Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

Thought this was interesting, a one-to-two year process, as in that's minimum amount of time needed to process any Jersey and/or logo/color changes (two years for the latter). 

Although I think I read somewhere that a new ownership is given more leeway to make a change, not sure how that would affect Washington, however.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sinews said:

Thought this was interesting, a one-to-two year process, as in that's minimum amount of time needed to process any Jersey and/or logo/color changes (two years for the latter). 

Although I think I read somewhere that a new ownership is given more leeway to make a change, not sure how that would affect Washington, however.

Important to point out that the NFL is very good at keeping a lid on this.

Sure there are leaks when a new unis for a team are a month or so out, but the actual work to reach that said point has been going for a year or two beforehand. Unless a team itself comes out in advance and says it themselves, we are usually in the dark for the vast majority of the process.

The NFL has set dates for teams to reach various milestones (interest, trademarks, basic designs, TV testing) and while these exact dates are laid out in the bylaws, we rarely if ever know what teams are participating.

All the teams who are gonna roll out new helmets/jerseys in 2025 for example are already working w/ the NFL to make that happen. We just don't know who they are cuz the NFL is smart enough not to tank its own sales.

***Ignoring exemptions, which Wash probably has access too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So it sounds like *in theory* we could see reverted, or otherwise "fixed" unis ready for the 2025 season, regardless of team name (and assuming one of the exemptions for new ownership is they don't have to wait five years). 

However, it would seem more prudent and likely that the HOG wait until a full logo/rebrand is ready to roll out, which would most likely be some time after the '25 season. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 3:07 PM, bentskin said:

While I was / am looking forward to a rebrand I did expect it to be more refresh and less rebrand like we got. Be careful what you wish for? No kidding.

I was hoping to see them go back to a more 60's style and coloring, I thought that made sense. Anyway, as bad and horrid as the new unis are I really dont understand why they cant or wont simply use this, actually the '20-'22 version with WASHINGTON on the front so as to offend with the current helmet. It is already authorized as a throwback and would appease practically all of the fan base until a permanent solution can be redesigned. And give us more W only gear since most dont want to acknowledge the C word. 

Tongue in cheek - Cleveland can be the Browns, can Washington be the Wetzels and return to the old logo? 

Personally, if the old logo were to make a return about the only name that could work is Warriors but I stilll think Redwolves is the best second choice. Sentinels works for me if they would go all in with a Spartan style spear on the helmet a la 60's unis replacing the feather with a yellow ribbon. 

I have also seen a really nice Michigan Wolverine style helmet that would work with any name that I could get behind. It looks more like a W wrapped over the helmet with a spear / arrow head "ghosted" in on the front. 

If Kraken and Valkyrie are acceptable are we opposed to Werewolves? Not better than Redwolves in my opinion but if there is serious opposition to using the word Red in the name it certainly solves that problem while keeping the wolves theme in tact. 

Bryan Flynn @brydfly

image.png.dd0046f3d1e08a04f64d601da3058089.png    

Did this right quick. Would look better with more time on a better model, but it gives you an idea. pic.twitter.com/RYv2GxqZlf

— Bryan Flynn (@brydfly) April 25, 2024

HTTR

You said bro, I can't even begin to understand why would anyone mess with the color combination we already had.

It just looks so damn good. 

NO ONE wanted to change in colors or design (logo and names are another subject). It was a mistake and the current front office should take note.

Bring back the unis Josh!

The current combo was so bad I ended up buying a baseball jersey with Daniels on the back for 30 dollars.

I've been looking more into these custom jerseys and they get up there (40-50) which is why I won't buy them as much anymore, but they aren't 100+ like the replicas.

Has anyone even bothered to buy a Daniels replica jersey from Fanatics yet?

On 5/20/2024 at 6:07 PM, Redwards said:

The "W" on the helmet is as soft, cheap and lame as a logo can possibly get.  

I agree.  The two-tone W that they put on hats, shirts, etc is a MUCH better option...

Commanders w.jpg

• Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, El Mexican said:

For a moment there I thought I saw a taco holder LOL

You're not crazy...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnCpqg2OzmEkIgnN_8h

In fact, that's what many here on this board initially thought of when it was rolled out! But that's what happens when the owner lets his wife design the identity of the team...

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2

It absolutely blows my mind how the new ownership is letting the name, logo, and uniforms continue as is.  Not a priority for them!?

Do they know what being a fan of something means?  Why fans purchase team apparel? How fans can stay loyal and proud, even when losing?

I get the need to start winning, it is why the game is played.  The focus should be creating the right team and organization as they are attempting to do.

A multi-billion dollar organization can do more than one thing at a time though.

A plan should already be in place and communicated to the fans.  The fact that there is nothing is worrisome.  No sense of urgency or even acknowledgment.  
I live in Virginia, there are many more fans of other teams here, especially the more south you go and towards Hampton Roads.  I would fit in more as a Cowboys fan.  That should be alarming for the new ownership.

The team lost fans during the past ownership, and then even more after the name change.  Going on four years now without an identity.  That is a lot to make up for.

The fans have been and continue to be very disgruntled and vocal about all of this...and nothing has been said or done.  Is the new ownership going to ignore the fanbase too?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, N0430BM said:

No sense of urgency or even acknowledgment.

It's been a few months, but Magic was asked about a name change and his reply was, "Everything's on the table"

Not exactly a ringing endorsement...but, he also didn't just shut it down.

My assumption would be that the ownership group knew this question would come up and discussed how it should have a somewhat open-ended answer. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4710094/2023/07/21/commanders-name-change-purchase/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N0430BM said:

It absolutely blows my mind how the new ownership is letting the name, logo, and uniforms continue as is.  Not a priority for them!?

They legally can't change anything about the name or logo right now....it's an actual branding law in place that all teams have to follow.   They are required to keep this brand for a specific period of time, then once that time has expired,   expect changes.  

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

They legally can't change anything about the name or logo right now....it's an actual branding law in place that all teams have to follow.   They are required to keep this brand for a specific period of time, then once that time has expired,   expect changes.  

It's usually five years, but the NFL allows an exception in cases where the ownership changes. I think HOG wants to get it right and maybe they'll focus on that more now that the draft's over. Harris is not stupid and he must have seen that report showing the 'Manders ranked #31 in merchandise sales out of 32 teams.

It's possible that Quinn's t-shirt FUBAR from a couple weeks ago was no accident, either. HOG may be testing the waters for bringing back the old uniforms and logo, if not the name itself.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It's usually five years, but the NFL allows an exception in cases where the ownership changes. I think HOG wants to get it right and maybe they'll focus on that more now that the draft's over. Harris is not stupid and he must have seen that report showing the 'Manders ranked #31 in merchandise sales out of 32 teams.

It's possible they are still waiting for the "exception" to be approved.....the NFL moves at turtle speed when it comes to this stuff.   I have no doubt Josh Harris and company are working on this....they've publicly stated they want to change/address this.  

50 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I will die on this hill that the W logo isn't half bad. They just need to go back to the old uniforms with the updated logo and we're good. But never burgundy on burgundy or white on white. 

I completely agree.  Use the old uniforms with the new logo.  I bet it would look pretty darn good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

I hate the taco holder but I actually thought the numbers on the helmets for WFT looked really cool. Could we somehow combine the old uniforms with the WFT numbers?

Redskins_potential WFT uniform.jpg

• Thumb up 2

6 hours ago, SkinsFanPA said:

Redskins_potential WFT uniform.jpg

Just go back tot hose colors and I'm good. Rebrand the team as WASHINGTON. The city should be the brand. And the fans can come up with their own nicknames, similar to how European soccer teams do it.

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

The W logo by itself doesn't look terrible...if it had been introduced in 1961 or 1962, which is when lettered helmet logos appeared for the Packers, Giants, and Bears.

Yup, the W is fine.  The best part of the rebrand by far.  

Posted (edited)

Most D.C.-area sports fans dislike or hate Commanders’ name, poll finds

Had the opportunity to ask Commanders owner Majorie Harris about the team name:

Well, if this isn't a complete disconnect...

I am guessing that all they really want to do is make money and couldn't care any less about the name.  Support Commanders to bring in merchandise sales.  Hope it catches on to avoid spending money on a change and rebrand.

I wish she was asked specifically about the uniforms and logo.  Changing the name versus the uniforms are two very different processes.  One much easier than the other.

If Commanders stays, then the uniform becomes an even more difficult issue to address.  Do they keep the current, go back to the old, or completely change to something that goes with the name more?

Edited by N0430BM

1 hour ago, N0430BM said:

Most D.C.-area sports fans dislike or hate Commanders’ name, poll finds

Had the opportunity to ask Commanders owner Majorie Harris about the team name:

Well, if this isn't a complete disconnect...

I am guessing that all they really want to do is make money and couldn't care any less about the name.  Support Commanders to bring in merchandise sales.  Hope it catches on to avoid spending money on a change and rebrand.

I wish she was asked specifically about the uniforms and logo.  Changing the name versus the uniforms are two very different processes.  One much easier than the other.

If Commanders stays, then the uniform becomes an even more difficult issue to address.  Do they keep the current, go back to the old, or completely change to something that goes with the name more?

Thanks for posting these.

Poll has 36% of fans liking the name commanders? I’m just not buying that. Maybe a poll of just their readers would come out that way I suppose, I wouldn’t know but I am truly shocked if anywhere near 36% of the team’s fans like the current name.

Worth noting that we’ve seen no such polls or surveys coming from the team. Just Stalling. Pretending they are too busy to deal with it is laughable. Hire a firm to do the survey, takes about a five minute phone call to set that up. And then, unlike the previous ownership, publish the results honestly for the fans to digest.

As for Marjorie Harris, it makes me sick to hear her say that. But not surprising at all, it’s becoming more and more obvious that they plan on doing nothing about the name. At least she’s being honest about it I guess.

3 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

As for Marjorie Harris, it makes me sick to hear her say that. But not surprising at all, it’s becoming more and more obvious that they plan on doing nothing about the name. At least she’s being honest about it I guess.

From the article:

We’re going to look at everything come the end of the year ( last season) and think about a lot of different things and do a lot of testing and see what people think. And we’ll learn. 

I'd like to think they've already started.