Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think the choice between GW and DC is a no brainer for Durant.  After all, DC's team has some talent, but deep holes. On top of it, the shiny new coach is the coach he already couldn't win it all with. GW on the other hand just broke the record for wins, was a finalist and a world champion the last two years... all things being even who wouldn't make the same choice?

I think the choice between GW and DC is a no brainer for Durant.  After all, DC's team has some talent, but deep holes. On top of it, the shiny new coach is the coach he already couldn't win it all with. GW on the other hand just broke the record for wins, was a finalist and a world champion the last two years... all things being even who wouldn't make the same choice?

I wouldn't go to the Wizards but the competitor in me wouldn't want to go to GSW either. Rings don't mean jack if you're just riding someone else's coattails.

I wouldn't go to the Wizards but the competitor in me wouldn't want to go to GSW either. Rings don't mean jack if you're just riding someone else's coattails.

its not like he's going to be John Salley. He'll be a major factor in helping Golden State to win another title, thats not the same as riding coattails.

• Like 4

You act like he won't put up MVP/all-star numbers and will just let Klay, Steph and Green do all the work while he goes 9 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists per game.

Come on now.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

its not like he's going to be John Salley. He'll be a major factor in helping Golden State to win another title, thats not the same as riding coattails.

Not to mention that GS has the opportunity to maintain being a finals contender for a while with Durant for another 4 years.  They could afford to lose Steph, Klay or Green (one of them) and still be in contention with KD and any of those two on the roster.

A major factor in helping a team that was 1 win away from 2-peating without him? Come on man.

• Like 1

A major factor in helping a team that was 1 win away from 2-peating without him? Come on man.

They are talking about contribution.  Like he is a player that they brought in to ride the coat tails, that won't put up numbers night in and out.

Like he is at the end of his career and needs to be carried through a season to win a ring, like he suddenly will not have the ability to be the best player on the team.  He's not riding coat tails if he is out there being a legit defender, rebounder, scorer, etc.  

He is a major factor immediately and for the future of the franchise.  So GS is not supposed to pursue or land a top 3 player in the league, one they have a position open for, because they were so good already?  They will be able to afford 3 of the 4 bigs in the future and any combination of three puts them in contention.  

• Like 1

They are talking about contribution.  Like he is a player that they brought in to ride the coat tails, that won't put up numbers night in and out.

Like he is at the end of his career and needs to be carried through a season to win a ring, like he suddenly will not have the ability to be the best player on the team.  He's not riding coat tails if he is out there being a legit defender, rebounder, scorer, etc.  

He is a major factor immediately and for the future of the franchise.  So GS is not supposed to pursue or land a top 3 player in the league, one they have a position open for, because they were so good already?  They will be able to afford 3 of the 4 bigs in the future and any combination of three puts them in contention.  

scary thought is since he won't have to carry so much of a load offensively, he can now put more energy into his defense. Not to mention he helps combat a weakness that OKC exposed in the Warriors in how they respond to a team with length.

i get that people don't like "super teams", but i'm not getting angry at a player for putting himself in the best position to win a championship. For all my irrational hatred of LeBron, I never blamed him for going to Miami.

• Like 2

I see.

So having 8 expiring contracts at the same time is because we couldn't find anyone last offseason that made sense as a piece to help build on our last two playoff appearances? Alrighty, then, you have fun with that. I noticed those "x number of wins per said player" stats you've been throwing around lately, though I would've loved Paul Millsap being here (that's one off the top of my head) or at least tried.

Talking like people who don't agree with you barely watch the team makes this conversation/debate/whatever you want to call it with you pointless.

He is a strong homer who will flip and bounce to make things look okay.

It's not. The Wizards are a mess. Just hope Wall's knees make it to 2019.

Durant just cemented his position as biggest **** of all time. **** that guy

It bothers me that Durant is going to be remembered this way. He had a chance to go down as a top five player and be beloved like Bird and Magic. Now he's just a mercenary who lacked the competitiveness and stones to reach his potential. I don't think he realizes that he just emasculated himself and that he's going to get killed for this decision for years.

Steph Curry is in his contract year... and he might be playing for his job.  As crazy as that sounds it might be true.  The only reason Durant is possible is because Curry is making 12 million.  He'll be eligible for a 30% max deal next season.  Durant will opt out and demand a similar deal.  Those two monster contracts can't exist with Thompson and Greens heavy contracts.  What if Durant proves to be the far better player and essentially takes over the team, while Curry maybe suffers an injury or comes up small in the playoffs again?

Doubt that happens. Curry is better and more accomplished than him and Golden State is his team through and through. He elevated them from an also ran to one of the greatest teams in league history, and ascended to a Jordanian level of individual play in so doing. Durant isn't good enough to make Golden State choose him over Curry, and he's not assertive enough to take the team away from him. He's a beta dog.

But GS won't have to choose one or the other anyway. They have Curry's Bird Rights so they can go way over the cap to keep him. They wouldn't hit the hard cap and they'll have plenty of money to pay tax. I'm not sure super teams like them and Cleveland have to give a damn about paying any number of tax. Their revenues must be sky high.

It bothers me that Durant is going to be remembered this way. He had a chance to go down as a top five player and be beloved like Bird and Magic. Now he's just a mercenary who lacked the competitiveness and stones to reach his potential. I don't think he realizes that he just emasculated himself and that he's going to get killed for this decision for years.

No he won't.  Top five all-time is top five all-time, you can't change that.  He's a day 1 hall of famer when he retires and is eligible.  Going to GS changes nothing about that.  

He bought into the Thunder for nine years and nothing changed, he moved on, so should all the haters.

• Like 1

i'm absolutely certain he's thought about all of that, I think he values winning a ring above it all though

No he won't.  Top five all-time is top five all-time, you can't change that.  He's a day 1 hall of famer when he retires and is eligible.  Going to GS changes nothing about that.  

He bought into the Thunder for nine years and nothing changed, he moved on, so should all the haters.

Durant will never be considered a top five all time player after this decision. Not even a top ten or fifteen player. You have to lead your team to rings as the guy to reach that status. You can't be just a role player or side kick.

Sure he's a future HoFer. George Gervin, Alex English, James Worthy, Scottie Pippen, Hal Greer, Hondo, and David Thompson are all in the HoF too. Durant just ensured that he will be remembered in the same class as those guys when he could have become a legend like Bird, LeBron, Elgin Baylor, Dr J, Rick Barry, etc. I don't think you are acknowledging what the dude just gave up. Bob McAdoo is his best case scenario now. Everyone who truly loves the NBA should be saddened when a player with Durant's potential comes along and just gives up on reaching it. There are so many Grant Hills and Derrick Roses in the history of the NBA that it's a shame for Durant to throw away his chance at a historic career for no good reason other then he just stopped wanting to compete.

• Like 2

This has to be bad for the league. I see no point in watching the regular season or the first three rounds of the playoffs.

edit: Unless you're a Cleveland or Golden State fan.

double edit: Which a large percentage of the population seems to be all of a sudden.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Durant will never be considered a top five all time player after this decision. Not even a top ten or fifteen player. You have to lead your team to rings as the guy to reach that status. You can't be just a role player or side kick.

Sure he's a future HoFer. George Gervin, Alex English, James Worthy, Scottie Pippen, Hal Greer, Hondo, and David Thompson are all in the HoF too. Durant just ensured that he will be remembered in the same class as those guys when he could have become a legend like Bird, LeBron, Elgin Baylor, Dr J, Rick Barry, etc. I don't think you are acknowledging what the dude just gave up. Bob McAdoo is his best case scenario now. Everyone who truly loves the NBA should be saddened when a player with Durant's potential comes along and just gives up on reaching it. There are so many Grant Hills and Derrick Roses in the history of the NBA that it's a shame for Durant to throw away his chance at a historic career for no good reason other then he just stopped wanting to compete.

But that is the question.  What if he stayed at OKC and say Westbrook did the same, but they fell short just like Malone and Stockton?  What if they only made the finals say twice and lost.  Would he still be considered a top five player with no rings but 18 years loyalty to one team?  

We can't assume that him staying in OKC would yield any rings at all.  So, if he is going to get a nod for being loyal, but not crack the top 15 players of all-time by staying with OKC.  Why not go to GS, win rings and still not crack the top 15 (if what you said happens) by making that decision?

But that is the question.  What if he stayed at OKC and say Westbrook did the same, but they fell short just like Malone and Stockton?  What if they only made the finals say twice and lost.  Would he still be considered a top five player with no rings but 18 years loyalty to one team?  

We can't assume that him staying in OKC would yield any rings at all.  So, if he is going to get a nod for being loyal, but not crack the top 15 players of all-time by staying with OKC.  Why not go to GS, win rings and still not crack the top 15 (if what you said happens) by making that decision?

Actually Karl Malone is an extremely rare exception in that he arguably is a top 15 all time player despite never winning a ring. Reaching and sustaining a phenomenally high level of individual play for 20 years will do that.

But at any rate, of course it's not guaranteed that he could lead OKC to a ring. It being so hard to do is what makes it so special, and is a big part of what separates a Larry Bird or a LeBron James from a Scottie Pippen or a James Worthy. What's sad and embarrassing is that Durant just gave up on trying to do it.

• Like 1

I've been pretty apathetic about the NBA the last 15 years. Mainly watching the Wizards when they are on TV.

Not mad at KD. Him not coming here is 100% on Ernie and Ted. The team was incompetent before this and now the organization is a plain embarrassment.

I was hoping KD would stay in OKC. I'd have been OK with that. Hate seeing him go and form a super team. The NBA should see a serious flaw in their system in a star driven league.

So with that said, I'll always remain a Wizards fan, but I'll probably watch zero NBA for a while. The NBA has always been 1/4 of the team's pretty much winning titles since the early 80s, but I never noticed when I was younger. It's the league with the least amount of parity and that stinks in my opinion.

Throw in the obvious refereeing and I sometimes feel like I'm watching the WWE. And it's a shame, because there are some really great athletes in this league that could really make the league great. But if that is what you guys like, more power to you. It's just not for me.

And Steve--

Buddy. I know you are probably the biggest Wizards/NBA fan in here. But come on, we all had visions of KD dancing in our heads two years ago, including you. What you typed in that one paragraph that everyone gave you crap about, was not only revisionist history, but I felt you have dismissed all of Ernie's mistakes and are trying to make the recent moves to be better than they really are.

Every year you declare we'll win 50+ games and we never do. I don't see that happening again this year with the roster currently the way it is. Maybe one day your prediction will come true. I hope so.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 2