Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

27 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

wtf did Cejudo roll his ankle twice?

He's got a weird issue with that leg.  He rolled his ankle twice, but they iced his knee.  I don't think I've ever seen that before.

I'd hate to be a judge for this one.  Great fight, three rounds that could go either way. 

Edited by Destino

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

thought we moved beyond meaningless takedowns winning rounds

I didn't think either  fighter really beat the other.  DJ landed more significant kicks, I thought Cejudo landed the "harder" punches several times though again nothing did any real damage.  In situations like that control, aggression, and takes downs can be the difference. 

Great fight though, both guys went after it. 

Id say it's harsh to say Cody has no chin, he was hit with a ton of shots and didn't get "KO'd"

Cody just hasn't fought smart against TJ. Go back and watch his fight against Cruz. He was calm, let the fight come to him, struck when it was prudent, but didn't just charge in.

Not sure if it's possible for him to clear his emotions against this particular opponent.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Id say it's harsh to say Cody has no chin, he was hit with a ton of shots and didn't get "KO'd"

Cody just hasn't fought smart against TJ. Go back and watch his fight against Cruz. He was calm, let the fight come to him, struck when it was prudent, but didn't just charge in.

Not sure if it's possible for him to clear his emotions against this particular opponent.

It hard to fight Cruz any other way though.  He doesn't let you just trade with him, because he has very little power and knows it.  Cruz is also fast enough that trying to cut off the ring and force the action is all but impossible.  Cody was simply fast enough to counter Cruz's style and beat him at his own game.  That's not Cody's style though.  He wants to get in there and finish guys and he's mostly done exactly that in the UFC. 

I don't think he believed TJ could do it him again.  Maybe he bought into the bad back stuff that we heard about as the reason things went wrong.  Education is sometimes a painful experience. 

MMA definitely has to come up with a better way to "score" takedowns, especially when the two guys hit the mat and there is zero damage done once on the ground. I am a fan of grappling, but there's nothing worse then when a guy take his opponent down and it's apparent there is no strategy at that point beyond "hold him here as long as possible to try and win the round"

MMA almost needs to develop it's own scoring system that doesn't necessarily reward fighters for certain things the way an individual discipline does.  For example, in wrestling you get points for takedowns, but then also a point for an escape, however in MMA the fighter only seems to get credit for the takedown and the opponent gets nothing for being able to get right back up or basically prevent any damage from being done while on the ground. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Those 2 reversals DJ had on the ground were ****ing insane. Should have negated the pts from Cejudos takedown, and been scored in favor of DJ.

I'm with you. They were way more impressive than the takedowns themselves.

What about stuffing takedowns vs being taken down?  For example in an MMA fight when an opponent stuffs say the first five takedown attempts, then finally gets taken down, it's almost like it's immediately forgotten that the wrestler only managed to get one take down on six attempts and the 1 successful takedown takes precedence over all the failed attempts. 

As far as Cody goes.  He should just turn the page on TJ for now.  Get him out his mind.  Go back to doing what he did against other opponents and bide his time.  If TJ loses to anyone and doesn't get an immediate rematch, it is possible Cody will have worked his way back up by then.  Cody is sort of in the "can beat everyone, but..." spots, but if the UFC is looking at this from a business stand point then TJ losing the belt is good because it opens up the door for Cody to step back into the title picture.  If he ended up winning the title, watch how quick TJ vs. Cody III is setup.

Edited by NoCalMike

You shouldn’t get rewarded for stuffing a takedown. If the fighter stuffs the takedown and makes the aggressor pay for it by hitting them or something then yeah but if it’s just defending takedowns they shouldn’t be rewarded because they aren’t mounting any offense themselves.  

30 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

You shouldn’t get rewarded for stuffing a takedown. If the fighter stuffs the takedown and makes the aggressor pay for it by hitting them or something then yeah but if it’s just defending takedowns they shouldn’t be rewarded because they aren’t mounting any offense themselves.  

Right, I get that, but let's say an opponent's background is wrestling.  You see often times those fights where a large portion is one guy wrapped up on another guy against the cage trying to get a takedown.  Now let's say the two guys are in that position for the majority of the round and at the very end of the round the guy finally gets a takedown.  I always hear "that might have just won the round"  I sort of have an issue with that if it took the guy 3 minutes or more to even get the take down. If a wrestlers has you wrapped up what else is there you can do besides fight it off and try to not get taken down?  Sure you can try and strike, but that might leave you in a more vulnerable position to get taken down.