Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Concussions

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/06/130614-soccer-heading-concussion-brain-injury-science/[/size]

Quote:[/size]

"Lipton and his colleagues examined 37 amateur players, all adults, who had played soccer for an average of 22 years each and had played regularly over the previous year. They filled out questionnaires about their playing style and how frequently they headed the ball on the field and in training drills. Then they were given memory tests and highly sophisticated brain scans, using a type of MRI called diffusion-tensor imaging that looks at microscopic changes in the white matter in the brain. White matter is the tissue that conveys messages from one region of the brain to another.[/size]

The researchers found that players had to head the ball a certain number of times in a season before white matter abnormalities started to appear on imaging. The threshold varied from player to player but was generally in the range of 900 to 1,500 headers in a season. Beyond this threshold, the brain abnormalities quickly became more apparent. Those who headed the ball more than 1,800 times in a season scored measurably worse on memory tests than those who had headed the ball less frequently. The difference in scores was in the range of 10 to 20 percent.[/size]

"To put this into perspective I should make it clear that all of these players' functions were still within norms," said Lipton. "These are all basically functional young professionals and students."[/size]

Quote:[/size]

"I should emphasize that we very much see soccer as an excellent source of beneficial physical activity. This should not be curtailed. Our message is to understand the role of heading in the game and look at how we can enhance the safety of soccer play and facilitate its expansion."[/size]

I wouldn't take this as gospel at this point. Just add to our body of knowledge on the subject. [/size]

Here is the abstract of the study they cited in the article.

Also, I've been conducting informal surveys. Anecdotal at best. We ourselves have played soccer for years, maybe decades. We probalby know old soccer players. Any signs of dementia? It's the world's most popular game, and up until the 90s those balls got waterlogged and heavy.  I'd think there'd be more signs if concussions affected soccer players the way they do pointy players.

Google Serie A and ALS

This is finally an interesting footballing derby again. Everton will come to play. As opposed to the 'kick anything that moves and stop L'pool playing' method of David Moyes Football Genius.

And we got the derby meaning National and not just local significance again. How cool is that?

Your still getting battered like, regardless.

Hail.

* And my fantasy attack is Sturridge, Suarez and Lukaku. So a Lukaku hat-trick, all set up by Barkley who I also have, in a 4-3 defeat to two apiece from Sturridge and Suarez will do just fine lol.

It should be a good game. Im looking forward to Lukaku's hat trick as well. No way Liverpool puts 4 past Howard. :-D

The weird and wonderful deluded World of the blue .....  :P

But have no fear, if Howard was to concede 4, I'm sure your brethren would find a way to blame it all on Heysel.  ;)

Hail. 

Lets see.... In 161 EPL games, going back to the beginning of the 2009/10 season, we allowed more than 3 goals 3 times, losing 2. So if Lukaku scores a hat trick, we are getting at least a point. :D:P

Last time Liverpool or Everton scored 4 goals in a game? 1991 FA cup draw.

Last time Liverpool or Everton scored 4 goals in a game? 1991 FA cup draw.

Kenny's last game his first go-around. 

How we didn't win that night is a complete mystery, It goes down as one of the great FA Cup ties of all time but we totally dominated. Yet that little short ass bleep Cottee kept popping up with late equalisers. 

I lost a night shift job going to that replay. Ahhh, my crazy younger days when going the match was ALL that mattered,

Hail. 

Kenny's last game his first go-around. 

How we didn't win that night is a complete mystery, It goes down as one of the great FA Cup ties of all time but we totally dominated. Yet that little short ass bleep Cottee kept popping up with late equalisers. 

I lost a night shift job going to that replay. Ahhh, my crazy younger days when going the match was ALL that mattered,

Hail. 

You didnt win because Everton RUUUULLLEEEEZZZ!!!  Just like we will after the international break. :D :D :D :D

Bit mixed on Mexico making it in.  I think it's better for CONCACAF, but it would've been hilarious to see them not make it in.  Once they had to play New Zealand I figured they'd be fine, and so they are.

It's all good! Now anytime we play Mexico for the next 4 years, the US crowd can hold up signs saying: You're Welcome Mexico!  Having that on them I think will be worse for their fans than not making the WC.

• Like 1

People keep saying that we can hang this over them and i don't buy it. Nothing is more crushing than not making it. It's a very realistic possibility that they now go deeper in the WC than we do. So our bragging rights become empty if that happens.

I'd rather them be sitting home and suicidal.

People keep saying that we can hang this over them and i don't buy it. Nothing is more crushing than not making it. It's a very realistic possibility that they now go deeper in the WC than we do. So our bragging rights become empty if that happens.

Agreed 100%. Nothing worse than not making it.

So me wanting England to not 'make it' was ...... ?  ;)  :P

Hail. 

masochistic

what do i win?

A slap for being a smart ass!

still doesnt mean he would know who Sturridge is, lol

that comment really bothered you.

Can't stand the fella'.

For all the immense talent he has, he's one lazy ass arrogant SOB who should of achieved a lot more than he has on a personal level. The amount of big games he's gone AWOL in over the years is criminal.

A slightly better version of Berbatov.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven