Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Don't You Like Soccer? (Edited Title)

KingGibbs

I'm gona' take this from a different angle.

I'm from a City, Liverpool, where football is the all consuming passion. Your either red or blue, anyone in between is an atheist, lol. I've grown up with the game, travelling all over England and Europe in support of my team over a good many years.

But now I can take it or leave it when it comes to the sport. A combination of getting older, and priorities in life changing; but more so the "modern" game that now is, which, aside from 11 players aside, 3 officials and the pitch; is a TOTALLY unrecognisable game from the one I grew up with. Like most other sports, money overrides everything in the game now. The players have all the power, and abuse that to it's fullest in many instances; and your no longer treated as a fan, but as a "customer"; only as good as the size of your wallet. To say the games become a middle to upper class sport is understatement. Which hits home even more for what was the weekly release of the masses of the working class.

I've been a season ticket holder at Anfield since 1986, and have just shelled out the equivalent of $1,003 to renew for next season. But like the last 4 years now, I shall rarely be in attendance. My S/T is already down to be loaned out again, so apathetic am I to the game in general now. It's more a "par for the course" thing, and not wanting to give it up that keeps me getting it. I'll still go the odd the game, (tickets have never been a problem for any game. The boys will always sort me out), but those games are sadly few and far between now. In my youth, if I missed ANY game, it would ruin the whole week. Back then, all you lived for was going the match.

Not sure why I'm sharing this, as I don't "despise" the game as such. Just a sad perspective on the changing face of the game that's driving away many traditional fans of my generation.

Hail.

I understand that.

What I don't get is the hatred for soccer.

It elicits such a strong negative response and I don't quite get it. Again, if its boring to you why does it bother you so much when its on? Of course it gets a ton of coverage...the Super Bowl is like a tee-ball game compared to how the world follows the World Cup. So again, I just don't get the anger towards international soccer.

There's a perception that its not an "American" sport because it wasn't invented here and people's parents and grandparents didnt grow up watching it.

So that means they must hate it, despise it.

I'm gona' take this from a different angle.

I'm from a City, Liverpool, where football is the all consuming passion. Your either red or blue, anyone in between is an atheist, lol. I've grown up with the game, travelling all over England and Europe in support of my team over a good many years.

But now I can take it or leave it when it comes to the sport. A combination of getting older, and priorities in life changing; but more so the "modern" game that now is, which, aside from 11 players aside, 3 officials and the pitch; is a TOTALLY unrecognisable game from the one I grew up with. Like most other sports, money overrides everything in the game now. The players have all the power, and abuse that to it's fullest in many instances; and your no longer treated as a fan, but as a "customer"; only as good as the size of your wallet. To say the games become a middle to upper class sport is understatement. Which hits home even more for what was the weekly release of the masses of the working class.

I've been a season ticket holder at Anfield since 1986, and have just shelled out the equivalent of $1,003 to renew for next season. But like the last 4 years now, I shall rarely be in attendance. My S/T is already down to be loaned out again, so apathetic am I to the game in general now. It's more a "par for the course" thing, and not wanting to give it up that keeps me getting it. I'll still go the odd the game, (tickets have never been a problem for any game. The boys will always sort me out), but those games are sadly few and far between now. In my youth, if I missed ANY game, it would ruin the whole week. Back then, all you lived for was going the match.

Not sure why I'm sharing this, as I don't "despise" the game as such. Just a sad perspective on the changing face of the game that's driving away many traditional fans of my generation.

Hail.

We don't despise football...we despise soccer :)

Overly dramatic flopping. Despise it in basketball also.

Arbitrary "stoppage" time. If you are going to add time to account for stoppage...just stop the clock.

Lack of scoring opportunities. Not lack of scoring. Lack of suspense that there might be a score at any second. Hockey comparison. May be 2-2 but 30-40 shots on goal. The goalie in that game ACTUALLY makes saves.

The flopping is terrible, but it's not as widespread as it's made out to be, and generally, non-Italian soccer fans hate it as much as non-soccer fans.

The MLS tried a traditional American timing system with clock stoppage at first, and it totally licked balls. Completely ****ed the flow of the game up.

As far as the last point, soccer is like seduction, the buildup is half the fun. I love hockey too, it's my 2a sport (2b being soccer), but it's different. The lower shot count makes the shots taken that much more exciting, and it makes the buildup to those shots more exciting too.

Because I grew up on US sports like football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc where a game that ends in a 1-1 type tie is just not exciting. Even a football or baseball game that's tied at 3-3 (football) or 1-1 after an hour is generally pretty boring to watch. There's a part of my American brain that just doesn't understand how the US can tie 3 straight games and advance to the next round AND consider that a good thing.

I hate when people use the whole "You only hate it cuz you don't understand it" thing, to defend a boring activity. What a bunch of nonsense.

I understand how to do long division, but that doesn't make it exciting.

:rotflmao:

Well put.

The whole "you don't understand it" argument is nonsense anyway. You know what sport I didn't understand for a really long time? Hockey. I mean, I knew the basics, but I wouldn't have been able to explain what boarding is, or been able to name more than the absolute biggest-name players. I only got into it because of the turnaround the Caps have made. But you know what? When I went to my first Caps game, I left thinking, "Holy crap, this kicks ass, I want to watch more." I started watching on TV and learning more about the game.

My understanding of soccer is probably where my understanding of hockey was after my first few months of becoming interested. I've even been to a DC United game. I played soccer for ten years when I was a kid. And never once have I had even the slightest urge to watch anything other than the World Cup.

And how is that different from a 3 hour NFL game that ends 10-7?

Are we gonna sit here and compare soccer to football? Soccer WILL NEVER get over in this country no matter what you or ESPN says.

The fact of the matter is that the US doesn't dominate this sport, so therefore, this country doesn't care.

I have never understood the hate. I am with DH28, I don't give a rip about NASCAR, but you won't see me writing blogs about how much Nascar sucks.

I enjoy soccer, I go to DC United games, watch the US team when I get the chance. The whole "its not American communist kickball nonsense" is a big load of nonsense.

Here is why most Americans don't like soccer: We don't win big at it.

Once we get to the Final 4 of the WC, or hell win it, all the "haters" will have no problem jumping on the bandwagon. Evidence? Brandi Chastain

There's a perception that its not an "American" sport because it wasn't invented here and people's parents and grandparents didnt grow up watching it.

So that means they must hate it, despise it.

Hockey disagrees. :twocents:

I have never understood the hate. I am with DH28, I don't give a rip about NASCAR, but you won't see me writing blogs about how much Nascar sucks.

I enjoy soccer, I go to DC United games, watch the US team when I get the chance. The whole "its not American communist kickball nonsense" is a big load of nonsense.

Here is why most Americans don't like soccer: We don't win big at it.

Once we get to the Final 4 of the WC, or hell win it, all the "haters" will have no problem jumping on the bandwagon. Evidence? Brandi Chastain

Probably other reasons people were jumping on that bandwagon.

You could start a thread "Why do you despise people that start threads about despising soccer?" That would probably be interesting

I hate when people use the whole "You only hate it cuz you don't understand it" thing, to defend a boring activity. What a bunch of nonsense.

I understand how to do long division, but that doesn't make it exciting.

I agree with you there. I love soccer and 'you just dont understand it' is not a valid argument. Ive watched a couple of lacrosse games and I have no idea what is going on there, but I enjoy it. I barely understand most hockey rules but I love watching it. I understand baseball and golf really well and think that they are boring as all hell.

:whoknows:

BTW. If soccer is "gainng in popularity" in this country than the US vs England should've rated higher then the 5TH most watched soccer game in US history. No? Cue the excuses.

Well to be fair, all the other games except the 1999 Women's World Cup are from the 1994 World Cup in the U.S. so of course those are going to be more watched.

And it may be boring to you which is understandable, but I doubt you actually do understand it. Maybe you do, I don't know.

IOnce we get to the Final 4 of the WC, or hell win it, all the "haters" will have no problem jumping on the bandwagon. Evidence? Brandi Chastain

Wait, wait, wait.

If I have to like soccer to like fit girls with tits, then color me a soccer fan. :ols:

The MLS tried a traditional American timing system with clock stoppage at first, and it totally licked balls. Completely ****ed the flow of the game up.

How? Stop the clock when setting up a free kick or when the ball goes out of bounds. Start it when the ball is put back in play. If you just had some dude sitting there with a button, pushing it whenever he saw play stop and pushing it again as soon as he saw play resume, it wouldn't be any different in terms of "flow" than the arbitrary "guess how much time was missed, then sort of adhere to your guess if you feel like it" system that soccer uses now.

And Dave, I don't sense any intent to be condescending on your part. Not at all. But instead of just telling us very casual fans that we don't understand it, why not try to enlighten us a little. I think this would be a good and appropriate place for it.

There's a whole thread devoted to that here :)

I'm not a fan of soccer. I tried to watch games before but it's just too boring. There's hardly any scoring. It's very possible to get up and use the bathroom, only to come back and miss the only goal of the game. It's probably why the fans go bonkers when a score finally happens. Also, I like sports that use arms and hands too. Sometimes it seems like some Americans say they like soccer because they want to seem unique or different.

Archived