Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

It will take a lot more than one sucker punch for me to see McGregor as a sympathetic figure in any way. 

Also, Zubaira Tukhugov, a featherweight with a 3-1 record in the UFC, was one of those involved in the attack on McGregor.  He is scheduled to fight a guy on Conors team later this month. 

Let’em fight!

This is like Bad Boy v Death Row. :ols:

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm curious what Dillon Danis said that sparked it all.

Khabib could have even said something first. After all, he turned in that direction and started pointing as soon as the ref was able to pry him away from jawing at McGregor.

Also- Apparently Conor threw the first in-octagon punch at a member of Khabib's camp. There are certainly no "innocent" sides in this melee. 

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

In khabib's defense, Danis is just an extremely punchable person. 

After rewatching the actual fight a couple of times, Conor really had nothing for Khabib. It was not competitive in the slightest. I scored the 3rd round for Conor, but it wasnt a good round for him. Khabib stood directly in front of him, flat footed and Conor could only score points, no damage.

Kevin Lee beats Conor the same way IMO. I would still pick Conor to beat Ferguson because he starts slow and is hittable early. Ferguson can drown him later, but I think Conor finishes him early

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Danis was trash talking about Khabib all week, saying he is overrated and that he would submit him and etc. 

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

In khabib's defense, Danis is just an extremely punchable person. 

After rewatching the actual fight a couple of times, Conor really had nothing for Khabib. It was not competitive in the slightest. I scored the 3rd round for Conor, but it wasnt a good round for him. Khabib stood directly in front of him, flat footed and Conor could only score points, no damage.

Kevin Lee beats Conor the same way IMO. I would still pick Conor to beat Ferguson because he starts slow and is hittable early. Ferguson can drown him later, but I think Conor finishes him early

Kevin Lee is more hittable than Khabib. He almost got koed by Edson. I think Khabib is stronger and a better version than Lee. 

45 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Danis was trash talking about Khabib all week, saying he is overrated and that he would submit him and etc. 

Kevin Lee is more hittable than Khabib. He almost got koed by Edson. I think Khabib is stronger and a better version than Lee. 

Edson landed a perfect shot on Lee, i was impressed he had the recovery to not be finished. I think Lee might be the one person at 155 who is physically stronger than Khabib, but Khabib is the better grappler. I'm not sure Lee is more hittable overall than Khabib. His overall standup has improved pretty steadily.

They have different entries for their takedown games, but I don't think Lee would have any issue getting Conor to the ground. 

Edited by StillUnknown

6 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Totally agree that Conor never gave Khabib a problem. Not even for a second. I also scored the 3rd for McGregor though.

I am blaming Conor's performance on ring rust but it may prove out that he's no longer motivated because he's rich and accomplished. If that turns out to be the case I don't think he can beat El Cucuy.

1 minute ago, Chachie said:

Totally agree that Conor never gave Khabib a problem. Not even for a second. I also scored the 3rd for McGregor though.

I am blaming Conor's performance on ring rust but it may prove out that he's no longer motivated because he's rich and accomplished. If that turns out to be the case I don't think he can beat El Cucuy.

I'm not so sure its a ring rust thing as opposed to just a style matchup thing. He has weak wrestling and cardio, bad combination. The only real wrestler he faced before Khabib was Chad Mendes who was able to get him down and control him, but gassed himself as a result of good body work from Conor and it being a short notice fight

• Like 1

Khabib took round 3 off, probably to recover some of his own gas tank, however by the time that round took place it was clear that Conor himself was gassed and his punches didn't have any bite to them.  It was still obvious Conor is the better boxer, but Khabib took his shots with little to no effects.  Once he recuperated and the fourth round started, Khabib went right back to work.

Khabib fought smart. He knew all that early grappling would have Conor dead to rights once those later rounds started.   Not that Conor put up any resistance to begin with.  

As far as a rematch?  I could see one happening down the line, but an immediate rematch? It's not justified.  Khabib was the undefeated fighter on a hot streak going into this fight and thoroughly dominated McGregor.  Now you have Ferguson waiting in the wings who beat Pettis.   If the sport is to be taken seriously that is the fight you make next.  (This assumes Khabib is not stripped of the title and/or a long suspension isn't handed down by NSAC).

It's not like this fight was back and forth, nor did anything fluky take place. It was domination.  I am not putting it past Dana White to ignore everything and just do a rematch because of money though. 

CM submitted to a frigging crossface (or facecrank depending on your lingo) not a choke.  I've seen no pictures or video that show a rear naked choke sunk in under the chin.

yes, a crossface is......discomforting but it is in no way a choke.

A rematch after tapping to a crossface?.......book it

**and for the record, I wouldn't have minded seeing CM win.  I don't like commies.

Edited by stoshuaj

I don't think there is any question that the merits dictate that Khabib's next title defense is against Ferguson.  Khabib dominated McGregor and Tony handily beat Showtime, and fans have been waiting for that fight for years.  That will be an amazing fight.  I am more excited for that fight than Saturday's fight.  

The question is whether the UFC wants to milk the last few dollars out of McGregor, now that A LOT of the luster is off of him.  A rematch would, without a doubt, sell a lot of PPVs due to the backstory and b/c CM sells.  It would in all likelihood be another beatdown, but the pre-fight theatrics can't be beat and that will draw in a ton of casual fans.  

I think @NoCalMike nails it.  Khabib/Ferguson is what a legitimate sport would do.  Khabib/McGregor is what a circus would do.  It's probably 50/50 odds though.  I don't even want to contemplate Khabib being stripped of the belt; that would be a terrible outcome.  

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If the sport is to be taken seriously that is the fight you make next.

Agreed.  That's got to be the next fight.  But you know they're going to rematch and take advantage of all of this hype and controversy.  The UFC doesn't even take itself seriously.  They aren't worried about the sporting world doing so.