Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

@ShamsCharina - Free agent center Jason Smith has agreed to a deal with the Washington Wizards, league source tells The Vertical.

@JMichaelCSN - Wizards have agrees to terms with F/C Jason Smith. 3yrs/$5M with player option after year 2, league sources tell @CSNMA

Why?  Makes no sense....

we have 3 players, assuming Sato is actually decent, for 2 positions

Wall coming off surgery on both knees and Beal has a history. I see nothing wrong with this equation

Smith can play PF as well.

decent jumpshot inside of 3pt range, but doesn't offer much beyond that

i hope there is a corresponding move because this is hard to rationalize

@ShamsCharina - Free agent center Jason Smith has agreed to a deal with the Washington Wizards, league source tells The Vertical.

@JMichaelCSN - Wizards have agrees to terms with F/C Jason Smith. 3yrs/$5M with player option after year 2, league sources tell @CSNMA

I honestly have no memory of Jason Smith. I am trying to picture him and I'm drawing a blank. Don't know what to make of the deal.

This is our depth chart now:

PG: Wall, Burke

SG: Beal, Sato, McClellan

SF: Porter, Oubre, Eddie

PF: Morris, Nicholson

C: Gortat, Mahinmi, Smith

That's too much money on bigs and not enough on small forwards. We're set up to where we can play small ball with Mahinmi and Gortat at C but we need the right wings to do it. As of right now, Otto is our only one who can play spot minutes at PF. We needed a good vet SF with a big body, or else we're going to have to thrust Kelly Oubre into a role that he is probably not strong enough or ready for.

We also need to hedge our bets on Burke by bringing in a third PG IMO. I'm for trying to reclaim Burke because I liked the player he was coming out of college. But his lack of success in the NBA means we have to be prepared for him to fail. We need a credible third PG, even if it is someone cheap like Shane Larkin.

Can confirm Jason Smith to the Wizards for 3 years & $16 million. Wizards get their fifth big man. Imagine room exception will go to a wing.

Jason Smith led the NBA in pick & pop scoring in 2016 just ahead of LaMarcus Aldridge & Karl-Anthony Towns. Made 49% of jumpers (mostly 2s).

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not sure I trust Burke yet, and my feeling are Sato will the primary fill in should Beal or Wall get hurt. I agree, we need another guard that can play PG, and fully support the Shane Larkin idea.

Isn't Jarell Eddie still on the roster? Shows him under contract on Pro-Basketball Reference.

That much money tied up in center and planning not to trade sounds like preparing for Marcin or Ian to get hurt and hopefully not overwork the other.

Agree we need another Forward that can play 3 or 4, but waiting and seeing.

Edited by Renegade7

they are putting a lot of faith in Sato adapting to NBA play

Not just him. Entire group of perimeter players is too young and inexperienced. Wall and Beal are the most seasoned vets in the group. McClellan is a true rookie along with Sato. Burke is underdeveloped. Eddie and Oubre barely played as rookies.

• Like 2

Not just him. Entire group of perimeter players is too young and inexperienced. Wall and Beal are the most seasoned vets in the group. McClellan is a true rookie along with Sato. Burke is underdeveloped. Eddie and Oubre barely played as rookies.

Meanwhile, all 3 of our centers are pushing 30. Bang up job Ernie.

Ernie's future press release: "At the time we thought we had a very solid group of guys.  We had no way of knowing some of the younger players would be relied on as they were."

:lol:

Gotta respect Rudy Gay for trying to dunk on him three times in a row in that possession at the end. That was Javale-esque.

Clown or not, it occurs to me that Rudy Gay might be a good candidate for the vet small ball forward we need. Wonder what it would take to trade for him?

• Like 4

:lol:

Gotta respect Rudy Gay for trying to dunk on him three times in a row in that possession at the end. That was Javale-esque.

Clown or not, it occurs to me that Rudy Gay might be a good candidate for the vet small ball forward we need. Wonder what it would take to trade for him?

Funny you mention it because the idea of trading for Rudy has been on my mind as well.

I think you'd have to include Porter in any deal for Rudy.

Funny you mention it because the idea of trading for Rudy has been on my mind as well.

I think you'd have to include Porter in any deal for Rudy.

That would be an awful deal.  But trading for a washed, soon-to-be 30 year old SF, while giving up a young asset would be right up EG's alley. 

• Like 2