Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

DarrellsMyHero28

What?

Gandhi was nominated 5 times. 1937, 1938, 1939, 1947, and 1948

Link

Yes, but Gandhi was not universally recognized as a positive figure at first. The British (and by extension the other Europeans) thought of him as a dangerous rabblerouser and a Nazi sympathizer. It was only after the end of WWII and the dismantling of colonial empires that the Western world came to recognize how extraordinary Gandhi was. Unfortunately, by that time, he was dead, and Nobel Prizes are not awarded to dead people.

Am I the only one who finds it funny that a discussion about the Nobel Peace Prize has everyone at each others' throats? :hysterical:

it is quite funny isn't it?

in case anyone is interested in international reaction:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/09/international-media-reactions-obama-peace-prize/

Has links to various reports from Pakistan, Taliban, England, Polland, etc. Seems like there are more "Huh?'s" than congratulations. Although the funniest quote is from the Taliban.

PS, I'm definitely not in the "angry" crowd, but honestly confused at what he has done (not just said) that makes him deserve this. that's all. I think it's a legit confusion.

Am I the only one who finds it funny that a discussion about the Nobel Peace Prize has everyone at each others' throats? :hysterical:

Clinton Portis and Mike Sellers had a big fight about it this morning and Kanye West is happy for Pres. Obama, but thinks Jimmy Carter's NPP was the best of all time.

:D

Hope

Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul,

And sings the tune--without the words,

And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;

And sore must be the storm

That could abash the little bird

That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,

And on the strangest sea;

Yet, never, in extremity,

It asked a crumb of me.

Clinton Portis and Mike Sellers had a big fight about it this morning and Kanye West is happy for Pres. Obama, but thinks Jimmy Carter's NPP was the best of all time.

someone somewhere is photoshopping...I'm patiently waiting:hysterical:

Most of us are simply laughing at some people who will defend Obama at any cost.

That's the point. This shouldn't even be about him. Any ire in this case should be directed at the Nobel committee. They're the ones who gave him the award! Statements like you just made only makes the point.

I'm simply laughing at the people who can't piece together their own logic when trying to hate on something. At least make some sense. Laughable.

That's the point. This shouldn't even be about him. Any ire in this case should be directed at the Nobel committee. They're the ones who gave him the award! Statements like you just made only makes the point.

I'm simply laughing at the people who can't piece together their own logic when trying to hate on something. At least make some sense. Laughable.

I couldn't agree more, its not like Obama gave himself the Nobel prize.

Most of us are simply laughing at some people who will defend Obama at any cost.

And, to be fair, some of us also are laughing at some people who attack Obama at any opportunity.

It's not like Obama pulled a Napoleon Bonaparte, and crowned himself Nobel Prize winner. Someone else gave it to him. His response to this has been remarkably gracious - "I don't think I deserve this, I think of it more as an affirmation of everyting that America has done or tried to do as a world peacekeeper, and I'm going to accept it on that basis..."

Hard to see how you can criticize Obama for that.

I don't have a problem with it for the same reason that gangsters are often convicted of tax evasion even when we know they are guilty of far worse. Bush took the path that would get things done. You seem like an intelligent person. You cant believe that Bush was alone in his belief that the WMD was there. Clinton and Gore are both on record as saying Saddam had WMD when they were in power and they had access to the same intel.

Well, there we will disagree. I have a problem with anyone who lies to me, let alone my own government. If Clinton and Gore had done the same thing, I would hold them equally accountable. There must be transparency in the process. Without it, we are no better than the other dictators.

With respect to Bin Laden, Iraq, and their ties. I certainly don't have all the insight. And that stuff you posted about the Iraqis and Al Qaeda working together I can totally believe. You're probably right. And I don't disagree. Sadaam was a bad bad guy, and deserved (even without WMD) to be taken down. This I don't dispute.

I just think we need to be transparent. Tell me the truth and I'll respect, follow, get behind, fight for all sorts of stuff.

So angry are some folks about this. Who cares?

I think it's great, my friends and I (Dems and Repubs alike) have gotten some good laughs about it today.

I was just joking this morning that I'm going to nominate my niece for a Nobel because for the first time in my babysitting history, she took a poopie in the toilet like a big girl!! Whoot Whoot!

PS, I'm definitely not in the "angry" crowd, but honestly confused at what he has done (not just said) that makes him deserve this. that's all. I think it's a legit confusion.

I think a lot people are in the confused crowd, and rightly so. I don't understand the anger though; most people who are angry about this are the same people who've previously claimed the prize is a joke...so if it's such a joke, why be angry?

:hysterical: You are such a dork, I love it!

And, to be fair, some of us also are laughing at some people who attack Obama at any opportunity.

It's not like Obama pulled a Napoleon Bonaparte, and crowned himself Nobel Prize winner. Someone else gave it to him. His response to this has been remarkably gracious - "I don't think I deserve this, I think of it more as an affirmation of everyting that America has done or tried to do as a world peacekeeper, and I'm going to accept it on that basis..."

Hard to see how you can criticize Obama for that.

Nobody is really doing that, they are questioning the selection of him with the argument of what has he done? Their beef is with the voters not Barack (unless I missed some posts).

Archived