Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best stand up routine of all time

WVUforREDSKINS

IMO, the two greatest of all time are Chris Rock and George Carlin. Either one, pretty much any show.

You know how you tell a great standup comedian? Every other part of their career is a mess.

If someone is doing standup and they are great in movies or tv, they are automatically disqualified from the discussion. Sorry folks, those are the rules.

Who had a more ****ed up life off the stage than Richard Pryor? He was born to a hooker and grew up in his grandmother's whore house, spent most of his army career in jail, married about 27 times, shot up his car with one of his wives in it, was coked out of his mind during most of his movie career, had a heart attack, set himself on fire, suffered from MS...

He was also the best stand up comedian who ever lived. Period. Any comic who worked after him agrees.

-

Nobody has mentioned Jerry Seinfeld. It seems laughable to say, but he may be underrated as a stand-up comic, because his stand-up is overshadowed by his insane TV success. He and Cosby might be the two best PG-rated stand-up acts ever.

Most people have mentioned my favorite shows. Bill Cosby's "Himself", Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" and Robin Williams "Live At The Met".

One of my favorites from the past. Larry Miller's 5 stages of drinking.

piPyfqAKf6o

One of my favorite George Carlin bits: Football vs Baseball

om_yq4L3M_I

Who had a more ****ed up life off the stage than Richard Pryor? He was born to a hooker and grew up in his grandmother's whore house, spent most of his army career in jail, married about 27 times, shot up his car with one of his wives in it, was coked out of his mind during most of his movie career, had a heart attack, set himself on fire, suffered from MS...

Damon Wayans had a great perspective on Pryor. He said, most comedians get off the road and start to work on their act. Pryor just lived his life and that was his act.

So, whatcha gonna do?

Damon Wayans had a great perspective on Pryor. He said' date=' most comedians get off the road and start to work on their act. Pryor just lived his life and that was his act.

So, whatcha gonna do?[/quote']

I read "Jokes My Father Never Taught Me" by Richard Pryor's daughter, Rain. It wasn't an Ozzie and Harriet life. Coke, hookers, and hangers-on were the norm.

"Daddy," she told her father one day, sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner at the advanced age of eight, "the whores need to be paid."

"If you're here tonight and you're in marketing: kill yourself."-Bill Hicks.

It's amazing that he never got a sitcom.

You gotta bear with me, I'm very tired, very tired of traveling, and very tired of doing comedy, and very tired of staring out at your vacant faces looking back at me, wanting me to fill your empty lives with humor you couldn't possibly think of yourselves. Good evening.

IMO, the two greatest of all time are Chris Rock and George Carlin. Either one, pretty much any show.

You know how you tell a great standup comedian? Every other part of their career is a mess.

If someone is doing standup and they are great in movies or tv, they are automatically disqualified from the discussion. Sorry folks, those are the rules.

I'm such a rule breaker then because as has been stated,one of the most brilliant stand up guys I've seen was Richard Pryor. Another,just for his improv alone,was Robin Williams. Certainly there are some who fall in to those "rules",but that doesn't,nor shouldn't imho,take away from those who are damn good at more than just a few things. Actually,in some ways,to be a really good stand up,(depends on style mind you),you have to be able to act some.

That said,I also loved,and still do,much of Bill Cosby's stuff. Especially for the first part of his long career. And yeah,I like Bill Hicks. George Carlin,Chris Rock,and Stephen Wright. Just for starters.

For the record books,stand up is one of the most challenging things ever to do. My respect to anyone who can get up there and be even semi successful.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD0s7gfTotk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD0s7gfTotk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This isn't the greatest standup of all time but it the most recent one that really cracked me up. Joe Wong's the name.

all yall are defnitely trippin... NO MARTIN LAWRENCE?!!!

you so crazy to me was one of the funniest stand ups i ever seen...also sinbad.

but my favs are richard pryor martin lawrence and dave chapelle. katt williams up there as well but how have there been no mentions of martin lawrence!!

Hey....you know who I like? Bill Hicks.

To follow up on Zoony's rules' date=' Hicks was so great that EVERY part of his career was a mess. The guy was so brilliant that hacks are still ripping him off 20 years later and I don't think he ever played anything larger than a club.

Hicks is one of the few stand-ups who ever felt legitimately dangerous. Pryor did. [/quote']

More Hicks!

igvJ1Mew6Go

all yall are defnitely trippin... NO MARTIN LAWRENCE?!!!

you so crazy to me was one of the funniest stand ups i ever seen...also sinbad.

but my favs are richard pryor martin lawrence and dave chapelle. katt williams up there as well but how have there been no mentions of martin lawrence!!

because the guy is not funny. Im not really sure how you can have dave chappelle and richard pryor as favorites and then include martin lawrence. He is not even close to those guys comedically.

Steven Wright?

Lewis Black?

I'm a big fan of Steven Wright. Black is good too, but a step down from my favorites.

Steven Wright came to Emory when I was a freshman, and absolutely slayed. I've never seen a comedian live who came anywhere close.

"Only one company gets to make the game Monopoly..."

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good..."

"When I was a kid we had a sandbox. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child...eventually"

Steven Wright came to Emory when I was a freshman, and absolutely slayed. I've never seen a comedian live who came anywhere close.

"Only one company gets to make the game Monopoly..."

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good..."

"When I was a kid we had a sandbox. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child...eventually"

same story, same result. when i was a freshman in college, steven wright came to Mary Washington College and absolutely KILLED. he is a genius.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived