Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

To be fair, i doubt it's because they're sitting on their hands. If people dont wanna play for your franchise, there's not a whole lot you can do. They've got money burning a hole in their pocket and cant get anybody to take it.

I know this. It makes it worse. People don't even want to get paid here. We're a ****ing joke. We got money, we're in the nations capital in a top 10 market, we got a star PG who will make you look better and folks are still telling us to **** off. I mean think about that. You all mad at Ernie. **** that. Ernie is just a symptom. Ted's short armed ass is the ****ing problem. That's where the anger needs to be. Ernie getting fired isn't gonna change ****. That's why I'm so down.

Horford was close to signing here. It was basically a coin flip between us and Boston for him. That speaks to how well regarded our players are because Boston had literally everything else going for it:

- Much better management

- Better coach

- Much better game atmosphere

- Much better fan support

- Wife was from there

- Far bigger Dominican community

Wall, Beal, Porter, etc. are the only reason it was even close.

• Like 1

Let's see:

For sure:

Cleveland

Boston

Toronto

Atlanta

Indiana

Debatable (if healthy):

Miami

Detroit

Charlotte

Just gotta stay healthy and pick up some solid role players. Even then, the max is like a 4 seed unless some players make a serious improvement. Kinda like being the Atlanta Hawks of the mid to late 2000s

Good answer.

Not feeling ATL losing Horford and Teague, and replacing with that Mickey Mouse character Dwight Howard. There's no telling what's going on truly with Bosh, and the possibility of Wade playing elsewhere totally has them on watch as well.

What I'm talking about is making a play for what could be a very weak division compared to some of the other ones. Our primary weapon is still going to be our back court, which is definitely best in the division.

I really hate Boston right now, and though I trust Indiana to score points, there's legit questions about their defense. Wall and Beal need to play like max players to show they can win a series against anyone in your "for sure" list, and that would include consistency and better defensive play.

Wall needs to do what Irving just did in finals: win his individual matchups with opposing point guards to slow them down on offense. Playing better defense will help keep star point guards from taking the game from us. If he's not going to score 30 points a game, I want to seem him make the all-defensive team instead.

Boston was a much better fit for his family. Huge Dominican community and his wife is from there. Better game atmosphere. Bigger fan base. Good front office.

This is really not the reason for him to go there. Boston doesn't have the fan base that you think that they have. Flights from DC to Boston are cheap and available.

Call me crazy, but I still believe that this team, post-Morris trade, was a healthy roster and a better coach away from comfortably being a playoff team, and possibly as good as the #2 team in the East. During the games where this team fired on all cylinders and came ready to play, we saw that our team was very tough to beat. A better coach will go a long way toward having that come more consistently.

• Like 2

The thing is, the east will be wide open in about 3 to 4 years when Wall and Beal hits their prime, Cleveland has to reign in their spending to avoid repeat offender, and LeBron slows down as he hits mid 30's with incredible wear on that body. Short of getting a difference making superstar that gives you a fighting chance against Cleveland, your best path is hoping potential pans out. That goes for players like Beal, Porter, and Oubre, but also free agent signings. Wizards should have either spent a lot less to get serviceable but cheaper veterans or spent that kind of money on young players with potential upside 3 or 4 years down the road. Plumlee, Leonard, Crabbe, Biyombo types would have been much more justifiable than Mahinmi. It would have been another thing if it was a short term deal, but 4 years?

You're saying that as of other teams aren't going to get better. Do you see what Boston is building? The Hornets are going to recover. I'm not counting out Miami until Riley is gone and then there's going to be done unknown team that strikes gold and vault us... And that's just in the east lol

You're saying that as of other teams aren't going to get better. Do you see what Boston is building? The Hornets are going to recover. I'm not counting out Miami until Riley is gone and then there's going to be done unknown team that strikes gold and vault us... And that's just in the east lol

Of course other teams will get better, but none of them have the difference maker that is LeBron. Cavaliers, frankly, are pretty much insurmountable for us without addition of a superstar even if everyone on this roster keeps improving. No other team in the east presents that kind of gap unless Boston adds another Superstar. Point being, there is no sense in locking up 16 mil per year for the next 4 years for a marginal starter quality center. What is that supposed to accomplish in the long term picture?

Let's see:

For sure:

Cleveland

Boston

Toronto

Atlanta

Indiana

Debatable (if healthy):

Miami

Detroit

Charlotte

Just gotta stay healthy and pick up some solid role players. Even then, the max is like a 4 seed unless some players make a serious improvement. Kinda like being the Atlanta Hawks of the mid to late 2000s

Speaking to Charlotte, more like the health of MKG.  He only played 7 games and had some good performances, we went 5-2 in the stretch where he played.  And considering we lost Big Al, Courtney Lee and Lin, we need him to play all year.   

- Charlotte got substantially worse. This doesn't look like a playoff team any more.

I agree.  We weren't supposed to be a playoff team last year either, especially when MKG went out before the season started.  Granted the loss of Lee, Lin and Jefferson is going to hurt us.  I'm not sold on Zeller being the full-time starting Center.  The one thing we have going in our favor is our head coach Steve Clifford.  

He did an excellent job last season mixing up the line-ups and going with combinations that worked and sticking with them throughout games.  But, I think we have lost too many players from last season and not replaced them with someone equal or better.  

I think we fall short and end up around 38-40 total wins.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

That's a solid deal. Nicholson is a three point shooting PF. Weak defender, but you're not going to get a stretch 4 that can defend for 6.5 million a year in this market. Only real issue I'm seeing is the injury history. But again, that was factored into how cheap he was.

He's basically replacing the role that we tried to use Humphries and Gooden for last season. They just weren't suited to it and Nicholson is.

We have a good top four rotation for our bigs and we can bring in a developmental guy like Jaleel Roberts for the fifth big, but we might need to carry a guy who can play PF instead given that Nicholson is much less reliable than our two centers.

After that, all we really need is a bigger bodied SF who can scrap on defense to complete the front court rotation. Right now Porter/Oubre/Eddie is a nice group with a ton of upside, but they are too young to be trusted without adding a vet to the group.

• Like 2

Andrew Nicholson to Washington is a great match. JWall will get him the ball when he needs it and he doesn't dominate the ball at all.

We have a good top four rotation for our bigs and we can bring in a developmental guy like Jaleel Roberts for the fifth big, but we might need to carry a guy who can play PF instead given that Nicholson is much less reliable than our two centers.

Don't sleep on Daniel Ochefu.

Confirming Woj report that Jazz trade Trey Burke to Washington for future second rounder. Good young pickup for Wizards to back up Wall.

Wizards will send second-round pick to Utah for Burke, who had fallen out of Jazz's future plans. Great reset button on Burke's young career

Second-round pick Wizards will send to Utah for Trey Burke is in 2021, per source.