Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

DarrellsMyHero28

It's not like Obama pulled a Napoleon Bonaparte, and crowned himself Nobel Prize winner. Someone else gave it to him. His response to this has been remarkably gracious - "I don't think I deserve this, I think of it more as an affirmation of everyting that America has done or tried to do as a world peacekeeper, and I'm going to accept it on that basis..."

Hard to see how you can criticize Obama for that.

Pretty much. This isn't about Obama crowning himself, if anyone wants to be pissed about this, they should be pissed at the committee.

I thought his reaction to this whole thing has been very humble and gracious thus far.

Not going to stop me from joking about the Nobel prize in general, but I have no problem with Obama over this whole thing, I don't see how anyone really could. :whoknows:

The anti-Americanism in this thread is astounding. It's like people want the US to fail or something. Come on the President of the United States just got global accolades.

Why do you hate freedom :)

There are a lot of American Taliban here, apparently. :hysterical:

Letsrun.com is a runners message board that often has some great threads and folks with a nice turn of phrase.

In the thread discussing this award, one poster wrote:

"Clearly he won it for his efforts to keep that deranged skank from Alaska out of the White House. And I think it's well-deserved on that accomplishment alone."

They don't seem to think so. Seriously, the rest of the world is very happy with Obama.

Again, I'm not saying that he deserves this prize, but he has made a huge difference in world opinion about the USA. At least be honest about that.

A public opinion poll is NOT his peers in any honest:) measure..Which if you are honest is what I questioned:pokeye:

But then maybe you consider him simply another citizen.

I certainly agree he is popular in world opinion now,though we shall see in 4-8 yrs whether they fall off the wagon like so many have here already;)

On the other hand perhaps he will have earned a Nobel or three by then by acts.

Certainly his French peer has been less than complimentary,but then who really cares

And, to be fair, some of us also are laughing at some people who attack Obama at any opportunity.

It's not like Obama pulled a Napoleon Bonaparte, and crowned himself Nobel Prize winner. Someone else gave it to him. His response to this has been remarkably gracious - "I don't think I deserve this, I think of it more as an affirmation of everyting that America has done or tried to do as a world peacekeeper, and I'm going to accept it on that basis..."

Hard to see how you can criticize Obama for that.

Its embarassing that Americans get pissed off when an American wins the Nobel Peace Prize.
I may have come in late, but I haven't seen people mad at obama for winning, it seems mostly people are confused as to what exactly he's done to deserve it over every single other person in the world.

what Packer said- some people ask a question, baffeled at the decision and then get attacked for being angry and pissed off? Whose pissed off? not me.

here's another reason I'm confused:Only two other sitting presidents, Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 and Woodrow Wilson in 1919, have been awarded the prestigious Peace Prize. Roosevelt was honored largely for brokering an agreement between Russia and China, and Wilson took the award for his role in ending World War I and creating the League of Nations.

I also found out they voted on this award in February! now I'm even more confused. What did he do in a months time? I guess it just furthers the belief that this whole prize is a joke:whoknows:

I remember a year not so long ago that Chris Samuels was voted into the Pro Bowl. Now, throughout the season, most ESers had been noting how he had an off year, that his play was down, and he'd made a number of really crucial mistakes. Yet, when it was announced he made it... people put aside their bafflement and they cheered because one of their own made it. In fact, I don't remember a thread denouncing Chris Samuels making the Probowl or such a wide assortment of people jeering the fact that he got in.

There are a couple of interesting things going on this thread. There's some honest confusion and disagreement. There's some subtle sneering and booing. And there's some serious drama queening going on.

If you ask me or refer to my earlier quotes in this thread, I don't think the Nobel panel made the best choice this year. It's a head scratcher. At the same time, sometimes people from a distance see things that we don't. Maybe we're too close to the subject. Maybe there was something that was so fundamentally world changing in his trip to Europe and his words of friendship and unity that it altered an entire diplomatic dynamic. Maybe the world changed. I don't see it, but it's not impossible and if you couple that with the Russian anti-proliferation stuff he got signed... well maybe... Still, fundamentally, one of our guys made it to the show. Sure, you like to the boo the 'skins at Fed Ex too, but it's a bad habit.

This is a kind of cool thing for the U.S. Public relations-wise it certainly doesn't hurt. It's a nice laurel leaf. So, scratch your head, but also cheer for the U.S. and our President.

I also found out they voted on this award in February! now I'm even more confused. What did he do in a months time? I guess it just furthers the belief that this whole prize is a joke:whoknows:

No they didn't vote on it in February.

The many, many nominations come in in February. Lyndon LaRouche, Glenn Beck and Jesse Jackson probably got one too.

The committee evaluates the nominees throughout the summer, before voting in October. So it is for what he has done this whole year.

He still doesn't deserve it, but that needs to be clarified.

I remember a year not so long ago that Chris Samuels was voted into the Pro Bowl. Now, throughout the season, most ESers had been noting how he had an off year, that his play was down, and he'd made a number of really crucial mistakes. Yet, when it was announced he made it... people put aside their bafflement and they cheered because one of their own made it. In fact, I don't remember a thread denouncing Chris Samuels making the Probowl or such a wide assortment of people jeering the fact that he got in.

There are a couple of interesting things going on this thread. There's some honest confusion and disagreement. There's some subtle sneering and booing. And there's some serious drama queening going on.

If you ask me or refer to my earlier quotes in this thread, I don't think the Nobel panel made the best choice this year. It's a head scratcher. At the same time, sometimes people from a distance see things that we don't. Maybe we're too close to the subject. Maybe there was something that was so fundamentally world changing in his trip to Europe and his words of friendship and unity that it altered an entire diplomatic dynamic. Maybe the world changed. I don't see it, but it's not impossible and if you couple that with the Russian anti-proliferation stuff he got signed... well maybe... Still, fundamentally, one of our guys made it to the show. Sure, you like to the boo the 'skins at Fed Ex too, but it's a bad habit.

This is a kind of cool thing for the U.S. Public relations-wise it certainly doesn't hurt. It's a nice laurel leaf. So, scratch your head, but also cheer for the U.S. and our President.

I think that about says it, pack up the kids and let this one fade off the bottom of the page.

This is bad for Obama. I don't blame him at all, but this is a cross he'll have to bear for the rest of his presidency.

It also feeds into the criticism that he is all style and no substance, in the most absurd way imaginable.

The only people who are happy about this are the most extreme Obama kool-aid drinkers. I guarantee you this is one headache Obama wishes he could have avoided. The thoughtful left-winger should be mad as hell that the Nobel folks just made their golden boy look even more pompous and heaped this unnecessary burden onto his shoulders.

This is bad for Obama. I don't blame him at all, but this is a cross he'll have to bear for the rest of his presidency.

Why would this be a cross? This is a laurel leaf. If you hear that there is going to be a Pulitzer Prize winner giving a reader of his latest book, you don't skoff. Most people won't even remember what the book he won it was or was about, but the fact that he won it makes him a person of greater stature. This will be true for Obama too. It's an incredible thing to have on your resume. It increases his standing in the world.

There's really nothing bad in this. It's just a cool thing for the trophy case and it's an extra prestigious title.

Mir Hossein Mousavi was more wirthy of the award because of his opposition to the Irian leaders, IMO. But thinking of this, its just an award. Eventually the world will proclaim as god and then dogs & cats will be living together, mast hysteria will follow.

Show me my bunker.

Why would this be a cross? This is a laurel leaf. If you hear that there is going to be a Pulitzer Prize winner giving a reader of his latest book, you don't skoff. Most people won't even remember what the book he won it was or was about, but the fact that he won it makes him a person of greater stature. This will be true for Obama too. It's an incredible thing to have on your resume. It increases his standing in the world.

There's really nothing bad in this. It's just a cool thing for the trophy case and it's an extra prestigious title.

It's a cross because it's undeserved, as Obama himself said. He now has to go out and try to earn it. It just sets him up for intense mockery if he fails to live up to the high expectations set by a premature award ceremony. It's just like the mission accomplished thing for Bush. But Obama didn't put himself in a position to look stupid, somebody else put him there.

You know your life is awesome when winning the Nobel Peace Prize with a $1.4 million prize is a "cross to bear."

God I want that life! Some people have to bear the cross of being a former criminal, recovering drug addict, proving for a family during hard economic times......others must bear the cross of being honored by a group of Norwegians and get **** loads of money. :hysterical:

You know your life is awesome when winning the Nobel Peace Prize with a $1.4 million prize is a "cross to bear."

God I want that life! Some people have to bear the cross of being a former criminal, recovering drug addict, proving for a family during hard economic times......others must bear the cross of being honored by a group of Norwegians and get **** loads of money. :hysterical:

And getting to land on an aircraft carrier with a huge mission accomplished banner behind you and speaking to crowd of adoring soldiers must have been pretty cool for Bush too. But we all know how that turned out don't we?

Well, I heard a community organizer who knew Obama back in the Alinsky days make that same point in my class this morning, so apparently I'm not the only one that sees it.

I just don't see how Obama has any less substance today than yesterday. Whether other people are willing to give him awards does not in any way make him vain or superficical. The only thing that reflects on him is his acceptance speech.

And getting to land on an aircraft carrier with a huge mission accomplished banner behind you and speaking to crowd of adoring soldiers must have been pretty cool for Bush too. But we all know how that turned out don't we?

Oh trust me, I get your point. And I agree with you 100% that it now puts expectations on him internationally for the rest of his time in office. My comment was not in disagreement.

My point was just that your life is pretty ****ing sweet when winning the Nobel Prize and 1.4 million dollars in a bad day and a cross to bear........

Archived