Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/inside-access-whats-behind-wizards-offseason-moves-and-whats-next

Marcin Gortat is the starting center. Multiple league sources, as late as Friday night, told CSNmidatlantic.om that it’s not in the cards to make a move with the 6-11 center because of Ian Mahinmi’s signing (four years, $64 million). Of course, it's never safe to say never but as for now that appears to be the case.

Mahinmi being brought in as a backup isn't problematic but what about the size of the contract? It’s an indication of how highly Grunfeld regards him because of his defensive strengths. He has been a backup most of his career but doesn’t have the mileage of a 29-year-old. It’s still a hefty raise for a player who made $4 million as a starting center on a playoff team, the Indiana Pacers, last season. The Wizards could’ve had Zaza Pachulia, CSN has confirmed with multiple league sources, for less (two years, $20 million) but went with Mahinmi instead. There were discussions between the sides but the Wizards were non-committal and Pachulia ended up signing with the Golden State Warriors for just one year and $3 million. Pachulia is three years older and faded down the stretch last season with the Dallas Mavericks. Mahinmi could end up being better in 2016-17, but $13 million-a-year better? How both perform next season will be worth monitoring.

think I would rather had Zaza at 2 & 20 than Mahinmi for 4 & 64, especially if the plan is for them to back up Gortat

its kinda funny searching Brooks' name in this thread and reading what people thought about him just 2 years ago lol

I know for a fact that I was leading the lynch mob. I had nothing good to say. But I also had nothing good to say about Randy at the time. Then we had another 2 years of buffoonery from which to bask in. Now all Scott's failures are distant and forgiven.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/inside-access-whats-behind-wizards-offseason-moves-and-whats-next

think I would rather had Zaza at 2 & 20 than Mahinmi for 4 & 64, especially if the plan is for them to back up Gortat

Mahinmi is much better than Zaza, but this is moot because there is no way we would get Zaza on a deal. Only way Mahinmi makes sense if Marcin is offered in trade deals, which is very likely imo.

its kinda funny searching Brooks' name in this thread and reading what people thought about him just 2 years ago lol

I know I said some terrible things.  I was not a fan of Scott Brooks in OKC for many of the same reasons I was not a fan of Randy Wittman.  Neither of them seems capable of drawing up a play and their offenses featured entirely too many guys standing still.

I would have preferred Hibbert at 1 year 5 million if the role was simply a back up for Gortat. 

I like Eddie, players with the size to play 2 or 3 that can shoot are always a good thing to have on the bench. Lots of versatility in case of injury or if you simply need another shooter on the floor in a pinch. I'm not saying I want him to play, but id rather have size and shooting than the small gunner type players often found deep on NBA benches.

Oubre needs to find his shot and hold onto it. I don't think the drives I'm seeing from him in the summer league will end well in the NBA.

I know I said some terrible things.  I was not a fan of Scott Brooks in OKC for many of the same reasons I was not a fan of Randy Wittman.  Neither of them seems capable of drawing up a play and their offenses featured entirely too many guys standing still.

I would have preferred Hibbert at 1 year 5 million if the role was simply a back up for Gortat. 

Just reading between the lines, I believe the Wiz view Marcin and Ian as essentially co-starters.

Oubre asked to be the focal point of the offense in SL. Thats not his game, at least not yet. Forced a lot of drives into traffic. Forced up a lot of shots as well. Fg % is pretty awful because of that.

Let him play that Otto roll of a catch & shoot/cutter through the lane to go along with good defense and he will perform much better.