Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Don't You Like Soccer? (Edited Title)

KingGibbs

Reading idiotic comments like "commie ball kicking game" really get my blood boiling. Should I call it "neo-imperialist ball throwing game?" "Capitalist pigdog ball-and-stick game?"

The hate for soccer astonishes me. Never have I had a stranger come up to me and question my love for American football, or ice hockey. It's happened twice during this World Cup when I wore my Denmark shirt.

I'm convinced the majority of militant soccer haters also are closet xenophobes.

Hockey is never going to catch up. I'm not surprised that the Stanley Cup is less popular than the World Cup, but wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare the World Cup viewership to the Olympic hockey viewership? Four year, international competition and all...

As far as soccer's growth goes: when you're at the bottom the only place to go is up. :silly: Besides, with all of the trespas- uhm, neighbors from the south moving in, it's no surprise that our sports culture is changing.

No that wouldn't be more appropriate. Because that is still Soccer. The quotes wasn't about which Soccer events are popular. But was Soccer as popular here in the US as some other Sports. In this case Hockey. Granted the fervor dies down between the olympics and the World Cup, but it is huge while they are going on, and have been increasing in popularity.

I can see where you are going with that last statement, and that may affect it. But that doesn't explain why the Number top 5 watched World Cups in the US had not one Mexican team.

Soccer is just above baseball on the TV watchability level. I love to watch a game in person, or play it, and I coach Soccer for Upward Soccer in our League, but like baseball, I can't stand to watch the games typically unless I'm really bored.

Football is King, then College Basketball, then Indy Car Racing ;)

I don't despise it but it could use more scoring

I'll be up at 7 am and nothing will be going on. I'm half asleep lying on my bed because they're just kicking the ball around the first half, and it's still 0-0

Things usually pick up the 2nd half

It's a slower, less exciting version of ice hockey.

Too much space for the players to maneuver around in. Played for way to long at a slower pace than most North American sports.

All in all its watching grown men kick a ball about back and forth for 9000 minutes punctuated by a goal every day or three.

No that wouldn't be more appropriate. Because that is still Soccer. The quotes wasn't about which Soccer events are popular. But was Soccer as popular here in the US as some other Sports. In this case Hockey. Granted the fervor dies down between the olympics and the World Cup, but it is huge while they are going on, and have been increasing in popularity.

I can see where you are going with that last statement, and that may affect it. But that doesn't explain why the Number top 5 watched World Cups in the US had not one Mexican team.

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I think that the World Cup and the Olympics would be a better comparison. If it's all "still soccer," one could compare, for instance, DC United pre-season games to the Olympic hockey finals, right?

Soccer is just above baseball on the TV watchability level. I love to watch a game in person, or play it, and I coach Soccer for Upward Soccer in our League, but like baseball, I can't stand to watch the games typically unless I'm really bored.

Football is King, then College Basketball, then Indy Car Racing ;)

I agree that soccer is slighty less boring to watch than baseball, but car racing? I can look out my window. :silly:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNdX7gU064&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNdX7gU064&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

:D

I don't really despise soccer, I just think soccer fans have an inordinate amount of love for it. I mean, this is obviously pure opinion but, for crying out loud, it's just not that much fun. It's like hockey... except you don't need to learn to skate while you do it, you just run around. And the goalie will only touch the ball about a half dozen times during the game. And it's a big field, so there's a lot of running from one point to another and playing keep-away. And nobody hits anybody. And if they do, somebody is going to cry.

And for a game that's "non-stop action" and "they're playing the whole ninety minutes!" it is not nearly fast-paced enough. Remember that handball game they play during the summer Olympics? That game was pretty much the same thing as soccer (except it's all hands, rather than all feet) but it was fun to watch because it was incredibly fast-paced. I've always thought soccer would benefit from a smaller field, with a couple fewer people.

And the scoring is simplistic. A lot of sports have simple scoring, which is one of the reasons I like football so much. Variety in the scoring system allows for some interesting situations and more opportunities in the gameplay.

Also, soccer is boring. :pfft:

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but I think that the World Cup and the Olympics would be a better comparison. If it's all "still soccer," one could compare, for instance, DC United pre-season games to the Olympic hockey finals, right?

This whole thread is about "Why do you despise Soccer?"

Not "What Soccer Event is the Most Popular?"

So no it doesn't make sense in comparing two soccer events, since the original comparison came up between World Cup and the Stanley Cup.

Yeah, I conceded MLS doesn't pull in jack as far as ratings. But I stand behind my opinion that Soccer is getting more popular in the US each year, and put numbers to back it up.

I'm not a fan of soccer but I enjoy the world cup. Mostly because its a major sporting event and in general, its not as boring as most other soccer games due to it being the world cup.

For me, its similar to the Olympics. I won't go out of my way to watch track and field or gymnastics (and other events) unless its the Olympics (or a really hyped American Olympian such as a Michael Phelps). This is pretty much the same with the World Cup with me.

As far as why I don't like it that much...

There are way too many dives and fall artists in the game. There is a stoppage for almost any sort of contact. I prefer contact sports... football and hockey are where its at for me.

And in the same token as the World Cup, I'll only watch baseball if its for a penant, the world series, or if there's something historical happening. I saw Strasburg pitch and was interested in that, but the game I went to (this past Friday) was largely boring to me.

I played soccer a few years when I was young, my bro played a lot, all through highschool- we both were goalies.

But to follow it or watch it, not my thing. I don't despise it, and I know the game, but its like watching Golf. I like Golf, I like to play, but not sit and watch hours of it. And it can't compare to action packed football imo. I like to see people hit each other. If soccer had hard hitting tackling, I might watch. :-)

I just dont get the boring argument. Any sport that you dont understand is going to be incredibly boring.

Theres a lot more to soccer than scoring goals and remembering to be onside when you do it.

Sports that you don't understand are usually boring, but just because it's boring doesn't mean that you don't understand it. I understand Nascar, golf, and baseball, but that doesn't make them exciting.

I don't despise but there are a number of factors that keep me from really getting into it and caring about the sport:

1. Referring. They are horrific. Quite possibly the worst referring in all of sports.

2. The actors. Watching Italy 4 years ago was the worst thing I'd ever seen. So much diving. It's an embarrassment to your sport.

3. Low action. There is a lack of scoring and no physical contact allowed so you watch 90 mins hoping for 5 mins of action. It doesn't add up.

4. No contact. I mean I am sure it hurts but how many times does a guy get tapped on the ankles and he immediately clutches it toss and turns on the ground ... then no card ok im good ... back in the play.

5. Lack of a high level of play in the US. Watching Argentina or Portugal or Brazil can be entertaining. MLS? Not so much. I have no reason to follow the premiere leagues.

6. Poor exposure to US. They are trying but there isn't a lot of analysis that can go into soccer at a high level for the casual fan.

7. Allowing ties. I hate ties. Worst thing in sports. Sports primarily are entertainment. Nothing worse in my opinion then investing several hours in something where both teams leave as they entered.

8. "Stoppage time". How about not letting people act on the ground or delay the game. Games should be on a set clock. Not an approximation. If someone is delaying the game give them a yellow card.

What the world cup has going for it right now is the sweet spot of all the major sports done with their championships (NFL, NHL and NBA) and baseball season is in it's current boring stage.

If the World Cup was around when NHL, NFL or NBA was in season ... good luck getting this kind of coverage.

I am sure my mind would change if I grew up in Europe or saw a live game over there. But at least here and MLS? I'd rather stay home. It's not entertaining enough for 2 1/2 hours.

Sports that you don't understand are usually boring, but just because it's boring doesn't mean that you don't understand it. I understand Nascar, golf, and baseball, but that doesn't make them exciting.

Yes, except most people in this country really dont understand soccer. At all.

Most Americans will have enough understanding of all the major sports to judge them. Soccer is on a completely different level.

I don't despise but there are a number of factors that keep me from really getting into it and caring about the sport:

1. Referring. They are horrific. Quite possibly the worst referring in all of sports.

2. The actors. Watching Italy 4 years ago was the worst thing I'd ever seen. So much diving. It's an embarrassment to your sport.

3. Low action. There is a lack of scoring and no physical contact allowed so you watch 90 mins hoping for 5 mins of action. It doesn't add up.

4. No contact. I mean I am sure it hurts but how many times does a guy get tapped on the ankles and he immediately clutches it toss and turns on the ground ... then no card ok im good ... back in the play.

5. Lack of a high level of play in the US. Watching Argentina or Portugal or Brazil can be entertaining. MLS? Not so much. I have no reason to follow the premiere leagues.

6. Poor exposure to US. They are trying but there isn't a lot of analysis that can go into soccer at a high level for the casual fan.

7. Allowing ties. I hate ties. Worst thing in sports. Sports primarily are entertainment. Nothing worse in my opinion then investing several hours in something where both teams leave as they entered.

8. "Stoppage time". How about not letting people act on the ground or delay the game. Games should be on a set clock. Not an approximation. If someone is delaying the game give them a yellow card.

What the world cup has going for it right now is the sweet spot of all the major sports done with their championships (NFL, NHL and NBA) and baseball season is in it's current boring stage.

If the World Cup was around when NHL, NFL or NBA was in season ... good luck getting this kind of coverage.

I am sure my mind would change if I grew up in Europe or saw a live game over there. But at least here and MLS? I'd rather stay home. It's not entertaining enough for 2 1/2 hours.

Nice post!....... Agreed with all of it. I try to tune in on the WC (cuz nothing else is on) but I always find myself getting drowse. weird huh?

I'm pretty much where Bang is. I pay attention every 4 years because I am a junky for major sporting events, whatever they may be. Like it or not, there is no denying that the FIFA tournament is a big deal on the world stage.

If you don't like it, then I dunno maybe just don't watch it... does it have to turn into a fist fight?

This is me too.

I get caught up in the globality (I think I just made up a word) of the World Cup. I love that people from every corner of the planet are tuning in and caring about what is happening.

I could never just watch a complete MLS game (match) or anything like that though.

I have no idea what you're referring to?

Agree with you on this.

Is it scoring that is exciting or the anticipation leading up to scoring? Do you lose your mind watching every basket in an NBA game? NFL and MLB games are clocked at less than 13 minutes of action for the 3 hours you are watching it. Soccer averages around 70 minutes for every 90 you watch. Your logic doesn't add up

You have no clue what you're talking about. Play the game at a high level and come back to talk to me. Sure a lot of these pros are acting but they are *****-*** europeans and south americans. American players frown on that kind of junk.

MLS does suck. So don't follow the other leagues. Who cares?

Why do you need analysis? Soccer isn't for the casual fan. You have a team and you support it. We don't need casual fans, we do well enough with you.

Well that's just your lowest-common-denominator attitude. Elevated reasoning would suggest that if your team was losing at, say, half time the fan would be happier with a draw at the end of regulation. Your view point is like the Japanese in WW2. "Hey we'd rather die than live to fight another day." It's a great approach since soldiers are a replaceable commodity.

For all the complaining about ties, few people seem happy about the way NFL overtime decides a winner. And no one seems to complain when NFL games end in a tie after overtime anyway.

Um, they do set a clock. Refs stop the watch they have and restart it when he allows play to resume. Learn something about the game first then complain about it.

The World Cup has been bigger than all those combined for a longer period of time. Even if it was at another time, there would still be the same coverage. Maybe not on ESPN, but we'd still get the broadcast. What you don't understand is that there are literally, millions of non-casual American soccer fans. Probably more than the populations of smaller, soccer mad countries. We watch our games religiously every weekend because there are ways now. Most of us don't even like the ESPN coverage because those announcer dumb down the content, well, for the "casual" fan.

Reading idiotic comments like "commie ball kicking game" really get my blood boiling. Should I call it "neo-imperialist ball throwing game?" "Capitalist pigdog ball-and-stick game?"

The hate for soccer astonishes me. Never have I had a stranger come up to me and question my love for American football, or ice hockey. It's happened twice during this World Cup when I wore my Denmark shirt.

I'm convinced the majority of militant soccer haters also are closet xenophobes.

I like the neo-imperialist throwing game description and it is appropriate from my outlook. Soccer is an impediment to our cultural imperialism (minor though), so that is one of the reasons I don't like it (however, the primary reason is that is a boring sport to watch).

I used to not like soccer, hated it. Or so I thought. It was really just one of those things me and some friends made fun of because we thought it was funny. I really got into it after high school though after catching a couple of games. Now I'm one of the few in my circle of friends that really enjoys the game.

Watching the US/England game was a bit of a chore when the entire time I had people commenting on how the game could be made better and why Howard was at fault for that goal since "hockey goalies do it this way".

Destino's first post rung true to me in that. I think I would've enjoyed the game by myself more than with a group of people who don't appreciate the game and just make snide comments. Whilst the game's not going on I can take the ribbing, but during the game I don't care how much cooler rugby is compared to soccer. Funny how everyone cheered when we tied, though. :D

Archived