Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, spjunkies said:

There was nothing good about that opinion piece written by a biased fan who is upset about the change. 

This shift in branding could very well be lead by the guy he's pointing the finger at. Nobody but those in the building knows. 

I guess the same could be said about most of the posts on ES - yours and mine included.;)

I thought it entertaining.

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
Sp
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Dan Quinn wearing that shirt is a nightmare because all it's going to do is bring back everyone swearing the Redskins name is coming back. It's not. Although I'd definitely be up for a mix of the old uniform with the new helmet. 

I sorta agree with you but it’s also creating alot of buzz which Harris and Co can definitely see, which hopefully means changes to the current uni/logo

• Like 2

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/07/commanders-jersey-sales-nfl-shop-jayden-daniels/

Should be proof that a rebrand is coming...

When you rebrand, it’s supposed to give you momentum. That means selling more t-shirts, hats, and jerseys with the new name and logo. That hasn’t been the case for the Washington Commanders.

The Commanders changed their name from the generic moniker “Football Team” in Feb. 2022. Fans have been slow to embrace the new name, with many focused on other positives, such as Dan Snyder no longer owning the team. However, for a large portion of Washington’s fan base, the name debate is not going away.

When Josh Harris and his partners bought the team last July, none denied another potential rebranding, but pointing out that it wasn’t an immediate focus.

Now, there are some numbers to support fans who still haven’t come around to the name. According to Josh Koebert of Finance Buzz, only three NFL fanbases spend less on merchandise than the Commanders.

The NFL league-wide average per team is $144.45 — Washington fans spend an average of $80.87 annually on team merchandise.

There are multiple reasons for these numbers. First, whether some want to admit it or not, it is the name change. Secondly, some hate the jerseys. A portion of the fan base could get used to the name if the team had kept the previous jerseys. Finally, there’s also the lack of a superstar player. Of course, the Commanders could have that now with rookie quarterback Jayden Daniels.

The team has yet to announce Daniels’ official number, but when it does, jersey sales will likely increase.

Harris and his partners have done everything to improve the team. Now, the team needs to win on the field and Daniels is a big part of the future. If the Commanders win, will the merchandise sales rise? That’s something to watch throughout the season.

When Robert Griffin III had his amazing rookie season in 2012, his jerseys were flying off the shelves. The same could happen with Daniels, but Griffin still played for the Redskins, which will matter to some fans.

• Like 1

I've seen more Commanders merch around recently compared to when the rebranding first launched. However, it's still nothing compared to a decade ago when you still saw Redskins stuff everywhere.

That said, even the last years of the Redskins seemed like a steep decline in terms of people wearing the merch or having bumper stickers on their cars etc. Winning sells merch, of course.

Better uniforms would probably help sell a little more merch, but I'm guessing the Harris group knows that it's more of a last step than a first one. First, fix the team, then fix the stadium.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, profusion said:

I've seen more Commanders merch around recently compared to when the rebranding first launched. However, it's still nothing compared to a decade ago when you still saw Redskins stuff everywhere.

That said, even the last years of the Redskins seemed like a steep decline in terms of people wearing the merch or having bumper stickers on their cars etc. Winning sells merch, of course.

Better uniforms would probably help sell a little more merch, but I'm guessing the Harris group knows that it's more of a last step than a first one. First, fix the team, then fix the stadium.

The Dan Snyder effect sucked the life out of fans. Thank goodness the times they are a changing!!!

Star players and well run organization top to bottom....whether they stick with the name Commanders or not, the merch will be flying off the shelves

Edited by DWinzit

18 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

There are multiple reasons for these numbers. First, whether some want to admit it or not, it is the name change. Secondly, some hate the jerseys. A portion of the fan base could get used to the name if the team had kept the previous jerseys. Finally, there’s also the lack of a superstar player. Of course, the Commanders could have that now with rookie quarterback Jayden Daniels.

If Jayden Daniels takes off, and they start winning, jerseys and other merchandise will take off as well.  Look at how well Brady jerseys and Mahomes jerseys have sold over the years...and those are two uniforms that typically aren't considered "great"uniforms, especially New England's...

Win, and the stulff will sell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkinsFanPA said:

If Jayden Daniels takes off, and they start winning, jerseys and other merchandise will take off as well.  Look at how well Brady jerseys and Mahomes jerseys have sold over the years...and those are two uniforms that typically aren't considered "great"uniforms, especially New England's...

Win, and the stulff will sell.

Of course winning will sell jerseys, but not nearly as many as they would with a better name. We can go 17-0 and I will still never buy a jersey with the C name! Not a T-shirt either. Not a hat, not a hoodie, nothing. I won’t even buy a pair of socks with that name on it. Somebody please let Josh Harris know thanks!

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Keep in mind that it's very easy to touch on politics on this matter, and that's an eternal and serious no no. I just removed such a post from viewing.

You may have to work at it to make sure you abide by the rule that no sociopolitical or political content is in your post, inc. any article you're quoting, but the alternative is a potential temp ban. 🥺

We don't want that. Thanks for helping us on this.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Keep in mind that it's very easy to touch on politics on this matter, and that's an eternal and serious no no. I just removed such a post from viewing.

You may have to work at it to make sure you abide by the rule that no sociopolitical or political content is in your post, inc. any article you're quoting, but the alternative is a potential temp ban. 🥺

We don't want that. Thanks for helping us on this.  

I had to stop myself earlier from responding to a post on this subject because I knew I'd be flying way over the line lol.

Anyway, coach did a fantastic job smacking down the shirt subject today. Moving on!

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Our uniforms stink. They are just horrid.

I don't mind the red and yellow but the white and red and the black and yellow are awful. We aren't the freaking Cardinals or Steelers.

I miss our old burgundy and gold though. They were just classicly beautiful and looked and felt like an NFL team.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 3

7 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

We are burgundy and gold. Period. That ain't hard to comprehend or do. But for JW, with the absurd knock-off Steelers black jerseys.....hey......whatever. I'm a purist, man.

Those uniforms were designed by Daniel's wife, the former fashion designer. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Credit to Quinn on the back end. He handled damage control about as well as one could.

Basically said "I learned my lesson" and moved it along.

He could have made the situation a lot worse, but he didn't. I'm sure somebody was in his ear over the weekend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skinzplay said:

I agree, it would be great if new ownership focused on fixing the uniforms asap over changing the name, if that's on the agenda. New uniforms shouldn't be too hard to drum up before the season.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I agree, it would be great if new ownership focused on fixing the uniforms asap over changing the name, if that's on the agenda. New uniforms shouldn't be too hard to drum up before the season.

I think the league has strict rules regarding uniform changes. Hopefully we can make adjustments for the 2025 season. 

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I think the league has strict rules regarding uniform changes. Hopefully we can make adjustments for the 2025 season. 

I’m sure they do, but they didn’t care to enforce any of that in 2020 when in July “Redskins” changed to “Football Team”.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Commander Chaaarmnder said:

I’m sure they do, but they didn’t care to enforce any of that in 2020 when in July “Redskins” changed to “Football Team”.

Laymen understanding is the "5 year rule".

The NFL did care about what we did but you can file for exemptions w/ the Commish, which we did, to change our name/merch from "Redskins" --> "WFT" and "WFT" --> "Commanders" in a span of 2 years which is normally not allowed.

Edited by FootballZombie

10 hours ago, spjunkies said:

You would think the league would give the new owners in Washington a little latitude if they asked to change up the old Snyder uniforms?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, skinzplay said:

From head to toe.  I want to throw up every time I see our helmet.  It's the most cheap-looking logo and helmet in the league.  Like some kid took a crap silk/matte looking helmet and stuck some orange/yellow electrical tape on it from the basement.  It doesn't look professional in the least.  It's soft as ****.

And our actual uniforms are an utter disgrace.  

Even if they end up keeping the terrible Commanders name, they absolutely have to come up with a head-to-toe makeover.  Keep the logo for the tv ticker and polo shirts.  That's fine.  Otherwise, toss it all and burn it all.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1