Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

they did away with the sudden death 'golden goal' used in the 90's as it was felt it encouraged defensive play as teams were too scared to play open football only to concede a devastating losing goal. Its a fact that soccer can be very attacking and still lead to a 0-0 result. I wonder how teams and coaches would feel if they were possibly faced with playing extra time, game after game after game in the section matches?

The players are coming off long seasons, in a tournament like the WC they play multiple games on short rest.

I think it's a great idea for the knockout stages. Go straight to penalties after regulation. IMO, the players are so tired after 90 + minutes that the quality of play drops dramatically.

Can't eliminate ties in the group stages. The points awarded make the permutations and scenarios interesting.

I'd like to see them make a change like this-

2 ten minute OT periods similar to what they have now.

Then 2 ten minute golden goal periods.

Then P/Ks

Except the final. For the final, I would have the two teams continue to play 10 minute periods with golden goal rules until someone scored. Who cares how exhausted they are. That is the final game after 4 years of games. They can sleep for the next month.

Sick to see Drogba to start his season with a hat trick on Saturday

Oh yea, the DC United game was hard to watch on Saturday :(

First time someone has hit a hat trick on opening day since 1997. Have to say he wont get an easier one, West Brom looked totally out of their depth.

First time someone has hit a hat trick on opening day since 1997. Have to say he wont get an easier one, West Brom looked totally out of their depth.

I didn't see Drogba's first goal, but the 2nd goal came from a botched wall and his third goal practically fell into his lap.

total domination by Chelsea

Haha, yea lucky for the Spurs they came back and got 2, and YB missed a couple golden opportunities in the 2nd half. Really they should have put up 4 or 5, but as it is now they have to go to White Hart Lane only up by 1 goal.

Pavlyuchenko's goal was niiiiice

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnr_99q8tgM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnr_99q8tgM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And Hochstrasser's goal for YB was very similar to Ngog's goal for Liverpool this weekend (I had just watched that game on replay yesterday).