Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Because John Wall is this team’s best interior defender.  Has been for a while. 

Yep.  This fourth quarter, John has been the friggin weakside help.  lol.  And the hell of it is that he's been great at it.  Getting blocks, forcing mistakes, forced a bizarre jump ball.

Just now, Destino said:

Not even close.  I said this when he got the contract.  Wings that can’t dribble and shoot should never get max deals.  Otto cant dribble. 

I just don't think this is true.  Klay Thompson can't dribble.  Otto actually has a ton of scoring tools, he just doesn't use them.  He doesn't want to score.  It's ****ing bizarre.

He doesn't have the killer instinct to be the scorer that he has the talent to be.  That he's paid to be.   He doesn't have the confidence.  He wants to be this glue guy who plays defense and rebounds and doesn't get in anyone's way.  He is terrified to have the ball stick in his hands.  It's like a timer goes off in his head as soon as he touches the ball that has him thinking "PASS PASS PASS" if it reaches one and a half seconds.

And if he is running off the ball and is the open man in the fourth quarter and he sees John or Brad looking at him, he will feign some BS reason to not pass it to him or space the floor funny so they can't feed him so that they will look off him.

Otto ****ing thinks he's Dennis Rodman when he's not.  It's maddening.

• Like 1

The only kind of offense where Otto could become a volume scorer is one where you take away his freedom to hide.  One that is super rigid and runs sets every half court possession and puts the ball in his hands on the perimeter and in the high post at the start of most of them.  Otto is way too comfortable fading into the background and hiding in the far corner otherwise.

I don't want to call him a **** because he's not afraid of hard work.  He's not afraid of pain.  His activity level on defense and on the glass and on loose balls is the total opposite of his activity level on offense.  But he is a shrinking violet on that side of the court.  He has no confidence in himself.  He has no alpha dog in him.  Paul Pierce was right.  Otto needs to get punched in the face over and over again until he fights back.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Otto needs to get punched in the face over and over again until he fights back.

And I'm like 90% sure Wall and Beal tried that last year around the time of the debacle team meeting coming out.  There's no doubt in my mind they have given up on him in that regard which has added to the tension of the current situation.

Seeing you and @Destino slowly start to call him out more over this given I've been saying it for almost two years now doesn't warm my heart at all.  I did not want to be right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:
Keef ain't good for much on the court, but them Morris boys are well known for their hands. Keef might smack somebody if he finds out who it is

Good, Ernie, can't run the team from ICU.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Go Forward with Beal, Oubre, Sato, Bryant, Brown, Picks and Some Cap Space 

That's a ticket to the permanent 6th seed.  If you trade Wall, you've got to trade Beal too.  You've got to bottom out and get lucky and get a kid like Zion Williamson to rebuild around.  You're not getting someone like that outside of the top two or three picks.

I would keep Sato, Bryant, and Brown though.  I like them and they're worth holding on to.  I like Oubre too, but not if he's going to cost real money to keep.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's a ticket to the permanent 6th seed.  If you trade Wall, you've got to trade Beal too.  You've got to bottom out and get lucky and get a kid like Zion Williamson to rebuild around.  You're not getting someone like that outside of the top two or three picks.

I don't agree. Beal is 25 and one of those top tier players. You can build around him. Those draft picks are far from a guarantee to be anything close to Beal.

With a competent GM, you can start around him. Trade everyone else if need be

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I really hate the way Keef Morris plays basketball.

I love this, he was the worst trade, and he has been terrible since he came here.. He plays when he wants and its not just this year, always, he sucks...

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The only kind of offense where Otto could become a volume scorer is one where you take away his freedom to hide.  One that is super rigid and runs sets every half court possession and puts the ball in his hands on the perimeter and in the high post at the start of most of them.  Otto is way too comfortable fading into the background and hiding in the far corner otherwise.

I don't want to call him a **** because he's not afraid of hard work.  He's not afraid of pain.  His activity level on defense and on the glass and on loose balls is the total opposite of his activity level on offense.  But he is a shrinking violet on that side of the court.  He has no confidence in himself.  He has no alpha dog in him.  Paul Pierce was right.  Otto needs to get punched in the face over and over again until he fights back.

Steve why was he free at GT, I am lost where he lost the confidence? Was it stupid whittmen? He seemed to have no issues at GT.

15 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I don't agree. Beal is 25 and one of those top tier players. You can build around him. Those draft picks are far from a guarantee to be anything close to Beal.

I dont see that at all, beal is a compliment player for sure, but no way you can make him durant or curry, or porzinges, or lebron... You cant build a team around him, you add him to a team on cusp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

I love this, he was the worst trade, and he has been terrible since he came here.. He plays when he wants and its not just this year, always, he sucks...

Keif is a 20/10 power in the NBA if the played hard every night. 

He plays hard maybe every 5th game or so. Maybe.

19 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I disagree.  Beal is an All Star but he's not a transcendent player.  You've got to get a Giannis or a Curry or Davis or Harden or Durant or Westbrook to get to the kind of one or two seed that can truly compete for rings.

Beal just keeps you good enough to never pick high enough in the draft to land a kid like Zion or Ayton or Donkic.  The odds of finding the next Giannis at pick 15 are astronomically bad.

12 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Steve why was he free at GT, I am lost where he lost the confidence? Was it stupid whittmen? He seemed to have no issues at GT. 

The system was so rigid at GT.  And Otto ran offense there his sophomore year.  And truth be told, it's just a different world comparing even big time Big East ball with the NBA.  So much more pressure.  So much more star power.  Egos are so much bigger.  Strength levels and talent levels are so much better.  It was really comfortable for Otto to just fade into the background after he got drafted.  There was no pressure on him because John and Brad carried the whole load.  It was an issue for him from day one.  And now his on court habits have been solidified.  Maybe things would have been different if he'd been drafted onto a team to be the first option, or if we had let him walk to Brooklyn.  But he is always, always, always going to be little brother to John and Brad so long as they're all here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The system was so rigid at GT.  And Otto ran offense there his sophomore year.  And truth be told, it's just a different world comparing even big time Big East ball with the NBA.  

I do get that, but Otto had some much confidence in his shot, and even taking peeps off dribble, really thought he would develop into a different player at this level. I believe now the org stunted his growth and ruined him too.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I guess that's what I was asking for but you didnt have to son me so hard lls. 

So lemme ask you, what do you do with Wall if you cant get him to be less ball dominate? Hes obviously not good enough to do it and raise the play of his team past whatever negative effect his attitude has enough to win a chip. So what's your next move if you were in our shoes. 

Also I'm very curious if you guys think that you can build a squad to win with a super ball dominate player like Wall. Cause to me it sounds like you dont think you can. 

Can you win a championship with a ball dominant player?  Yes.  Lebron is a ball dominant player.  Playing that way is even Durant's basic instinct.  You put the right team around him, and you can win with Durant playing as a ball dominant player.  It seems that having great players that instinctively move (e.g. Curry) is actually the rarity.  Most of these guys are great early and are taught by coaches to take the ball and do their thing and that builds their ball dominant instinct.

(And note, Curry didn't come up as one of those guys that was a great player.)

Can you win a championship with a ball dominant player at the caliber is Wall as your best player?  I think it is exceedingly unlikely.

The Wizards essentially have 2 choices (and I said the same thing several years ago, and the situation hasn't really changed):

1.  To simply let the situation play out.  I suspect they're better than they've played and wouldn't be surprised to see this team still sneaks into one of the last Eastern conference playoff spots.  Maybe you get a 2 or 3 years of bottom tier playoff caliber performances out of this team before they slip below playoff caliber level.  Maybe you get exceptionally lucky with a draft pick and get a guy that surprisingly is much better than people expected very quickly that fits really well, and that gives you a boost to the next level or get a similar surprise in free agency.  Without that sort of luck, I don't see (and haven't seen for years) a path where this team really becomes a championship contender.

2.  Tear it down.  For some people, like Porter and even Wall, you might have actually have to pay people with picks to get them to take their contracts and because of that, you are looking at probably at least 2 to 3 years (and maybe 4 or 5 depending on the luck with ping balls and the quality of the drafts) before you even really start to try to build it back up.  (Really, if they had torn it down back in 2015 when I originally made this point, they could have actually gotten pieces for Wall, Beal, and Porter to jump start the next rebuild, but it is too late for that now).

This team cant even tank properly. 

It would be so Wizards to be just competitive enough that they ensure they have no real chance at the top of the lottery.  

12 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Beal still seems like a complement to me.  He's a guy that builds around another guy, rather than the centerpiece, IMO.

If you keep him, you're still looking for that alpha.

Edited by justice98

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I disagree.  Beal is an All Star but he's not a transcendent player.  You've got to get a Giannis or a Curry or Davis or Harden or Durant or Westbrook to get to the kind of one or two seed that can truly compete for rings.

Beal just keeps you good enough to never pick high enough in the draft to land a kid like Zion or Ayton or Donkic.  The odds of finding the next Giannis at pick 15 are astronomically bad.

I feel this way about John Wall also. He's a bad-a$$ and he may be a more complete on court player than Brad but he's not transcendent. We don't have one of those.

I have never in the past 7 years thought DC had even a remote chance at a title or even a Finals appearance. I get onboard when they get hot but I never fool myself into hoping for anything beyond an Eastern Conference Finals loss, which of course we have not achieved yet.