Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

So might be a bad time to ask GHH (I watched the game) but do you play soccer over there in England? I really should open this question to everyone.  Be curious to see how many play soccer that post on this thread.  I always kind of wondered.

Not these days man, save for the odd indoor 5-aside game which takes it out of my 39 year old body as I only know one way to play and that's flat out, lol. I used to play for a Saturday and Sunday side, which was 4 games a weekend in my youth as I played at my age level and then under-age for the mens teams. That and my schools soccer took me to representing the County and getting a trial at Rochdale which was ultimately unsuccessful. We moved away for a year and, through the folly of youth, I rebelled and my soccer went by the way side until I got back in to it on a Saturday and Sunday at a pretty high amatur level. But by this time I'd discovered girls and such and never really dedicated myself anymore. 

What could of been. Sighs. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Yay. Hull got their giant killing out of the way early this week so they'll roll over for Arsenal Wednesday lol.

To answer RR's question, I am fairly new to soccer as whole. Only sport I never really played as a child. At my college, I supervise intramural sports so I had to learn about soccer to know the rules, terms, etc. Started watching BPL and became a Gooner. But I've never played organized before, which is why you'll never find me trying to get technical in my soccer analysis lol. But thanks to the magic of youtube, I am learning more and more every day 

I try to give DC United some views as well but there are only so many hours in a day for sports. 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

FIFA have announced the pots before Friday's draw:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/fifa-announces-world-cup-pots-before-group-stage-draw-united-states-brazil-120313

In a nutshell:

World Cup Pots:

Pot 1: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, Germany , Spain, Switzerland, Uruguay

Pot 2: Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Chile, Ecuador (plus one currently in Pot 4)

Pot 3: Australia, Iran, Japan, Korea, Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, USA

Pot 4: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia (one team will be drawn into Pot 2)

For me, worst case - and there are several - for US would be something like:  Brazil, Ghana, US, Netherlands

Best case - and there are very few - for US would be something like:  Swiss, Algeria, US, Greece.

Moyes is such an asshat. I hate him and Manchester United with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

From ESPN article:

Moyes praised his successor Roberto Martinez, who has taken Everton to fifth place, three spots above United in the table, but hinted that his task was easier because he had laid the groundwork.

He added: "He has very good players there. I always told them they could play without a manager because they are very well organised. But Roberto is doing a really good job keeping it going."

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1636821/moyes-prepares-everton-return

Hes such a great manager that all those great players he brought to Everton, who could play great without a manager btw, are above his new team. Martinez is just benefiting from Moyes genius.

It's impossible to analyze which draw would be best for the US without looking at all 3 opponents at once.  IE, drawing Brazil looks bad by itself, but actually might be better for the US if the rest of the group includes teams with less chance to take points off Brazil than we have.

The nightmare draw imo is Argentina, Netherlands, Italy

No matter what, the US group will probably be labled the Group of Death simply because they are the best team in pot 3 (although some sides probably fear Japan more head to head).

But I think we match up well against some teams that other countries will not.  IE, I think we match up well against Uruguay, Colombia and Belgium in pot 1.  And I think we are level if not ahead of every team in pot 2 (yes, even Ghana).

And pot 4, we have Euro's out of Europe.  I'd like to avoid the Dutch and Italy.  But the rest arent unbeatable for the US.

Also, WHERE we get drawn is key.  I'd prefer to face the Pot 1 team on the final match day.  With the hopes that they have taken full points off the other two sides.

I didn't think I'd see a better hat-trick than the one he scored at Norwich a few seasons back. 

But the one Suarez has just produced is outstanding, The first is out of this World. Pure genius. 

First L'pool player to ever score three hat-tricks against the same club. He could end up with more tonight. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Best line of the day:  Everton Fans singing out to Moyes "You'll be sacked tomorrow!!!"

Priceless.

Plus, Bayern win comfortably (again) to advance in German Cup.

Let's see, ManU lose, Bayern win.  Nice day for soccer all around (plus, nice job by the Reds, GHH).

Edited by btfoom

I could watch that gif all night. 

Say what you want about the guy, but that is pure genius. And his third and fourth goals were breathtaking too. We didn't actually play too great again. But Luis was on fire. And now with West Ham to come Sat'day, even if we don't pick up much from 'spurs, Citeh and Chelsea, we should still be top 4 in the New Year which sets us up fantastically for the second half of the season. 

Roberto Martinez doing what David Moyes Football GENIUS never managed in 11 attempts and winning at Utd just topped things off perfectly. 

Hail. 

the reds are just so much better pressing forward with fluidity than the stagnant crap they messed with against Hull City. all credit to Hull City, of course, for creating that morass in their defensive third, but liverpool couldn't do ANYTHING.

Coutinho made a the difference, too. much more creative in the midfield than moses.

crap, though, that they didn't get a clean sheet there. fell asleep all fat and happy on a goal splurge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0h0XQqSIY

My arabic is weak... so just turn it down and listen to this while you watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ewYsYS80o

the reds are just so much better pressing forward with fluidity than the stagnant crap they messed with against Hull City. all credit to Hull City, of course, for creating that morass in their defensive third, but liverpool couldn't do ANYTHING.

Coutinho made a the difference, too. much more creative in the midfield than moses.

crap, though, that they didn't get a clean sheet there. fell asleep all fat and happy on a goal splurge.

You hit it on the head.  It is all about Coutinho.  His vision is second to very few.  He facilitates the attack.

Without him we aren't the same side.  If he plays the whole game against Hull it isn't close.

I could watch that gif all night. 

Say what you want about the guy, but that is pure genius. And his third and fourth goals were breathtaking too. We didn't actually play too great again. But Luis was on fire. And now with West Ham to come Sat'day, even if we don't pick up much from 'spurs, Citeh and Chelsea, we should still be top 4 in the New Year which sets us up fantastically for the second half of the season. 

Roberto Martinez doing what David Moyes Football GENIUS never managed in 11 attempts and winning at Utd just topped things off perfectly. 

Hail. 

Thanks for the updates while I was at work, big bro.  Hope you get some rest tonight ;)

Another big one come Saturday :)

Blowing bubbles and **** :lol:

I LOVED that one for you MisterP.

Martinez is doing everything at Everton that David Moyes Football Genius never could.

Hail.

Yep, completely different mentality. Moyes mentality was we are going to lose against the top teams. Martinez mentality is lets play our game no matter who we are playing and what happens happens.

Late in the game we had both of our outside backs crashing into the box. On breakaways we had 5 guys flying into the box. United only had 1 or 2, which is typical Moyes. He has no identity. Its interesting here some of the complaints from United fans about his "style" and I know completely where they are coming from.

I am so grateful that Fergie retired and took Moyes from us. Loving how this team is playing under Martinez, love the mentality.

Exactly MisterP. Everton, as much as /i hate to admit it, are a footballing side again that play to win. I honestly thought it would take a LOT longer to change the mentality of the last 10 years from being a defensive, physical, long ball team to getting it on the deck and playing attacking, pass and move football but he's gotten his philosophy over real quick and the players have responded in fine style. 

Another key difference as well is Martinez' willingness to give youth its head. And in one window he's pissed all over what his predecessor did in 20 with his signings. 

Hail. 

• Like 1