor vs. the prison but instead they went back and showed us what he had been through since the ending of S3. 

As soon as the episode ended I told my girlfriend that Facebook wasn't going to be happy with this episode. Very first post was something along the lines of "Worst Walking Dead episode ever". I loved the episode. I'm also a fan of the Governor though and loved that we got to see what he had been through since killing his people at the end of last season.

I enjoyed the episode last night and we will probably get another Governor centered one next week based on the preview. I do think maybe they could have done it over like four episodes during the sickness at the prison, but maybe people would have been confused with the timeline of events if you were going from one scene to the next. My guess is this is all a flashback up until the point we saw the Governor outside the prison on the second to last episode.

The guy who plays the Governor does a great job. You get this character who cares about people, but is also a complete nut job. The actor does a great job with the balance.

From the timeline, it looks like we are caught up with the Gov. after the scene where the walker falls into the fire and the other guy shoots it. Now I'm wondering if it was not the other guys who were messing with the prison and the Gov. just stumbled into it. 

The guy who plays the Governor does a great job. You get this character who cares about people, but is also a complete nut job. The actor does a great job with the balance.

Oh yeah, he does a GREAT job! He really does excellent work w/ the complexities of the Gov.

I really enjoyed the episode too.  Just when you think you know what the next episode will highlight, they go and throw in a new wrinkle.  I loved seeing how he went from rock-bottom, barely hanging on, just wandering around - to having a renewed spirit - even though he has done so many evil things.

Really sets up for an interesting next episode - wonder how the 2 dudes the Gov escaped w/ are going to react to him now.  Plus you have the new family the Gov is w/ & some other new characters that the Gov's former henchmen have linked up with.

I'm not really sure how I feel yet about this new Governor storyline, and I don't think it'll be fair to judge it either way until the whole character is wrapped up.  The Governor's development from here will decide whether last night made any sense or not.

It was a cool episode in the sense that it basically told a standalone movie of a guy who lost the people he was with, lost his will to live, found comfort in new, interesting characters, and slowly learned to adopt them as his family.  Also neat to set pretty much the entire episode in a creepy, run-down apartment building.

That was all cool, except for the fact that this nice guy who is now joking with a little girl about how he was a pirate, recently gunned down dozens of innocent people in cold blood, wanted Merle and Daryl to fight each other to the death in front of a crowd, and sexually assaulted Maggie.  Among other terrible things.

The Governor as a character was really clumsily handled from the start, as he constantly flipped between a somewhat logical guy to a cartoonishly evil villain at the drop of a hat, but that's not the current showrunner's fault, so I guess he's trying to make the most of this major character before finishing his arc.

I hope that this turns out to be a successful re-boot of the Governor prior to either his final redemption (which will have to be pretty huge considering the awful things he did while running Woodbury) or his last breaking point before going completely off the rails as a dangerous lunatic.  

I have a feeling that they're setting it up for things with his new "family" to go horribly wrong and he ends up coming for Rick and the prison gang with laser focus.

what if he was forced by events to go to the prison and appeal for sanctuary for his new peeps?

Ricks mind is blown and Junior goes Rambo until Daryl takes him down,while Michone makes the Gov a split personality.

I wasn't a fan.  I can't believe the devoted a whole show to the governor.  It went past story telling for me.  He has already shown he isn't trustworthy, now some little girl he finds in a house suddenly changes his outlook on life?  After he gunned down countless folks. 

I agree with Facebook mentioned earlier, worst episode ever.

Now the governor will come to the prison with his new family asking for forgiveness.

People are not simply one thing, Morrissey has been doing a helluva job showing the breadth of his character. Human beings are some of the most damnably complex things in existence, complaining because he isn't some totality of evil is shortsighted and misses the larger point of the show. People lost in this nightmare, trying to be people, hanging onto shreds of their past even while forced to be coldly brutal for sheer survival, carrying that burden of what is/was and what's gotta be drives the drama of it all.

Being the head cheese of Woodbury forced a part of him to grow that never would have happened before, and it wasn't all bad. Personally I'd be cutting everybody a lil slack, if you aren't a bit mental by now then you're just not paying attention (like the women in the apartment). Schizo is the new normal.

The Gov could be a major help to the group.  Or a major reason for its demise.

I'm interested to see why they are trying so hard to get us to like him.  Maybe his betrayal later will be more complete, if the audience is enamored with him?

Good season so far, interested to see where it leads.

The Gov could be a major help to the group.  Or a major reason for its demise.

I'm interested to see why they are trying so hard to get us to like him.  Maybe his betrayal later will be more complete, if the audience is enamored with him?

Good season so far, interested to see where it leads.

I'm still thinking that it's impossible for the Governor to have a happy ending. This last episode did a damn good job of making you feel for him and even root for him though.

Can't forget that he's still the same guy who did all that crazy **** last season.  Which includes: mowing down the military squad in order to take their weapons AFTER putting their pilots head in a jar, killing his own people, torturing Glenn/Maggie/Andrea, etc.

The lady in the woods from the first episode was talking about the things that need to be done in order to survive and said something along the lines of "you don't get to come back from that". That seems to have been true for Carol and I have a feeling it'll hold true for the good ol' Governor.

Ok I have a question did he meet the little girl and the new people before or after he was watching Rick and Carl in the Garden? I'm so confused. 

I understand what happens in the comics but the show has often gone a different way than the comics that's why I am confused.

before.  The entire episode yesterday was to show what happened after he gunned his peeps down leading up to him standing at the fence.

At least that's what I got from it.

It seems like the next episode might be another "Governor episode" as well. Maybe this next episode will lead up to whatever has him watching the prison and then the mid-season finale episode will bring the two together. I'm pumped to see what happens though.

I'm not really sure how I feel yet about this new Governor storyline, and I don't think it'll be fair to judge it either way until the whole character is wrapped up.  The Governor's development from here will decide whether last night made any sense or not.

That was all cool, except for the fact that this nice guy who is now joking with a little girl about how he was a pirate, recently gunned down dozens of innocent people in cold blood, wanted Merle and Daryl to fight each other to the death in front of a crowd, and sexually assaulted Maggie.  Among other terrible things.

I hope that this turns out to be a successful re-boot of the Governor prior to either his final redemption (which will have to be pretty huge considering the awful things he did while running Woodbury) or his last breaking point before going completely off the rails as a dangerous lunatic.  

As I pointed out earlier I believe the zombie virus that infects everyone also causes temporary insanity in many and possibly all infected. Think about within Rick's own group you've had sociopathic or unstable behavior by Rick, Shane, Carol, and  Carl. This could explain the Governors and many others violent behavior toward others. It could also explain how these Zombies managed to overrun the country and defeat the military and police (There are so many Zombies because most people killed each other - i.e. first episode where soldiers were massacring the hospital staff). 

The Governor's insanity, like Rick's and Carl's may have abated.

before.  The entire episode yesterday was to show what happened after he gunned his peeps down leading up to him standing at the fence.

At least that's what I got from it.

I actually thought it was the other way around. Here's the order I interpreted it:

1) The Gov keeping a watch on the prison. Sees they're doing well.

2) The campfire scene where he's losing his mind and doesn't care about the biter coming at him.

3) The next morning when his 2 henchmen abandon him (the tents and the truck were gone) since they see he's not right mentally

4) He burns down Woodbury

5) He wanders for several months alone and assumes the name  that he saw written on a barn as "We Love You, Brian ___" (or something to that effect)

6) The events at the apartment building

7) the Gov and his new family hitting the road and run into his henchmen again at the old biter pit site.

I don't watch the Talking Dead, so maybe they touched on it then?

I actually thought it was the other way around. Here's the order I interpreted it:

1) The Gov keeping a watch on the prison. Sees they're doing well.

2) The campfire scene where he's losing his mind and doesn't care about the biter coming at him.

3) The next morning when his 2 henchmen abandon him (the tents and the truck were gone) since they see he's not right mentally

4) He burns down Woodbury

5) He wanders for several months alone and assumes the name  that he saw written on a barn as "We Love You, Brian ___" (or something to that effect)

6) The events at the apartment building

7) the Gov and his new family hitting the road and run into his henchmen again at the old biter pit site.

I don't watch the Talking Dead, so maybe they touched on it then?

From the "previously on the Walking Dead..." intro and the very first minute, they were trying to set up that this was him in the immediate aftermath of the Woodbury massacre, and what happened to him next.  I expect we'll get at least 2 more gov-centric episodes before we get to the part (maybe at the end of the 2nd) where he finds his way back to the prison.

I don't watch Talking Dead either. 

that's a interesting theory

many people go a bit nuts when things go really South though,you see it anytime order breaks down and pressures mount.

it tends to bring out the best and worst in us

But think about the predicament this would put the audience in.  We all want the Governor dead because fo his actions in Woodbury, but then how are we to feel if he wasn't really responsible? Good way to mess with the audience.

Archived