Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Beginning - Embrace The Noodle

JSSkinz

I've never started a thread but we need one to discuss Colt as its obvious he will be our QB going forward for this season.

I hate to admit it but I feel like we have a new life, everyone watched what the offense looked like when he came in and yes I know teams will gameplan him but he's been in the offense forever. I don't know what's going to happen and I don't expect him to put up crazy numbers but I think he can do what's needed to keep us competitive in every game.

Passing game got better, and that's the one thing I felt was really left to help legitimize us as a playoff team despite any other holes.  Think we lost to the better team and almost squeeked it out, but this is one game.  He's a backup for a reason, this was one game.

There's going to be a huge amount of pressure on him next week, a short week at that, on the road, for what may be the division lead.  Either he will be ready for it or he won't, and we're going to find out fast.  Better believe the film from last time he beat them is going to come out the closet in Arlington this week.

As I said in another thread, QBs off the bench almost always provide a spark, and I like Colt a lot. But I remember when he was our starter a few years back, and he seemed to get worse with each passing week. Great game in Dallas that year, but not so great as the season progressed. Once teams start preparing for him, it'll be a lot tougher than it was today. Hoping he can squeeze out a win next week, though. 

And of course if he DOES exceed expectations for us, the obvious question will be why we brought in Smith at all. 

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

As I said in another thread, QBs off the bench almost always provide a spark, and I like Colt a lot. But I remember when he was our starter a few years back, and he seemed to get worse with each passing week. Great game in Dallas that year, but not so great as the season progressed. Once teams start preparing for him, it'll be a lot tougher than it was today. Hoping he can squeeze out a win next week, though. 

And of course if he DOES exceed expectations for us, the obvious question will be why we brought in Smith at all. 

It's not like the offense can look much worse with Colt.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Passing game got better

Urgency got better too. With no TOs getting back to the line & spiking the ball on 1st down, that's something I don't think I've ever seen a Gruden or even a Shanny team do here.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I've never started a thread but we need one to discuss Colt as its obvious he will be our QB going forward for this season.

I hate to admit it but I feel like we have a new life, everyone watched what the offense looked like when he came in and yes I know teams will gameplan him but he's been in the offense forever. I don't know what's going to happen and I don't expect him to put up crazy numbers but I think he can do what's needed to keep us competitive in every game.

The comparisons of McCoy to pasta, are exaggerated.

Did you notice we threw more long balls with McCoy in the game, compared to Smith ? And they were pretty crisp balls, at least as crisp as Smith's long balls.

Even more telling, was the high-risk attempt on our last offensive play. That was high-risk because I think that play-call lost the game. If we would have just

throw a quick and out and out of bounds, for just 5 yards, then our FG wins the game. But anyway, this thread isn't about Jay. While I seriously question the play-call, what I'm saying is shows how much confidence Jay has in Colt's long ball on a high-risk play, because as you saw, the incompletion lost the game.

Well a lot of people got their wish, at least ; those begging for McCoy.

So at least some people will be happy. Though time will tell if it's a case of "be careful of what you wish for".

But it looks like that probably won't be the case. McCoy is certainly good enough to get us to the playoffs.

Colt McCoy = Nick Foles.

Yea, not literally, I know. They're much different.

But I am hopeful that the results will be the same.

Just now, TK said:

Urgency got better too. With no TOs getting back to the line & spiking the ball on 1st down, that's something I don't think I've ever seen a Gruden or even a Shanny team do here.

It really was something seeing Alex and Colt try to run what looked like a hurry up in the same game, you couldn't be more night and day if you tried.  That typically is not a good sign for the guy people are lolligagging up to the line for, especially if they are the starter.

I think Colt was more decisive and accurate then Alex, Jay complained about Alex wanting guys to be more open before throwing them the ball.  My concern is this may mean that turnovers have nowhere to go but up, he has to stay smart with the ball, that's different then overly cautious.

6 minutes ago, Hooterman said:

More importantly, what do the skins do for a #2 now?  

Yeah that’s the bigger question. One would think they don’t want to have to rely on reed or Quinn being the backup now for the rest of the year. They’ll still be the emergency QBs but someone has to be the backup to colt. 

3 minutes ago, rdskn4eva said:

If colt is so great why has he been a backup for the last 9 years or whatever?

Why does an 85 Margaux taste so good, because it aged and has evolved into perfection.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone believes "he's so good".

32 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Yeah, I feel like I've seen it a hundred times. A QB gets hurt, the backup comes in and looks great and everyone gets excited. Then, the backup becomes the starter and never lives up to the relief appearance.

The Clint Longley effect, for us old guys.

The passing offence has been turgid at best. Colt lit it up when he came in, and he's got much better mobility than Smith does. Let's be honest here - I know we have a winning record at the moment, but Smith has stunk the joint up in the passing game. Colt may not be any better, but can he be much worse? I'm not talking talent here to be clear - their NFL careers tell the story on that one, but purely in terms of production this season, can Colt make the passing game any worse? If the answer to that is no, then we're no worse off. If you think his production will surpass what Smith has been doing then we're considerably better off.

We get Trent back on the line, and the defense keeps showing up, I like our chances to at least make the post-season.

Texans was our hardest game left on the slate - we have a relatively weak schedule ahead albeit with a lot of divisional games.

Beat the Cowboys and I don't see them winning the division. We beat the Eagles once then I don't think they can beat us to the division either as the Conference tiebreaker is heavily stacked in our favour.

58 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Teams will game plan and take advantage of his lack of arm strength. That being said, I'm ok with a dink and dunk attack that gets the ball out on time, assuming the offensive line holds up. 

Especially considering how bad Smith has been at it

39 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

As I said in another thread, QBs off the bench almost always provide a spark, and I like Colt a lot. But I remember when he was our starter a few years back, and he seemed to get worse with each passing week. Great game in Dallas that year, but not so great as the season progressed.

Sort of. After the Dallas game it was all Griffin against the Vikes. We lost. Then there was TBay. Again, all Griffin and we lost. Then we played the 49ers. Griffin and Garcon. Lost. Then we put in McCoy for the Indy game. We lost but he threw for 3 TD's. MCoy and Griffin didn't do a thing the following week against the Rams, and then some cleanup loss against the Giants. And that was Grudens first year in 2014. 

Archived