Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

DarrellsMyHero28

This is one big red herring you are trying to present here.
The easy way for Obama to prove he won't be influenced by an award he doesn't deserve....is not to accept it

He accepts it.....as a call to arms (or maybe a call to disarm?)

Thanks Obama for letting another country set the agenda in the USA

Can't wait for Obama Peace Tour 2010 Brought to you by Norway

Is there evidence of it....no

Does he care about how popular he is abroad?.....you betcha

I would liken it to, should I say....Lobbyists

Just because a politician accepts donations....doesn't prove it influenced his decision.......Does It?

Ok, your argument has merit. Its a possibility. I just don't see Obama selling out what's best for the U.S., to be popular in Europe. And why would he? What would be his motivation to do so?

As I said earlier,the prize could pressure him in pursuing peace in pacifist role

Or he can use the extra status as cover in forcing peace thru force of arms.

In the end the choice is his...just as it was before.

You can read his acceptance statement either way.

Still think it's a joke:)

OSLO, October 9 – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – In an update, the Nobel Peace Prize Committee has announced they have rescinded their awarding of this year’s prize to United States President Barack H. Obama. The Committee took this action in responding to criticism that their website states the deadline for Peace Prize nominations was February 1, 2009, which gave Obama less than two weeks in office before being nominated. Accordingly, the Committee has decided to give the award to its runner-up –

US Representative Charles Rangel of New York.:hysterical:

http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2009/10/09/nobel-committee-rescinds-peace-prize-to-obama-gives-award-to-runner-up/

Some people are saying that he got this as an anti-Bush award, but I think that's overly simplistic, even though the contrast is obvious.

Still, despite what everyone's saying about him still needing to earn it, I actually believe this award is an endorsement for his existing policy stances. These include non-confrontational stances with Iran, Afghanistan, North Korea and Honduras after their coup. He's also called out Israel on settlements, ended our missle defense in Poland, said some nice things about Cuba and given a lot of lip service to closing Guantanomo.

In each case, he's move America to positions more favorable for dictators or terrorists. I'm just saying. The nobel committee wants to award pacifists. It doesn't believe in peace through stregnth. Obama is very Jimmy Carter-esque (who also won this award).

Note, Ronald Reagan never won the award.

This is why the Nobel Peace BRIBE ....oh I mean Prize should be given after the fact

When does Obama get the keys to the UN?

It opens us up to Foreign influence

Sorry

He is President of the US....not Chief UN PR Speechmaker

Its BS he gets something for nothing besides appologizing

What he does with it might make things worse

Remind me what Obama DID again?

Except a Prize he admited he didn't deserve

Thank You.

That's the kind of foaming at the loony right-wing mouth that I expected this thread to have in it. Well done.

This makes no sense -- come again?

Having fun with me? By lying about what I said? LOL. That isn't having "fun with me" -- that is just being trollish. I know when I joke around with people: I am not a newbie to this board, my friend.

Been gone for 8 hours otherwise this response would have come sooner.

Lying about what you said? post 218 -

Have you been ignoring the news over the last eight months?

post 232

Go back a few pages and read, or catch up on foreign affairs.

my post

Haven't you been watching the news for the past 8 months? You need read some more and learn about foreign policy. LOL

Who did Obama beat to win his Nobel Prize?

Sima Samar, women’s rights activist in Afghanistan: “With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Women’s Affairs.”

Ingrid Betancourt: French-Colombian ex-hostage held for six years.

Dr. Denis Mukwege: Doctor, founder and head of Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has dedicated his life to helping Congolese women and girls who are victims of gang rape and brutal sexual violence.

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition: “These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon.”

Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for ‘inciting subversion of state power.’

Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China’s communist system. He now lives in the United States.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I for one am proud that our president was recognized by this award -- even though I will admit that it is probably somewhat premature.

Really, it's my opinion that he hasn't done anything since he's been in office?? ok, name at least 2, that would be significant enough to get him this award??

I do not agree with Baculus's underlying position in this discussion, but I gotta tell you guys -

you are putting words in his mouth and then attacking him for those words that he never said. It's kind of sad.

Predicto I most certainly did not put words into Baculus's mouth. I did paraphrase though and accurately.

Have you been ignoring the news over the last eight months?
post 218
Go back a few pages and read, or catch up on foreign affairs.
post 232
Haven't you been watching the news for the past 8 months? You need read some more and learn about foreign policy. LOL

He consistantly set himself up in this thread so I and others hung him on his own petard.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I for one am proud that our president was recognized by this award -- even though I will admit that it is probably somewhat premature.
And what does it tell you that a guy who did some talking got a Nobel? To simply dismiss the Nobel peace prize as a farce is I think naive. What it tells me is that things were SO bad prior to Obama, that even the smallest incling of respect and engagement made the international community jump for joy. If anything, this is an indictment of the previous administration. That this guy gets a Nobel for just being nice.

What other explanation could there be?

Oh, I don't know maybe because the rest of the world are a petty bunch of petulant babies. Maybe it shows how infantile they really are that they would bestow such a prestigous award on someone who hasn't done anything in order to thumb their noses at our last president.

I will give you that he has been groveling to the world community at our nations dismay, but is that really good enough to win this award??

I can't tell if that's an endorsement of an indictment. I for one am happy to have a leader who is respected by the world and can win a "global popularity contest". Aren't you? All else being equal, you'd rather have a leader who everyone hates? Help me understand.

The people he has tried to impress aren't really in my book as important. He's sided with the palestinians and treated the isrealis as children. He's tried to win over the muslim world. For what?? I wasn't aware that we have pissed off the peaceful muslims I thought it was the muslim extremeists that we had a problem with, so why try to appease the peaceful ones??

IMO if our president is popular with everyone, we have issues.

I can't tell if that's an endorsement of an indictment. I for one am happy to have a leader who is respected by the world and can win a "global popularity contest". Aren't you? All else being equal, you'd rather have a leader who everyone hates? Help me understand.
Doesn't have to be since he's been in office.

Ok name anything than?? That would be worthy of this award in the world communities eyes?

When searching Google to find out how much money the Nobel Peace Prize is (1.4 million I found otu), I just read that Obama is giving all of it to charity. That is pretty cool.

Not sure he is allowed to give it to charity. I believe that $1.4 mil is property of the US Government.

Maybe Bush should've gotten it for all the great work he's done' the last 8 years.

Ironically Bush is more deserving, I am not advocating that he should have got it or is even deserving of the award just that his African policies did at least give him an accomplishment that one would think could be considered.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

[GAAAAAAAASP]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

holy **** that was funny.

How so? Again I'm not saying Bush deserves the award what I'm saying is Bush had at least one accomplishment that one could consider Award worthy. Which is one more than Obama. Reading comprehension problems?

Really, it's my opinion that he hasn't done anything since he's been in office?? ok, name at least 2, that would be significant enough to get him this award??

Openly changing US policy in front of the UN.

His speech in Egypt.

His nuclear disarmament with Russia.

His winning effects on racism.

Archived