Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Don't You Like Soccer? (Edited Title)

KingGibbs

1. Referring. They are horrific. Quite possibly the worst referring in all of sports.

I have no idea what you're referring to?

2. The actors. Watching Italy 4 years ago was the worst thing I'd ever seen. So much diving. It's an embarrassment to your sport.

Agree with you on this.

3. Low action. There is a lack of scoring and no physical contact allowed so you watch 90 mins hoping for 5 mins of action. It doesn't add up.

Is it scoring that is exciting or the anticipation leading up to scoring? Do you lose your mind watching every basket in an NBA game? NFL and MLB games are clocked at less than 13 minutes of action for the 3 hours you are watching it. Soccer averages around 70 minutes for every 90 you watch. Your logic doesn't add up

4. No contact. I mean I am sure it hurts but how many times does a guy get tapped on the ankles and he immediately clutches it toss and turns on the ground ... then no card ok im good ... back in the play.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Play the game at a high level and come back to talk to me. Sure a lot of these pros are acting but they are *****-*** europeans and south americans. American players frown on that kind of junk.

5. Lack of a high level of play in the US. Watching Argentina or Portugal or Brazil can be entertaining. MLS? Not so much. I have no reason to follow the premiere leagues.

MLS does suck. So don't follow the other leagues. Who cares?

6. Poor exposure to US. They are trying but there isn't a lot of analysis that can go into soccer at a high level for the casual fan.

Why do you need analysis? Soccer isn't for the casual fan. You have a team and you support it. We don't need casual fans, we do well enough with you.

7. Allowing ties. I hate ties. Worst thing in sports. Sports primarily are entertainment. Nothing worse in my opinion then investing several hours in something where both teams leave as they entered.

Well that's just your lowest-common-denominator attitude. Elevated reasoning would suggest that if your team was losing at, say, half time the fan would be happier with a draw at the end of regulation. Your view point is like the Japanese in WW2. "Hey we'd rather die than live to fight another day." It's a great approach since soldiers are a replaceable commodity.

For all the complaining about ties, few people seem happy about the way NFL overtime decides a winner. And no one seems to complain when NFL games end in a tie after overtime anyway.

8. "Stoppage time". How about not letting people act on the ground or delay the game. Games should be on a set clock. Not an approximation. If someone is delaying the game give them a yellow card.

Um, they do set a clock. Refs stop the watch they have and restart it when he allows play to resume. Learn something about the game first then complain about it.

What the world cup has going for it right now is the sweet spot of all the major sports done with their championships (NFL, NHL and NBA) and baseball season is in it's current boring stage.

If the World Cup was around when NHL, NFL or NBA was in season ... good luck getting this kind of coverage.

I am sure my mind would change if I grew up in Europe or saw a live game over there. But at least here and MLS? I'd rather stay home. It's not entertaining enough for 2 1/2 hours.

The World Cup has been bigger than all those combined for a longer period of time. Even if it was at another time, there would still be the same coverage. Maybe not on ESPN, but we'd still get the broadcast. What you don't understand is that there are literally, millions of non-casual American soccer fans. Probably more than the populations of smaller, soccer mad countries. We watch our games religiously every weekend because there are ways now. Most of us don't even like the ESPN coverage because those announcer dumb down the content, well, for the "casual" fan.

Maybe it's responses like these why people think soccer fans are stuck up.

The entire thread was about why people don't like soccer. I said why I didn't and even stated I didn't despise it just why the person that isn't exposed to it at an early age has a hard time adapting to it.

It's funny how many times NASCAR references have appeared in this thread. NASCAR and soccer seem to be the cheapest, easiest targets for people who need to feel better about themselves. :ols:

Golf should rank #1. I literally go to sleep watching it. Nothing exciting about it at all and I like to play it.

That's not true. The worse teams plays not to lose and usually it backfires and they get blown out anyway. Sometimes they get lucky like NK vs. Brazil. The U.S. played not to lose vs. England and by all accounts should've lost 4-1.

Don't know what game you were watching but the possession was around 51-49 for England. Hardly domination. Also, the US had a chance to go ahead 2-1, but Jose Altidor hit the post. Both teams played bad defense and really it should have been a 3-3 tie and not 1-1. England outplayed us in the first hald, but we picked it up in the second half.

Like many in this thread, I am not a big soccer fan however I do enjoy watching the World Cup. The reason I can't get into it has been mentioned a few times in here, the continuous diving. Every game I see involves so much diving a lot of the skill of the game is taken out. It becomes about which team can take the best dive in the most opportune spot on the field. The refereeing is so subjective that I find myself getting frustrated by 90% of the calls.

Switzerland vs Chile yesterday was the perfect example. A Chilean player gets tapped on the side of his head, falls to the ground like he was shot with a rifle and the ref tosses the Swiss guy. It totally changed the entire game.

Don't know what game you were watching but the possession was around 5-49 for England. Hardly domination. Also, the US had a chance to go ahead 2-1, but Jose Altidor hit the post. Both teams played bad defense and really it should have been a 3-3 tie and not 1-1. England outplayed us in the first hald, but we picked it up in the second half.

Are you kidding me? Three goals for us?

England had open opportunities in front oh Howard and kicked it right to him. They could've put up 3 or 4 goals. I gave us Altidore's and took away Green's.

I like Soccer. What I don't like are all the people who suddenly become soccer die hards come World Cup. I'm a pretty casual Soccer fan, I try to watch on FSC and ESPN when I can but I'm no expert by any means. I go on Facebook though and it's like everyone has WOO BRAZIL in their status profile, I mean please they couldn't name three guys on the team! I guess it's kind of like the NCAA Tourney where nobody gives a damn about the sport until actual tournament time itself, except it's only every four years.

Obviously this is a heated debate in the tailgate AND stadium forums. So, if you are not a fan of the game list your reason(S) why.

For me personally? I'm tired of the soccer enthusiasts trying to convince us that we don't like the game because we "Just don't understand" the game. I don't like it because it's a ****ing snooze fest. There are so many reasons that I could list, but many others will address them.

BTW. If soccer is "gainng in popularity" in this country than the US vs England should've rated higher then the 5TH most watched soccer game in US history. No? Cue the excuses.

I agree completely.

I also cant stand all the dopes tripping and falling and acting like they just took a AA-12 shotgun bullet to the ankle...its absurd. They threw a goalie out a few days ago and after the replay was shown he didnt even touch the dude. With the theatrics and the slowness I just cant stand it. Ive watched about 20mins of the World Cup and it was the US vs England game.

I can sit and watch the US play if im w/some people and its on and im enjoying some brews but I cant just sit and watch 90mins of 0-0 soccer in solitude...its torture.

One of the cool things about world class Soccer, for me, is the fact that scoring is so low and it is so incredibly hard to score a goal. It makes the whole game like a massive case of blue ball denial, and when that goal is finally scored, the release for the crowd is extra special and cathartic. So to speak.

Ok, I'ma gonna quote myself here, because the game this morning was the perfect example of what I was talking about.

I needed a shower and a cigarette after that goal.

Enjoyed the victory and I think that is the first time in my life I sat through an entire game. If every soccer game was as intense as that one then maybe I'd watch it more often. Maybe it's just the American in me that watched it with more passion then I thought I had for a game of Futbol.

Furthermore, this really goes to show how short the attention span of many Americans have become. This nation not only seems to hate soccer, but is beginning to turn its back on the most American sport in the world: baseball. Why? Because there isn't constant action. Because it takes time and patience to watch. Because they can't wait for action. It has to be constant.

Ok, I'ma gonna quote myself here, because the game this morning was the perfect example of what I was talking about.

I needed a shower and a cigarette after that goal.

lol, that is the exact same feeling i had today!!! 90 minutes of my heart about to pop out of my chest, nearly losing my voice from screaming out of anger and excitement, about ready to throw up starting at the 75th minute if we didn't score a goal to go ahead. players literally bloodied and battered yet refusing to give up. coaches strategizing and inspiring, trying to give players that extra push they needed to keep going. building up, building up, every set play - every free kick, corner kick, throw in - every cross, every run down the field, every barely-missed shot...building up, building up. and then that goal was one of the most poweful yet relieving moments i've ever witnessed in sports.

lol, that is the exact same feeling i had today!!! 90 minutes of my heart about to pop out of my chest, nearly losing my voice from screaming out of anger and excitement, about ready to throw up starting at the 75th minute if we didn't score a goal to go ahead. players literally bloodied and battered yet refusing to give up. coaches strategizing and inspiring, trying to give players that extra push they needed to keep going. building up, building up, every set play - every free kick, corner kick, throw in - every cross, every run down the field, every barely-missed shot...building up, building up. and then that goal was one of the most poweful yet relieving moments i've ever witnessed in sports.

Or from a non-soccer's fan point of view it was:

1. Frustrating as hell that the refs are horrific. Guy elbowed in face, another waived off goal ... the list goes on and on.

2. Painful to watch 90 mins of one team basically trying to not win. Algeria seemed it would've been perfectly happy to draw and going home. Remove ties and I think it would greatly help.

Don't get me wrong. I watched, I cheered for USA, probably didn't have the same emotions as diehard soccer fans because I am not one. And I am happy USA is advancing because above all I support USA in every event.

But the refs are def ruining the world cup to date.

Furthermore, this really goes to show how short the attention span of many Americans have become. This nation not only seems to hate soccer, but is beginning to turn its back on the most American sport in the world: baseball. Why? Because there isn't constant action. Because it takes time and patience to watch. Because they can't wait for action. It has to be constant.

Not to derail - but I've heard this a few times.

why do people think America is turning on Baseball? Attendence is up, TV ratings are up, Network money is up....

So what exactly is down?

BTW -Not a soccer fan here but really enjoyed todays game.

Will it mean something long term? I doubt it.

I loved this years Gold Medal Hokey game -but still have not watched a entire NHL game this year. Not really my sport.

One of the best sporting events I enjoyed was the 2006, Maryland NCAA women's championship game against Duke. MD hitting a 3 as time expired while falling backwards to put the game in OT, then doing it again to win the game in OT.

haven't watched another women's basketball game since.

there are moments in sport that are bigger then the sport. This was one of them. It was exciting as hell, edge of my seat, etc....

But I have zero interest in watching any MLS game or any other World Cup game except for the US team.

Archived