Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

And for another, I think the burden is on you to demonstrate that we could have signed X player for Y amount of money and that would have produced Z more wins because...

I don't care if lots of people who've barely followed the team the past few seasons disagree with me, or if I piss anyone off in this thread by arguing against nonsense.

I see. 

So having 8 expiring contracts at the same time is because we couldn't find anyone last offseason that made sense as a piece to help build on our last two playoff appearances?  Alrighty, then, you have fun with that.  I noticed those "x number of wins per said player" stats you've been throwing around lately, though I would've loved Paul Millsap being here (that's one off the top of my head) or at least tried. 

Talking like people who don't agree with you barely watch the team makes this conversation/debate/whatever you want to call it with you pointless.

• Like 1

In all honesty, Nene's production decline far below his salary probably cost us more than roster maneuvering by Grunfeld in anticipation of KD2DC.  We didn't have the cap space to make any major signings in 2014 and 2015 because of Nene.  Honestly, as much as I think KD was always a pipe dream for us, I think many GMs would have tried their best to minimize salary commitments going into 2016-17, not just because of KD, but because of the increased cap, Nene expiration, and Beal cap hold, we had a chance to add a max player.  That's flexibility you probably don't want to give up without a real good reason.  I totally agree that Milsap would have been a great fit here, but there was no way to take him on without dumping Nene's salary, which would have cost assets obviously.

As much as i am unhappy with the KD2DC fiasco (and Leonsis's inexplicable tantrum), I tend to agree that the lack of growth in 2016 were due to things like Whitman's shortcoming as a coach, inability to replace Pierce (leadership and production), stupid idea to try to copycat GSW small ball in the beginning of the season without the horses to do it.  Injury to Beal and the slow integration back was obviously a factor too.  But really, you could tell by mid-season that players were just not responding to Whitman at all.  A good GM could probably balance both goals of keeping cap flexibility while replacing lost assets like Ariza and Pierce, but we have Grunfeld obviously.  And I don't care that he had another year of guaranteed contract, it was clear after 2015 playoff that Whitman had reached his ceiling and he bumbled onto small ball after stumbling into the playoff (players were probably listening to Pierce and Cassell anyway).  It was time for a new coach.  To me, another year of Whitman was probably the biggest problem with this season. 

• Like 3

Nene was getting 13 million and when we took on that contract he was expected to be a productive highly capable starter.  It definitely hurt when we still had to that huge contract on the books and he was reduced to a backup role. 

... and we just signed a back up center for 16 million a year, so we could keep that tradition going. 

• Like 1

What I wrote was clear, maybe you should try reading it again.

No, I will not. Nor am I interested in addressing the rest of your BS excuses. I'll just wait until October when this team disappoints and you'll be writing essays on here that agree with everything I wrote.

I see. 

So having 8 expiring contracts at the same time is because we couldn't find anyone last offseason that made sense as a piece to help build on our last two playoff appearances?  Alrighty, then, you have fun with that.  I noticed those "x number of wins per said player" stats you've been throwing around lately, though I would've loved Paul Millsap being here (that's one off the top of my head) or at least tried. 

Talking like people who don't agree with you barely watch the team makes this conversation/debate/whatever you want to call it with you pointless.

We didn't have anywhere near the cap space to sign Paul Millsap last summer.

What's pointless is having a discussion with posters who don't know what they're talking about because they barely watch the team, if at all, and are only popping in here the past few weeks to complain about the FO and Durant.

Obviously it sucks not landing KD or another AS, and of course it also sucks not booting Ernie, but I'm very curious to see how much better we'll be minus Wittless. I think this roster is better than last year's record showed. I'd kinda like to retain Alan Anderson if possible. Course, if Beal gets hurt again.......

When I am back at a computer tomorrow I'll go back through your posts about how each move you describe above was part of the endgame to get KD. You (and many others) have posted about it for two years. Changing the narrative after the fact is silly.

In fairness, a lot of people, SM included, HAVE stated over the years that there needed to be a plan B in case KD didn't work out. 

Yes, it looks bad when your prime target won't even grant you a meeting....however, nothing was a given. 

I do think that this team will be anywhere from 3-5 wins better, but I also think that there could also be a trade in the works somewhere down the line.  There is enough cap space to absorb salary. 

In fairness, a lot of people, SM included, HAVE stated over the years that there needed to be a plan B in case KD didn't work out.

Yes, it looks bad when your prime target won't even grant you a meeting....however, nothing was a given.

I do think that this team will be anywhere from 3-5 wins better, but I also think that there could also be a trade in the works somewhere down the line. There is enough cap space to absorb salary.

100% agree that people have asked for a plan B. But there is no way you can be caught off guard that plan A was never even an option. It's simply impossible for a front office not to know if a player is interested in them or not.

... welp... seems like there is enough churn in the top 8 to see if the butter improves.

I don't get why fans are salty.. FAs didn't want to be here. There were 25 teams going after 8 top of the line FAs (estimate) -- 17 teams were going to come up short.

Finally got blocked by Garrett Temple on Twitter lol...oh well. Adios Garrett.

How/why would you get blocked by Temple? He's a good dude. He deserves a raise. The guy gave 100% at 3 positions for like 3-4 years. He started just about as much as Brad did at the 2, and was an emergency backup 1 and 3 as well while playing for minimum wage. Above all, he was pretty serviceable as well. Did you expect him to stay here and work for peanuts again?

• Like 2

All I hear is how this team is ****. Need you be reminded this team made the playoffs 2 out of last 3 years and was afflicted last year by injury? What's to say this team doesn't make it again this year? Anyone can make the playoffs in the East. Anyone. Wall, healthy Beal, Porter, Nene, Gortat. Good stuff. 

• Like 1

All I hear is how this team is ****. Need you be reminded this team made the playoffs 2 out of last 3 years and was afflicted last year by injury? What's to say this team doesn't make it again this year? Anyone can make the playoffs in the East. Anyone. Wall, healthy Beal, Porter, Nene, Gortat. Good stuff. 

the plan was to be beyond simply making the playoffs at this point, we were supposed to be entering in a position of being a considered 2nd best in the east behind Cleveland

if, as you say, "anyone can make the playoffs in the East", its not that big of an accomplishment. Especially when we've already crossed that threshold

So basically you were being an ass and finally got blocked?

Not sure to be honest? Normally I'm pretty nice to everyone on Twitter. I was kinda shocked to see he blocked me. Maybe I ****ed about him during a game and he searched his name or something.

How/why would you get blocked by Temple? He's a good dude. He deserves a raise. The guy gave 100% at 3 positions for like 3-4 years. He started just about as much as Brad did at the 2, and was an emergency backup 1 and 3 as well while playing for minimum wage. Above all, he was pretty serviceable as well. Did you expect him to stay here and work for peanuts again?

Like I said, I'm not sure? I'm not one to talk **** and hide behind a fake name on Twitter. Could be a similar situation to Jalen Rose, whom searches his name and blocks anyone that brings up 81 points.

• Like 1

I don't blame him, there's no way we or anyone could compete with an opportunity like that. Signing for 2 years speaks a lot to the fact that he absolutely wants to ring over anything else (leaving door open to bounce elsewhere if it blows up in his face or go where he'll be most happy once he does have his rings - LeBron pre-Cleveland return territory)

I don't blame him, there's no way we or anyone could compete with an opportunity like that. Signing for 2 years speaks a lot to the fact that he absolutely wants to ring over anything else (leaving door open to bounce elsewhere if it blows up in his face or go where he'll be most happy once he does have his rings - LeBron pre-Cleveland return territory)

At the end of the day, not having a ring probably would have been worse for his legacy.  If he gets multiple rings in GSW, how many people are going to care that he wasn't around for the first one?  Ironically, GSW losing this final may have made it easier for KD to jump on board.