Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

DarrellsMyHero28

I just don't see how Obama has any less substance today than yesterday. Whether other people are willing to give him awards does not in any way make him vain or superficical. The only thing that reflects on him is his acceptance speech.

I'm not saying this as an indictment on Obama. Like I said, he did nothing to bring this on himself. I'm just saying it fans the flames for the people who do feel that way, in a very big way.

I'm not saying this as an indictment on Obama. Like I said, he did nothing to bring this on himself. I'm just saying it fans the flames for the people who do feel that way, in a very big way.

ok I see what you saying, but for the record, the people that feel that way are dumb

ok I see what you saying, but for the record, the people that feel that way are dumb

Fair enough. But I get the sense that that feeling is starting to creep up among liberals and moderates as well (see the SNL Obama skit), so I don't think you're talking about just conservatives when you say that those people are dumb.

This entire thing. And all the other meaninless, petty bull****ting around all boil down to one thing. And I'll put it in to terms that your can understand:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You're happy we didn't win the olympics? You're mad that our President won the Nobel Peace Prize? Seriously, you hate America that much?

No, of course you don't, you just hate the popular kid in school. You can't stand that all the girls like him. You can't stand that he's taller than you. You can't stand that he gets good grades. Get over your inferiority complex you petty 12 year old.

And get back to what matters. There are plenty of issues which he needs to be challenged on. Real issues. Health care, the economy, the war. Take aim at the real stuff, not this petty 8th grade school yard crap.

I will. almost one year in office and he's done jack squat!! He hasn't even filled all of the key offices. What he has done is appease everyone else around the world while putting down america. Not a good thing when you represent who you are putting down.

He's spend way too much time on tv talking for hours trying to fleece the american people who just aren't buying it. In short he hasn't done a thing. He's winging it. he's doesn't know what he's doing and it clearly shows. how's that??

This entire thing. And all the other meaninless, petty bull****ting around all boil down to one thing. And I'll put it in to terms that your can understand:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You're happy we didn't win the olympics? You're mad that our President won the Nobel Peace Prize? Seriously, you hate America that much?

No, of course you don't, you just hate the popular kid in school. You can't stand that all the girls like him. You can't stand that he's taller than you. You can't stand that he gets good grades. Get over your inferiority complex you petty 12 year old.

And get back to what matters. There are plenty of issues which he needs to be challenged on. Real issues. Health care, the economy, the war. Take aim at the real stuff, not this petty 8th grade school yard crap.

I still have to see evidence behind the committees decision making process, between now and then.

Here is the thing: the uproar from many people is not based upon this. If anything, it is the factor that Obama won. Period. Similar to the applause on the Right when Obama tried to secure the Olympics for Chicago and failed.

Nah, I'd disagree personally. It's not that he won, it's that by giving it to him it made this award a meaningless honor. and makes us look really bad that some guy who made a speech(nothing more) got some prestigeous award. for what?? He's done nothing to deserve it.

It reminds me of the episode of Sienfeld where Kramer comes walking in with a tony award. No one was there to accept it, so he walked up on stage and accepted for that person and now he is keeping it.

I will. almost one year in office and he's done jack squat!! He hasn't even filled all of the key offices. What he has done is appease everyone else around the world while putting down america. Not a good thing when you represent who you are putting down.

He's spend way too much time on tv talking for hours trying to fleece the american people who just aren't buying it. In short he hasn't done a thing. He's winging it. he's doesn't know what he's doing and it clearly shows. how's that??

You are entitled to your opinion, but I for one am proud that our president was recognized by this award -- even though I will admit that it is probably somewhat premature.

Nah, I'd disagree personally. It's not that he won, it's that by giving it to him it made this award a meaningless honor. and makes us look really bad that some guy who made a speech(nothing more) got some prestigeous award. for what?? He's done nothing to deserve it.

And what does it tell you that a guy who did some talking got a Nobel? To simply dismiss the Nobel peace prize as a farce is I think naive. What it tells me is that things were SO bad prior to Obama, that even the smallest incling of respect and engagement made the international community jump for joy. If anything, this is an indictment of the previous administration. That this guy gets a Nobel for just being nice.

What other explanation could there be?

And what does it tell you that a guy who did some talking got a Nobel? To simply dismiss the Nobel peace prize as a farce is I think naive. What it tells me is that things were SO bad prior to Obama, that even the smallest incling of respect and engagement made the international community jump for joy. If anything, this is an endightment of the previous administration. That this guy geets a Nobel for just being nice.

What other explanation could there be?

That they gave it to him because it's transformed into a global popularity contest and really has no practical meaning to the peace process or to the folks that actually had an impact on building peace globally?

That they gave it to him because it's transformed into a global popularity contest and really has no practical meaning to the peace process or to the folks that actually had an impact on building peace globally?

I can't tell if that's an endorsement of an indictment. I for one am happy to have a leader who is respected by the world and can win a "global popularity contest". Aren't you? All else being equal, you'd rather have a leader who everyone hates? Help me understand.

I can't tell if that's an endorsement of an indictment. I for one am happy to have a leader who is respected by the world and can win a "global popularity contest". Aren't you? All else being equal, you'd rather have a leader who everyone hates? Help me understand.

I think someone has this quote in their sig around here, but I could be wrong.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”~ Winston Churchill

Frankly, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks of our president. If the president is what our country needs, then that is all I care about.

I think someone has this quote in their sig around here, but I could be wrong.

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”~ Winston Churchill

I think we can both come up with cliche to "support" either side of the stick / carrot debate. Got anything else?

Frankly, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks of our president. If the president is what our country needs, then that is all I care about.

I think that's a naive attitude. And not because I think there's some intrinsic value in making people like us just for the sake of it. But because I think we can more effectively influence events if we have a good mix of popularity, respect, and power.

I'd most want a leader who actually did something worthy of the formerly prestigious award.

I think that's a naive attitude. And not because I think there's some intrinsic value in making people like us just for the sake of it. But because I think we can more effectively influence events if we have a good mix of popularity, respect, and power.

I don't feel the need to influence the rest of the world. Let them do their own thing and we'll do our own thing.

I think we can both come up with cliche to "support" either side of the stick / carrot debate. Got anything else?

I think a quote from one of the great world leaders ever is much more than a cliche. He obviously had something going for him.

I think a quote from one of the great world leaders ever is much more than a cliche. He obviously had something going for him.

Don't disagree. Where I diverge is in thinking that you'd need ALL stick, and no carrot. I think there's a place for both. And having some popularity can't hurt when it comes time to use your influence in that way.

Don't disagree. Where I diverge is in thinking that you'd need ALL stick, and no carrot. I think there's a place for both. And having some popularity can't hurt when it comes time to use your influence in that way.

I'd be fine with a popular president if that popularity hadn't come from a world apology tour. I'm not angry Obama won or anything, however, he didn't deserve it in my opinion. Just seems kind of fake.

Archived