Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Don't You Like Soccer? (Edited Title)

KingGibbs

I doubt you'll ever truly break soccer in the US, just like you won't football in Europe.

Both sports will remain somewhat cultist outside their own Country's. Real shame, as the American market would be limitless if it could be cracked. Just different cultures I guess. American's, in the main, both want big scores and non-stop action, and can't understand the concept of a tied out-come.

Although from a Country that's been in love with the bat and ball game for so long, (a glorified version of "rounder's", which is a girls game :silly:); the irony in soccer getting called boring isn't lost on any non-Americans.

Hail.

I wouldn't dispute that a bit. Just like a fuel-mileage race is a nail-biter at the end, but the casual or non-NASCAR fan says, "This sucks. The guy won because he still had gas left??"

And Dave, I don't sense any intent to be condescending on your part. Not at all. But instead of just telling us very casual fans that we don't understand it, why not try to enlighten us a little. I think this would be a good and appropriate place for it.

As someone said earlier, I sincerely respect the athleticism of soccer players; and their body control, footwork and ball control. But what is that "it" that can increase our enjoyment of the game?

I think your NASCAR parallel is spot on.

As far as the higher understanding, it's tied into the little things. It's how the teams use creative passing to get people into space, it's the precise cuts they make to make those passes. It's the runs the players make when they don't have the ball. Understand might be the wrong word, if not technically, then at least from an explanatory standpoint. When someone complains "it's just 90 minutes of back and forth for nothing," sometimes they're not technically wrong; where the lack of understanding, for lack of a better word, comes in, is the processing of that back and forth.

Watch what the players are doing. Follow the ball, but also follow what everyone else does around the ball. I just thought of the right word; it's not that people don't understand the game, it's that they don't notice the same things soccer fans do. Notice is the the right word. Don't just follow the game events, follow what's going on leading up to those events. Almost every sport is just someone sending an object somewhere else with an eventual destination in mind; the beauty of soccer is how they do that, and the skill involved makes it fun to watch them try, and even more fun when they succeed.

Notice the little things. That's the best enlightenment I can give.

I can explain the "hate" for both soccer and nascar.

In one camp, you have "daddy bought me my bmw" umbro wearing douchebags who think they're better than everyone. They played soccer in HS because it was the only sport they could really compete in, despite their best attempts at revisionist history. They hung out with the rest of their soccer clique in High School. Very much like rugby cliques that exist- except you're talking about a bunch of 160 pound *******, for the most part. And also, rugby players tend to be very nice guys who just like having a good time. So, there's that difference too.

Lacrosse, by extension, is the sport for those who looked at soccer and decided that their father made even more money than those who played soccer. So, they needed a way to further distance themselves from the unwashed heathen.

NASCAR fans are just too easy to profile- I'll let someone else do it.

Consider this a public service announcement.

There are a decent amount of people who don't like hockey. I'd say that before the Caps started getting better, most around here didn't care for hockey.

Around here? Maybe. Sure there were plenty of bandwagon jumpers, and personally, I don't have a problem with that.

But overall, soccer doesn't compare to hockey nationwide. Hell, even when DC United was winning titles every year, more people could've named three Caps than a single United'er. (United'ian?) :pfft:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nations-soccer-fan-becoming-insufferable,17553/

WILMINGTON, DE—As the 2010 World Cup approaches, friends, family, and coworkers of 32-year-old Brad Janovich are growing less tolerant of the exuberant behavior of the United States' lone soccer fan.

"Who's got World Cup fever?" Janovich asked his officemates at Credit Solutions Friday, failing to notice their silent stares as he reported for work clad in the sole Team USA jersey sold this year. "I do! I've got World Cup fever!"

"Check out this World Cup wall chart I just bought," added Janovich, who is the only American citizen currently aware that the World Cup begins June 11.

According to sources only peripherally aware of the World Cup, Janovich's infuriating behavior first became apparent during a Super Bowl viewing party last February when he repeatedly used the phrase "American football" to describe the action on the field. In recent weeks, Janovich has also begun referring to the supposed suspense involved in choosing the players for the U.S. "side," and has struck up several extended but one-sided conversations concerning figures such as "Kaka" and "Ronaldinho," generally mystifying and alienating everyone he has come into contact with.

Yesterday Janovich sent an office-wide e-mail about the controversy surrounding the new World Cup ball, and the message was instantly deleted by all of his coworkers.

"Decorating his cubicle with World Cup stuff is fine, I guess," said coworker Greg Lafferty, who endured several elevator rides in which he politely listened to the lone American soccer fan evaluate international matchups before realizing that Janovich was discussing the outcomes of soccer games and not impending wars. "I myself have a Yankees pennant at my desk. But Brad has all these scarves draped all over everything. They hang into other people's areas, and when they ask him to move them, he responds by explaining what the scarf means. It's driving us nuts."

"Last week he was talking about how 'footy' was really heating up and asked me to come over for the 'friendly' against Turkey," said Janovich's friend Beth Gleason, who has known the only projected U.S. viewer of this year's World Cup broadcast since college. "I love Brad, I really do, but when he talks like that I want to punch him in the goddamn face. Especially because, when I asked him what he was talking about, he just said the same thing again, only slower. I was like, 'Brad, don't talk like that. People don't talk like that.'"

With only a week to go, Janovich's singular, almost unconscionable degree of soccer fanhood has only intensified. Credit Solutions employees reported that a crude "World Cup countdown calendar" appeared on the break room wall Friday, the same day that everyone in Janovich's division arrived to find him wearing Umbro soccer shorts and placing a World Cup bracket on every desk.

In addition, coworkers reported that it is not uncommon for Janovich to spontaneously start humming or singing repeated snatches of songs evidently composed exclusively of the sound "olé" while seated at his desk.

"I had absolutely no idea what 'FIFA South Africa 2010' meant," said Lafferty, who made the mistake of asking Janovich to explain. "When he told me that's where the soccer games were and that the time difference meant he'd be getting up early to watch them, all I could think was that maybe he'd be too tired to talk about them afterward."

Janovich has also extended invitations to everyone he knows to accompany him to the Newgate, a pub in downtown Wilmington that will be showing the World Cup live and is favored by British expatriates.

"It'll be nice to finally be among other fans," Janovich said. "And speaking as a fan, it's really great to see Hotspur and Arsenal and Aston Villa supporters all come together for the Three Lions, though I'm hoping the Yanks can channel the spirit of the 1950 shock horror. But that's not as important as uniting in our love of the Beautiful Game, as any football [sic] fan will tell you."

Newgate regulars agreed that Janovich's enthusiasm was unique.

"That American fan? He's harmless, I guess," bartender and lifelong Tottenham supporter Martin West said. "Though he gets pretty tiresome with all his footy rubbish, and he can really get annoying when we're all just trying to watch in peace. Thank Christ he's the only one."

Wait, wait, wait.

If I have to like soccer to like fit girls with tits, then color me a soccer fan. :ols:

LMAO! He's going to have no response to that. But, he did prove our point about the popularity of the sport in this country. The women won the World Cup and the only thing that everyone talked about was Brandi taking her shirt off. Boom!

LMAO! He's going to have no response to that. But, he did prove our point about the popularity of the sport in this country. The women won the World Cup and the only thing that everyone talked about was Brandi taking her shirt off. Boom!

That's because women's sports don't count. Come on, man.

Plus, there were tits involved. If Landon Donovan wins us the World Cup, and he pulls off his shirt and a set of tits come popping out, I guarantee you that's all they'll be talking about again (albeit probably for different reasons, but still).

Around here? Maybe. Sure there were plenty of bandwagon jumpers, and personally, I don't have a problem with that.

But overall, soccer doesn't compare to hockey nationwide. Hell, even when DC United was winning titles every year, more people could've named three Caps than a single United'er. (United'ian?) :pfft:

Fair point and I agree with that. I guess I was just trying to say that both are a semi niche sport in the US. I would say that hockey is bigger because the NHL has been around longer and is easier to find on TV, but the casual sports fan couldn't care less about soccer or hockey. They just like to watch the big 3 sports.

I like soccer, but I'm not crazy about it. I'm not gonna critiscize the hardcore fans who love it though. I don't know what it is with people who don't like a particular sport, but wanna **** on everyone else who does. If you don't like it, don't ****ing watch it, simple as that. Theres really no need to start a thread on it. Some of the people who are so pissed off need to get a life, or a woman, or a shrink, or all three.

I played soccer for a number of years and watch the World Cup religiously. I still sometimes get disgusted with it because of the diving and faking injuries.

After college, I played in a coed rec league where a guy actually dove for a call on me. In a damned rec league. I was pissed, and the next chance I got in the flow of play, I busted him in the chops with an elbow so he wouldn't have to pretend.

In all honestly, I think soccer would be easier to watch if they had an actual penalty system in place for diving. Anytime someone goes down to the point where they're rolling around screaming and holding their head (even though they got hit in the leg) this is what should happen.

The ref calls for a stretcher if they don't get up. If they do get up as soon as they see the stretcher, that's a yellow card. If they get carted off the field, they aren't allowed back on for a set amount of time. At this point, the ref just waves them on during a stoppage, but I think it should be longer. Say 3 - 5 minutes. Just to make sure they're okay and physically able to continue, for their safety and all. Until that time is up, their team has to play a man down. If the team doesn't want to play a man down, then burn a substitution and swap the guy out.

I'm sure some would argue that the other team could take advantage of this by trying to seriously hurt someone, but that's what red cards are for. Personally, I like this idea, it would be amusing trying to watch the Italians (among other team) play with eight men at a time, because three of them were off recuperating.

I played soccer for a number of years and watch the World Cup religiously. I still sometimes get disgusted with it because of the diving and faking injuries.

After college, I played in a coed rec league where a guy actually dove for a call on me. In a damned rec league. I was pissed, and the next chance I got in the flow of play, I busted him in the chops with an elbow so he wouldn't have to pretend.

In all honestly, I think soccer would be easier to watch if they had an actual penalty system in place for diving. Anytime someone goes down to the point where they're rolling around screaming and holding their head (even though they got hit in the leg) this is what should happen.

The ref calls for a stretcher if they don't get up. If they do get up as soon as they see the stretcher, that's a yellow card. If they get carted off the field, they aren't allowed back on for a set amount of time. At this point, the ref just waves them on during a stoppage, but I think it should be longer. Say 3 - 5 minutes. Just to make sure they're okay and physically able to continue, for their safety and all. Until that time is up, their team has to play a man down. If the team doesn't want to play a man down, then burn a substitution and swap the guy out.

I'm sure some would argue that the other team could take advantage of this by trying to seriously hurt someone, but that's what red cards are for. Personally, I like this idea, it would be amusing trying to watch the Italians (among other team) play with eight men at a time, because three of them were off recuperating.

If the dive is egregious enough, they'll card you for it.

If ESPN would hire those guys on the Spanish channel to commentate this wouldn't be a problem.

Hockey disagrees. :twocents:
More people watch the World Cup then the Stanley Cup. In fact, its not even close.

"Field has two 'goal areas' although usually only one is needed."

"Game clock, which keeps running at random times for no apparent reason and is summarily ignored by players and officials alike."

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

God, that's the most accurate soccer analysis I've ever seen. The Onion is usually full of more truth than real newspapers.

I like soccer, but I'm not crazy about it. I'm not gonna critiscize the hardcore fans who love it though. I don't know what it is with people who don't like a particular sport, but wanna **** on everyone else who does. If you don't like it, don't ****ing watch it, simple as that. Theres really no need to start a thread on it. Some of the people who are so pissed off need to get a life, or a woman, or a shrink, or all three.

My philosophy is "I am a Trekkie. I do not make fun of other people's hobbies."

If ESPN would hire those guys on the Spanish channel to commentate this wouldn't be a problem.

More people watch the World Cup then the Stanley Cup. In fact, its not even close.

That's not really a relevant fact. Now, if more people in the US per match watch the World Cup than the Stanley Cup, which is entirely possible, that'd be relevant.

It's funny because "it's boring" is why I don't like baseball, and why a lot europeans, south americans don't like the NFL. And the response to that is "oh it's because you don't understand the game"

It's the same old argument(s) for both sides. No one has to watch soccer that doesn't want to. Nor golf, nor baseball, NASCAR, or any other sport.

The positive thing is that the "Americans don't play soccer faction" is dying. Millions of little boys and girls and teenage boys and girls are playing soccer. No other sport, aside from basketball, has that kind of pull from both genders and these current kids will have their own kids in twenty years who they'll put in soccer. Middle class parents are afraid of concussions, so football "enrollments" will drop. We're a nation of immigrants who care more about soccer than the other sports. American billionaires are buying foreign soccer teams (with varying degrees of success) because they see the potential.

Just for the record. For those of you around my age (bang?) and in the Balto metro area. Our family was big time Blast fans. Why? Because that was truly non-stop action and of course the playing field was much shorter and that led to more action. So maybe I just don't like the outdoor version?

That's because women's sports don't count. Come on, man.

Plus, there were tits involved. If Landon Donovan wins us the World Cup, and he pulls off his shirt and a set of tits come popping out, I guarantee you that's all they'll be talking about again (albeit probably for different reasons, but still).

Your first sentence describes why you SHOULD despise soccer if you don't. Or at least not count it.:silly:

Landon Donovan actually did take his shirt after the last game and everyone in the place I was said "why the hell doesn't he put his shirt on?" Nobody said that about Brandi

Archived