Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Trying to work out whether Ramsey is just on an incredibly lucky hot streak or whether Wengers patience has finally paid off and he's matured into a player. 

Whichever, he's the player of the year to date and no mistake. 

Fantastic win from Arsenal. Make sure yuse don't ruin the perfect week next Sunday!

Hail. 

dont feel too bad about the loss yesterday. I think we can get a point in Dortmund.

Really need Theo to come back tho.

This Arsenal side is a better away team than home team. Dortmund are great home, but Arsenal are really good away.

brap brap

Trying to work out whether Ramsey is just on an incredibly lucky hot streak or whether Wengers patience has finally paid off and he's matured into a player.

its not a run of form if its been for damn near 9 months. Ramsey is going to get better.

Let this be a lesson to those who like to write off young players, especially when they had an injury that stunt their development.

He really is this good.

We

Let this be a lesson to those who like to write off young players, especially when they had an injury that stunt their development.

He really is this good.

Well then, I just can't wait for Abou Diaby to come back. While we're at it, let's resign Eduardo.

Whichever, he's the player of the year to date and no mistake. 

Fantastic win from Arsenal. Make sure yuse don't ruin the perfect week next Sunday!

Hail. 

Like I said against Liverpool, can't count on anything when you have two great finishers on the other side. 

Great bounce back game for Liverpool.  Suarez is just fantastic and this is a different attack all together with Coutinho in there.  His touch and creativity are just fantastic. 

Now... immediately after the game I turn the Chelsea game on to watch West Brom upset them... an low and behold, Ed Hoculi's cousin from across the pond shows up and awards a PK.  :lol:

Anywho... I'd love to see Enrique (I know right?) in there for Cissoko.  I'm not sure what that's all about, but he just doesn't seem to be playing well over there right now.  I'd be hesitant to move players around after a 4-0 win, but after he stunk last week, the attack went almost exclusively through Johnson today and it was much better.

And Suarez was so good.

Sleepy atmosphere at Anfield GHH... what was up today?

Modern day football man. Since the advent of the greed is good league, or EPL as they like to call themselves, and all seater stadiums full in the main of the 'new' type of middle class 'fan' who has the disposable income to pay the ridiculous prices most all grounds are like a morgue most weeks. Particularly from the home side. But don't get me started on modern day football .....

4-4-2 and back to being totally solid at the back. Who knew?  :rolleyes: I do believe Fulham are the worst side I've seen in eons. No passion. No fight. No nothing. What we have? Something like 30 shots or so? That didn't help the atmosphere as it was so easy from the first whistle the players never had to break sweat. Jol must surely be headed for the sack. To have Berbatov, the single laziest waste of talent there's EVER been as your captain whilst someone like Bent never even gets off the bench should earn a dismissal by itself. Suarez fantastic as always. And Coutinho back involved in most everything. Easy, easy match. But we still did what we had to do and did it well. 

Now we get another freaking boring ass International break before the Derby over the park at the pit. . 

MisterP, you're shower is going down., AGAIN!  ;)

Hail. 

Oh yeah, Henderson's still absolute ****.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I was many beers in but that game felt like it flew by but nothing seemed to happen. I'm sure it was equal parts good tactics on United's part, execution of those tactics, and a ho-hum Arsenal performance. 

I didn't really like the double pivot of Arteta and Flamini—felt like we could've done more with another playmaker in midfielder instead of a holder. 

I really miss our speedy/wide players. We needed someone to run at defenders today to destabilize that shape. There was nothing scary about Jones/Evans in the back but Arsenal did nothing to test that. 

Overall, I don't think the game was indicative of how good or "not there yet" this Arsenal squad is. The only thing I wanted was to be able to bring on an attacking option from the bench that could change the game. Didn't really have that.

Edited by Elessar78

I was many beers in but that game felt like it flew by but nothing seemed to happen. I'm sure it was equal parts good tactics on United's part, execution of those tactics, and a ho-hum Arsenal performance. 

I didn't really like the double pivot of Arteta and Flamini—felt like we could've done more with another playmaker in midfielder instead of a holder. 

I really miss our speedy/wide players. We needed someone to run at defenders today to destabilize that shape. There was nothing scary about Jones/Evans in the back but Arsenal did nothing to test that. 

when's Theo due back?

I can go off people wise ass.

That said, he does. He now has style since he's gotten away from London. :-)

Hail.

I wish I was trying to be a wise ass, but looking at his now and then photos on google, he's basically your middle age bald, pudgy guy. The going off other people is a good strategy. 

I crossed paths with Kirsten Dunst in NYC once, she looks like a normal person in real life. Would not have realized it was her had people not made a fuss over it. I also ran into Champ Bailey at PJ Skidoos in Fairfax once. He looked like Champ Bailey. But he was in his prime. Not as big as I would've expected him to be. 

Then I take that back E as I TOTALLY misread your initial reply. 

Apologies. He hasn't rather expanded huh? Still turns out for the Legends side in various tournaments. But then so does Molby who makes Mickey Thomas look fit.  :lol: But then when you've got the ability the big man has, who needs fitness?

Now just to piss you off to start the week, HAD you come back to me with a bet on the game the other week, I was tempted to offer you the programme from your greatest ever night back in 1989 and Michael's greatest hour. 

But you didn't. So I didn't. And it's now off the table. Unlucky.  :P

Hail. 

Concussions

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/06/130614-soccer-heading-concussion-brain-injury-science/

Quote:
"Lipton and his colleagues examined 37 amateur players, all adults, who had played soccer for an average of 22 years each and had played regularly over the previous year. They filled out questionnaires about their playing style and how frequently they headed the ball on the field and in training drills. Then they were given memory tests and highly sophisticated brain scans, using a type of MRI called diffusion-tensor imaging that looks at microscopic changes in the white matter in the brain. White matter is the tissue that conveys messages from one region of the brain to another.

The researchers found that players had to head the ball a certain number of times in a season before white matter abnormalities started to appear on imaging. The threshold varied from player to player but was generally in the range of 900 to 1,500 headers in a season. Beyond this threshold, the brain abnormalities quickly became more apparent. Those who headed the ball more than 1,800 times in a season scored measurably worse on memory tests than those who had headed the ball less frequently. The difference in scores was in the range of 10 to 20 percent.

"To put this into perspective I should make it clear that all of these players' functions were still within norms," said Lipton. "These are all basically functional young professionals and students."

Quote:
"I should emphasize that we very much see soccer as an excellent source of beneficial physical activity. This should not be curtailed. Our message is to understand the role of heading in the game and look at how we can enhance the safety of soccer play and facilitate its expansion."

I wouldn't take this as gospel at this point. Just add to our body of knowledge on the subject. 

Here is the abstract of the study they cited in the article.

Also, I've been conducting informal surveys. Anecdotal at best. We ourselves have played soccer for years, maybe decades. We probalby know old soccer players. Any signs of dementia? It's the world's most popular game, and up until the 90s those balls got waterlogged and heavy.  I'd think there'd be more signs if concussions affected soccer players the way they do pointy players.

MisterP, you're shower is going down., AGAIN!  ;)

Looking forward to it. :-D

If Martinez decides to start Osman again instead of Barkley we will definitely lose. Every game Osman has started we have had no energy, no momentum, no aggressiveness, and its not until 15 minutes or so after Barkley comes in for him that we start creating a bunch of chances. So again, if Osman starts the derby I concede that game.

Looking forward to it. :-D

If Martinez decides to start Osman again instead of Barkley we will definitely lose. Every game Osman has started we have had no energy, no momentum, no aggressiveness, and its not until 15 minutes or so after Barkley comes in for him that we start creating a bunch of chances. So again, if Osman starts the derby I concede that game.

This is finally an interesting footballing derby again. Everton will come to play. As opposed to the 'kick anything that moves and stop L'pool playing' method of David Moyes Football Genius.

And we got the derby meaning National and not just local significance again. How cool is that?

Your still getting battered like, regardless.

Hail.

* And my fantasy attack is Sturridge, Suarez and Lukaku. So a Lukaku hat-trick, all set up by Barkley who I also have, in a 4-3 defeat to two apiece from Sturridge and Suarez will do just fine lol.