Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I was in the country for the weekend and didn't have internet access. Holy **** did I miss a lot of Wiz news.

Our two best bench players Dudley and Sessions signed elsewhere and we signed PF Andrew Nicholson and C Ian Mahinmi!

The only thing we are going to be "fringe" of, is whether or not we get the #1 overall pick.  Of course the roster could change between now and  opening night, but this roster right now would be lucky not to finish dead last in the conference.

I think you went a little over-negative here.

• Like 2

Ernie is putting together a very fine 35 win roster here. lol

I don't get why all of these morons sign with Western Conference teams.  It's sooooooooooo much easier to make it deeper in the East than in the West. 

I get Cleveland won the title, but they are not unbeatable.  Let's not pretend they won 70+ games last year.  Even our squad went 2-2 against them.  LBJ sat out one of those games, which we lost. 

And Steve--

Buddy. I know you are probably the biggest Wizards/NBA fan in here. But come on, we all had visions of KD dancing in our heads two years ago, including you. What you typed in that one paragraph that everyone gave you crap about, was not only revisionist history, but I felt you have dismissed all of Ernie's mistakes and are trying to make the recent moves to be better than they really are.

Every year you declare we'll win 50+ games and we never do. I don't see that happening again this year with the roster currently the way it is. Maybe one day your prediction will come true. I hope so.

Fair enough. I know I come off too harsh and opinionated. I know most people just scroll through my posts. But what I was actually arguing is that the team didn't compromise itself by planning to go after Durant this summer. We can use the cap space we saved to offer him a max on other players. We didn't spend draft picks on lesser players to appease him, we spent our last two picks on guys at his position. We didn't hire Scott Brooks just because he was KD's old coach in OKC. We hired him because he was one of the best coaches on the market.

Complaining about Ernie after every move is beating a long dead horse. It's boring. I just want to talk about basketball. For example: the Ian Mahinmi acquisition is interesting and worth discussion. He was one of the best defensive players in the NBA and the key cog for the Pacers D, which was basically the third best in the NBA last year. His individual impact is measured in DRPM, where he was 3rd best among centers. What makes him special is that he's so big bodied and able to stone low post players and eat up space in the lane and guard the rim, while also having the quickness and length to recover to shooters against small line ups. Last year Paul George played half his minutes at PF. So Indy had a defensive mismatch at PF for a huge amount of minutes and they were still an elite defense. Mahinmi was the key. And that means now we can try and do what they did. Think about lineups where we can put Porter at the 4 and play Wall-Beal-Sato and Wall-Beal-Oubre without getting torched.

Mahinmi is also an interesting offensive player because of how much he grew on that side of the court last season. He really shined in his new starting role, especially in their small lineups. He is a good pick and roll finisher and he improved a great deal as a PnR passer. This guy is a valuable two way player now.

His acquisition raises Xs and Os and minutes distribution questions. A successful platoon between him and Gortat means we're like one more small ball forward away from having the horses to actually run the offense correctly, and do so without having the defense go to the dogs.

• Like 2

Ernie is putting together a very fine 35 win roster here. lol

I don't get why all of these morons sign with Western Conference teams.  It's sooooooooooo much easier to make it deeper in the East than in the West. 

I get Cleveland won the title, but they are not unbeatable.  Let's not pretend they won 70+ games last year.  Even our squad went 2-2 against them.  LBJ sat out one of those games, which we lost. 

We won 41 with all the ups and downs this past season...no way they win less than that. 

There's more competent coaching and a deeper bench. 

Also...KD going to GS better serve as a SERIOUS wake-up call to our front office.  Wall is a free agent in 2019, and they have to figure out a way to maximize the next 3 seasons.

• Like 1

We won 41 with all the ups and downs this past season...no way they win less than that. 

There's more competent coaching and a deeper bench. 

Also...KD going to GS better serve as a SERIOUS wake-up call to our front office.  Wall is a free agent in 2019, and they have to figure out a way to maximize the next 3 seasons.

Oh I agree about the Wiz.  Just making light of our good buddy Ernie.  No reason we can't win 45 games if we're healthy.  It's just that there's only so far this roster will take you, that's all.  At least we won't have 12 free agents after this season.

I don't, and glad you're here even when I disagree with you.

Cheers. Sorry I was dick to you earlier. I actually do respect your posts, I was just painting with a broad brush before. I find that you are actually engaged and have been watching and following. Dave though, I know he barely follows the team.

There is not a regular in this thread that I have not pissed off and gotten into arguments with. And truth be told, this thread isn't nearly as contentious as it was four or five years ago, like when GACOLB and No Excuses fought with chipwich (and me sometimes) and Gator Bait and I used to rip into each other. I didn't even dislike Gator and I respected his knowledge and passion. He was just feisty and you could not help but argue with him. We probably should have gotten each other banned sometimes, but I'm pretty sure we never reported each others posts. Destino wasn't a mod yet, I don't think there was any supervision of this thread.

• Like 1

Question to the Wiz experts, how is Sessions off the bench at this point in his career?  Solid back-up PG?  Declining?  Hornets are going to sign him to fill our back-up PG spot.  I'd rather have Lin personally, but we couldn't afford him.

Sessions was a terrific fit in our up tempo offensive system. He solidified the back up PG position, which had been a major weakness for several years. He is not a confident shooter and he can't guard his position very well, but he is a fantastic transition ball handler and a good slasher who can create his own shot off the bounce. Good microwave offense from the bench. If you guys can run, he'll thrive.

• Like 1

Cheers. Sorry I was dick to you earlier. I actually do respect your posts, I was just painting with a broad brush before. I find that you are actually engaged and have been watching and following. Dave though, I know he barely follows the team.

There is not a regular in this thread that I have not pissed off and gotten into arguments with. And truth be told, this thread isn't nearly as contentious as it was four or five years ago, like when GACOLB and No Excuses fought with chipwich (and me sometimes) and Gator Bait and I used to rip into each other. I didn't even dislike Gator and I respected his knowledge and passion. He was just feisty and you could not help but argue with him. We probably should have gotten each other banned sometimes, but I'm pretty sure we never reported each others posts. Destino wasn't a mod yet, I don't think there was any supervision of this thread.

we don't acknowledge Destino's authority in this thread, he's a regular joe like anybody else around these parts

otherwise

200.gif

• Like 2

Rick Barry and Lebron and Bird are on the same level? lol

No, but anyone who was old enough to watch Barry play back in his day knows he got insane respect. He was amazing so I can see where some might give him that kind of credibility. It was a different NBA and he was super fly for a white guy.

• Like 1

The reports out of OKC that they realized Durant was leaving makes it worse that the Wizards didn't even get a meeting.  Had they built a good team they might have had a shot.  Instead Grunfeld limped into the season with a mediocre coach and a bunch of often injured mercenaries with expiring deals and completely **** the bed.  He tried to set himself up to make an easy offer instead of build a great team that needed to trade players to make room.  Plan blew up in his face magnificently.    

The reports out of OKC that they realized Durant was leaving makes it worse that the Wizards didn't even get a meeting.  Had they built a good team they might have had a shot.  Instead Grunfeld limped into the season with a mediocre coach and a bunch of often injured mercenaries with expiring deals and completely **** the bed.  He tried to set himself up to make an easy offer instead of build a great team that needed to trade players to make room.  Plan blew up in his face magnificently.    

Yep. As I said from the start, Grunfeld just isn't that type of GM with the foresight/vision to make a move for a guy like Durant. You need a Pat Riley type of GM.

@ShamsCharina - Free agent center Jason Smith has agreed to a deal with the Washington Wizards, league source tells The Vertical.

@JMichaelCSN - Wizards have agrees to terms with F/C Jason Smith. 3yrs/$5M with player option after year 2, league sources tell @CSNMA

Edited by STBonecrusher21