Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Don't You Like Soccer? (Edited Title)

KingGibbs

If we could figure out a way for NASCAR drivers to run over soccer players and then' date=' I don't know, drive off a cliff into a shark-filled ocean...well...I would watch that.[/quote']

Maybe pave the infield.. put a goal at either end, and hang a foot out the door and play Auto Polo at 200 MPH. That might be cool

~Bang

Love the World Cup. Go to a bar when the US plays -- good times.

A friend of mine has been to every major sporting championship. Super Bowl, NCAA finals, World Series, etc... Though not a big soccer fan, he went to a world cup game in 2006 and had the time of his life. No other event came close he said. The passion of the fans was just off the charts.

Soccer's definitely not for everybody. I only enjoy it when I have a huge rooting interest. But the hatred for it puzzles me. There are plenty of sports I think are pretty boring to watch... so I just don't watch them.

One of the cool things about world class Soccer, for me, is the fact that scoring is so low and it is so incredibly hard to score a goal. It makes the whole game like a massive case of blue ball denial, and when that goal is finally scored, the release for the crowd is extra special and cathartic. So to speak.

Love this and completely agree.

That's not really a relevant fact. Now, if more people in the US per match watch the World Cup than the Stanley Cup, which is entirely possible, that'd be relevant.

Then it is relevant. These are US numbers. The 5th rated WC match was this years Round 1 US vs UK which had more viewers as Game 6 of this years finals, which was the highest rated NHL game in 36 years. Hmmmm...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=531630

Game 6 of the Final on NBC was the most-watched (8.28 million) and highest-rated NHL game (4.7) on U.S. television in 36 years.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/06/13/us-vs-england-most-watched-mens-team-game-since-1994/

Top 5 Most-Viewed World Cup Telecasts

1. U.S.-China, Women's World Cup Final (ABC, 7/10/99) -- 18.0 million viewers (11.4 rating)

2. Brazil-Italy, World Cup Final (ABC, 7/17/94) -- 14.5 (9.5 rating):

3. Brazil-U.S., Round of 16 (ABC, 7/4/94) -- 13.7 (9.3 rating)

4. Italy-France, World Cup Final (ABC, 7/9/06) -- 12.0 (7.0 rating)

5. U.S.-England, First Round (ABC, 6/12/10) -- 10.8 (6.1 rating)

I don't hate it, nor am I a fan...but what gets on my nerves is how every four years people who never even mention the word soccer are all of a sudden the biggest soccer fans ever. It's cool if you enjoy it every four years like many have mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's another thing when people *pretend* like they always loved soccer. Acting as if they are the biggest soccer enthusiasts to ever grace the planet and try to belittle us non soccer watching folk as if we are a stain on Earth...

If you like soccer THAT much...why are you not trying to get me to watch in between World Cups? Why are you not soccer crazy every other year? Why is your facebook updated with your favorite soccer player or team only now?

Did the World Cup remind you that you were the biggest soccer fan known to man? Guess you owe the World Cup a lot then...I have met some *real* soccer enthusiasts in between the World Cup gaps, but for the most part 90% of *soccer* fans are the before mentioned.

Then it is relevant. These are US numbers. The 5th rated WC match was this years Round 1 US vs UK which had more viewers as Game 6 of this years finals, which was the highest rated NHL game in 36 years. Hmmmm...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=531630

Game 6 of the Final on NBC was the most-watched (8.28 million) and highest-rated NHL game (4.7) on U.S. television in 36 years.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/06/13/us-vs-england-most-watched-mens-team-game-since-1994/

Top 5 Most-Viewed World Cup Telecasts

1. U.S.-China, Women's World Cup Final (ABC, 7/10/99) -- 18.0 million viewers (11.4 rating)

2. Brazil-Italy, World Cup Final (ABC, 7/17/94) -- 14.5 (9.5 rating):

3. Brazil-U.S., Round of 16 (ABC, 7/4/94) -- 13.7 (9.3 rating)

4. Italy-France, World Cup Final (ABC, 7/9/06) -- 12.0 (7.0 rating)

5. U.S.-England, First Round (ABC, 6/12/10) -- 10.8 (6.1 rating)

I don't know if I was quoting you in that statement. If it wasn't you, then you're misunderstanding the statement in question. If it was you, you should clarify what you're saying, because my impression was that the poster meant more people overall watch the World Cup than the Stanley Cup.

If that is what the poster meant, then it is a completely irrelevant fact.

I hate soccer because it's unbearably boring. The more America takes on Europe's undesirable traits, the more likely it is that my television will be innundated with jogging... I mean soccer.

Hawkey chix are hawt. :)

It's entirely possible that I am a terrible racist for thinking this. But I have a sneaking suspicion that if you took numbers 50-100 on the list of McDonald's High School Basketball All Americans, sent them to some kind of intense soccer camp for two years, and then fielded a team out of the best of the best (note: I have no earthly idea how many people are on a World Cup roster)...I'm convinced that team could make the semi finals of the World Cup.

I think this would be a great reality tv show.

I guess the frustrating part for me in watching US Soccer is that I know that every other team has the absolute best athletes in their country - or at least in their former colonies - playing. So, I know that the team I would naturally root for (if I cared) is a bunch of guys who are probably not our best potential soccer players.

By the way, I think I want a North Korea soccer shirt.

It's entirely possible that I am a terrible racist for thinking this. But I have a sneaking suspicion that if you took numbers 50-100 on the list of McDonald's High School Basketball All Americans' date=' sent them to some kind of intense soccer camp for two years, and then fielded a team out of the best of the best (note: I have no earthly idea how many people are on a World Cup roster)...I'm convinced that team could make the semi finals of the World Cup.

I guess the frustrating part for me in watching US Soccer is that I know that every other team has the absolute best athletes in their country - or at least in their former colonies - playing. So, I know that the team I would naturally root for (if I cared) is a bunch of guys who are probably not our best potential soccer players.

By the way, I think I want a North Korea soccer shirt.[/quote']

Imagine if LeBron James grew up his whole life wanted to be the best goalkeeper in the world...

It's entirely possible that I am a terrible racist for thinking this. But I have a sneaking suspicion that if you took numbers 50-100 on the list of McDonald's High School Basketball All Americans' date=' sent them to some kind of intense soccer camp for two years, and then fielded a team out of the best of the best (note: I have no earthly idea how many people are on a World Cup roster)...I'm convinced that team could make the semi finals of the World Cup.[/quote']

This is called Africa. And when is the last time an African nation won the WC?

By the way, I think I want a North Korea soccer shirt.

They don't win bc the best athletes in their countries are playing - they win because they have a gigantic pool of soccer players who have been dribbling a ball since age 2, and have been properly coached from that point on.

I'm not a huge soccer fan. As a matter of fact, watching club soccer is nearly unbearable; but I really, really like the World Cup. It's the best in the world playing on THE BIGGEST STAGE IN THE WORLD. I'm sorry, but there's no denying that. It's bigger than the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup, Wimbledon, and The Masters. It's a big deal. Even if you don't enjoy the bloody sport, to deny that fact is arrogant and pig headed.

Besides, why shouldn't you support the USA on an international stage?

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of our women's team. 2 World Cups and 3 Gold Medals. They are WINNERS, something our men's team can't say yet.

It's entirely possible that I am a terrible racist for thinking this. But I have a sneaking suspicion that if you took numbers 50-100 on the list of McDonald's High School Basketball All Americans' date=' sent them to some kind of intense soccer camp for two years, and then fielded a team out of the best of the best (note: I have no earthly idea how many people are on a World Cup roster)...I'm convinced that team could make the semi finals of the World Cup.

I think 75% of the McDonald's All American numbers 50-100 are way, way, way too big and slow to even stay on the field with the North Korean national team, let alone make it to the semis.

Basically, your assumptions are accurate but your point is completely wrong. If you were to train the bottom half of the top 100 high school basketball players in the country for two years, you could field a team capable of beating a team full of unathletic people who trained for two years. That's it. Now, if you took the top 50 middle school point guards in the country and trained them for 10 years, you'd have a World Cup winning squad. But that's a completely different story, obviously.

As I said though, your assumptions are right. Their best athletes play soccer, ours, for the most part, don't. We haven't had the quality of coaching per player or years spent playing and practicing per player that the countries in Europe and South America have. We also don't have as well developed academy systems as they do. Eventually, though, we'll catch up. It's inevitable.

I don't hate it, nor am I a fan...but what gets on my nerves is how every four years people who never even mention the word soccer are all of a sudden the biggest soccer fans ever. It's cool if you enjoy it every four years like many have mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's another thing when people *pretend* like they always loved soccer. Acting as if they are the biggest soccer enthusiasts to ever grace the planet and try to belittle us non soccer watching folk as if we are a stain on Earth...

If you like soccer THAT much...why are you not trying to get me to watch in between World Cups? Why are you not soccer crazy every other year? Why is your facebook updated with your favorite soccer player or team only now?

Did the World Cup remind you that you were the biggest soccer fan known to man? Guess you owe the World Cup a lot then...I have met some *real* soccer enthusiasts in between the World Cup gaps, but for the most part 90% of *soccer* fans are the before mentioned.

Trust me man, that's far from an American problem.

That's one of my biggest beefs with the false patriotism that prevails in England every major International tournament, and a big reason why I've never done England.

Half the morons hanging out flags and expecting everyone else to get involved don't give a flying **** about the National team in the in-between years of qualifying for these tournaments, and for most the US game would of been the first soccer game they've seen this year. Yet their all suddenly "experts" and great patriots. If England crash out Wednesday, they'll disappear again until the European Championships in 2 years time.

It's nauseating B/S.

Hail.

Not for so long, USA can be a BIG surprise in the up coming World Cups.

Your potential is growing sooooo fast!

I guess the frustrating part for me in watching US Soccer is that I know that every other team has the absolute best athletes in their country - or at least in their former colonies - playing. So' date=' I know that the team I would naturally root for (if I cared) is a bunch of guys who are probably not our best potential soccer players.

As I just mentioned in the other thread, what kind of irks me is that the better teams will play not to lose. Basically they hope the other team makes a mistake and they can sit on a 1-0 lead, because thats the best strategy to win. I hate that.

That's not true. The worse teams plays not to lose and usually it backfires and they get blown out anyway. Sometimes they get lucky like NK vs. Brazil. The U.S. played not to lose vs. England and by all accounts should've lost 4-1.

I don't know if I was quoting you in that statement. If it wasn't you, then you're misunderstanding the statement in question. If it was you, you should clarify what you're saying, because my impression was that the poster meant more people overall watch the World Cup than the Stanley Cup.

If that is what the poster meant, then it is a completely irrelevant fact.

It wasn't me you were quoting in the other response.

I thought that was related to how Soccer isn't gaining popularity. Also, related to what you said

Now, if more people in the US per match watch the World Cup than the Stanley Cup, which is entirely possible, that'd be relevant.

Then I showed that more people in the US do indeed watch the World Cup than the Stanley Cup. This years game 6 was the most watched NHL game in 36 years, and it still had less viewers than the first round match between US and the UK.

Now if you want to compare the Major League Soccer to the NHL, yeah that definitely doesn't compare. But it wasn't that long ago that NHL didn't compare to a lot of other sports.

My main point is Soccer is gaining slowly in this country. And there is proof of that.

This Years Match between US and Slovenia drew more viewers than a soccer game on ESPN, ever. Up 60% from 2006.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/news/1058/usa-vs-slovenia-was-espn-s-most-viewed-soccer-telecast/

Some of the other games on there just on ESPN beat out quite a few Stanley Cup Games.

What fact would make it "relevant"?

It wasn't me you were quoting in the other response.

I thought that was related to how Soccer isn't gaining popularity. Also, related to what you said

Then I showed that more people in the US do indeed watch the World Cup than the Stanley Cup. This years game 6 was the most watched NHL game in 36 years, and it still had less viewers than the first round match between US and the UK.

Now if you want to compare the Major League Soccer to the NHL, yeah that definitely doesn't compare. But it wasn't that long ago that NHL didn't compare to a lot of other sports.

My main point is Soccer is gaining slowly in this country. And there is proof of that.

This Years Match between US and Slovenia drew more viewers than a soccer game on ESPN, ever. Up 60% from 2006.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/news/1058/usa-vs-slovenia-was-espn-s-most-viewed-soccer-telecast/

Some of the other games on there just on ESPN beat out quite a few Stanley Cup Games.

What fact would make it "relevant"?

Hockey is never going to catch up. I'm not surprised that the Stanley Cup is less popular than the World Cup, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare the World Cup viewership to the Olympic hockey viewership? Four year, international competition and all...

As far as soccer's growth goes: when you're at the bottom the only place to go is up. :silly: Besides, with all of the trespas- uhm, neighbors from the south moving in, it's no surprise that our sports culture is changing.

Archived