Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-game Apathy Thread

Burgundy Yoda

We saw that game coming. A win would have been a sign of things that have changed. Did anyone honestly expect us to look prepared after an extra week off with Gruden at the helm? 

Defense was badly exposed and is very oddly incredibly weak against the short pass and the run.  

The most Redskins thing to do would be to win next week and drop the next two. 

Sorry for the long rant.

I think most fans have come to realize the purgatory this franchise is in but for those of you that still seem to be blinded by loyalty (or stupidity), gather round and letÂ’s discuss a few things.

It sounds like hyperbole, but this franchise will never become a consistent winner until Dan Snyder is no longer the owner. People have been saying this for many years and the rebuttal is to always make excuses for him, or suggest that he no longer actively participates in the decision making.

Whether he removes himself from the daily operations or not, is not the issue, the fact that it is his intellect that puts people like Vinny Cerrato, Bruce Allen, and the countless other imbeciles in decision-making positions is the root of our issues and the reason why we have stayed in purgatory.

We donÂ’t have to go back decades to see his ineptitude to make a point, simply going back 5 years is more than enough to see his leadership is not one to be proud of. Has he ever spoken and given you the feeling that it is genuine or knowledgeable? Certainly not to me, everything seems contrived and calculated but at the same time, condescending.

But let’s ignore Snyder for a second. We already know he is the root of our issues. The rest of the clown show will remain a clown show as long as he is the lead clown but for discussion purposes, we might as well start talking about Bruce Allen. He has been with the team 9 years (I’ve lost count), and we are still a laughing stock, just maybe “not as bad as we once were”.

Allen (and yes Snyder) was the one who decided to draft RG3 and trade away a ton of picks, which worked out great for one year, but then we lowered his value so much by benching him, having our coach vocally lash out at him in the media, that we let him go for nothing. Then we had a 4000+ yard QB who we somehow lost in free agency without any sort of compensation. These are the idiots that run our team. Think itÂ’s going to get better when you have 2 young QBs (the most important position in the NFL) on your team, at the same time and a few years later you lose them for not even one low round draft pick?

Speaking of draft picks, you will never become a consistently good team when you draft miss after miss. Not every pick will be a hit, nor elite talent but you HAVE to find some legitimate starters in your 2nd and 3rd round picks. What do we do? We draft guys like Ryan Anderson, Fabian Moreau, Josh Doctson, Sua Cravens, Preston Smith and Matt Jones. Couple more years and none of these will be on this team, or at least shouldnÂ’t be. You canÂ’t build a winner if you keep drafting bench players.

I personally still am not that enamored with Brandon Scherff. Very solid guard, but I don’t see him as elite. For a number 5 overall pick, he gets pushed around too much for my liking and that missed block from last night, seems to happen to him much more than you’d want from your top overall pick. But that’s nitpicking. He is good, just not as good as I think some fans think he is but my point is that even our 1st round talent leaves a lot to be desired.

Every team will have bad drafts, but the really bad teams (which means us), will consistently have bad drafts. We are just simply allergic to drafting elite talent or have no concept of what a football player looks like.

It’s not all terrible on the drafting side. We did find gems like Reed, Thompson and Crowder, which in any competent offense would give the opposing team fits. These three guys are very talented and although Reed is not Gronk, Thompson is not Tyreke Hill and Crowder is not Edelman, these three are more than talented enough that a good coaching staff would get them in positions to be extremely successful. Place these three with the Patriots, Eagles, Steelers, Chiefs or any of the other well-run organization and we’d be clamoring “why can’t we draft players like that”. Which leads me to the next issue with the team. The damn coaches.

The head coach, is a likable guy, but as a fan looking in, this guy looks lost most of the time and his record shows for it. 5 years in, 1 playoff appearance when the division was its weakest, consistently inconsistent and his last three years the record has progressively gotten worse. Usually great between the 20s, but canÂ’t scheme for the Redzone or a running game to save his life. Oh, and as far as we know, he is the doofus who decided to keep Haslett, then hire Barry and eventually turn to Manunsky. Do any of these three names instill confidence in you? Well it shouldnÂ’t. These three were basically bottom of the barrel defensive coordinator and yet Jay somehow felt compelled to make them an offer.

So weÂ’ve discussed bad decision-making by the ownership, bad decision-making by the front office and now bad decision-making by the coaches. What else is left? This is who we are stuck with. We work in cycles, where every few years, we have a mediocre 9 win season and sneak into the playoffs but the following subsequent years we inevitably come crashing back down to reality until the next cycle hits and fans lose their collective mind thinking itÂ’s the start of a turn around.

To some of you this is repeating to the choir, for others, you might think winning is “right around the corner”. Those in the second group, I envy and pity you at the same time. If you accept mediocrity, you will continue to be mediocre. At its best, this team is mediocre.

This is what I get. I let 2 solid-to-good games out of our first 3 make me think that this could be a 10-win team. It can't. Our ceiling (if things break very much in our favor) is a 8-9 win season. 

It's barely October and I think I'll be tuning in with less intensity for a bit. I'll watch for sure, but I won't be spun up like I was over the first 4 games. And, what's worse, it's happening when the team is 2-2 and very alive (mathematically) in the NFC. 

There's your apathy. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't have any faith in our ability to play with Carolina...from what I can remember, we haven't really challenged them since Cam took over, have we?

Just now, Bigmuss1 said:

Please explain to me how???  Cam has owned us......

I feel ilke our defense is MUCH better than years past and Carolina just isn't that good.  They needed a 63 yard field goal to beat the Giants and they stink!

Christian McCaffery is going to Light Up our slow Inside Linebackers.  We are NOT going to blitz again and Cam will eat us up with his arm.  Even Cam Newton can dissect this secondary with 5 seconds to throw.  

I donÂ’t see it, and you may be surprised Thursday night when the Giants play the Eagles.

I've been under the impression that Snyder had backed off of being 'hands on', and let others do the work.

If it IS true, I can't lay blame at Snyder for being involved, but I can for his decision to hire Bruce Allen.

Bruce is the nucleus of this ****-show called the Washington Redskins. his hire was an attempt at re-living past times where the team and the coaching were good. Bruce Allen was sent packing by the Buccaneers,  His career began in Oakland, where he ruined the Raiders, then rode the coattails of John Gruden when he went to Tampa Bay, only to ruin that team as well.

Bruce has a well-documented history of not wanting to pay veterans who earned a bigger payday, and sent them packing, and replacing players with much less talented ones, only to appease the owner by saving them money. After Tampa, he joined the Redskins and its been a nightmare ever since. He was out of football entirely for a few years, so I have no idea why Snyder decided to hire him. Allen's schemes in player contracts cost the team dearly, and whether or not some considered that to be BS by the league, nevertheless it was the Redskins who were punished.

Bruce Allen is for the most part a cheerleader for the team with unbelievable FO power; just as he did in Oakland and Tampa, vet players were sent packing, power struggles in the FO and in the coaching staff, and his 'its not my fault' mentality is what has ruined this team, but unfortunately he has some hypnotic power over Snyder and that's why he's still here.

This team has lost some very valuable players and coaches due to Allen, and he's not done by a long shot. A month or so ago I made a comment about the Cleveland Browns being that dark horse team that will turn things around and be a force to deal with in coming years has come true. They did it the right way; got new FO personnel, drafted a good young QB, and worked deals and got a lot of draft picks to play with, and they're not done. Allen will never admit being wrong, it will always be someone else's fault, and Allen will continue to bring in worn out vets who have seen better days, to just get the team to a mediocre record, which will never yield those much-needed position players.

Get rid of Bruce Allen, and that's a huge start. Send Jay packing as well as Manusky. hire a competent GM and let him build the team the right way; yes there will be growing pains, but most every team in the league has torn down and re-built, even the Eagles, they've done it TWICE, and have some great players who want to win. But in order to win, these players need coaching to get and keep them motivated. This will continue until Bruce is gone, may as well face reality.

5 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I feel ilke our defense is MUCH better than years past and Carolina just isn't that good.  They needed a 63 yard field goal to beat the Giants and they stink!

The giants have been in most every game this year. Their record doesn't reflect it, but they've played hard until the end. This team doesn't. This coach doesn't. 

The Panthers have a good defense, much better than the Redskins, and a QB who is big, mobile, and is not afraid to throw the ball and give WRs a chance to make a play; Smith doesn't seem to want to throw the ball until the WR is already open.

The Saints were fired up to play, but the Panthers are legit beasts in defense, and unfortunately Smith and Gruden will find this out.

7 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Don't let the overall defensive rankings fool you.  Sure we are #5 overall and the Panthers are like #20, but as far as points per game, we are about even on that.  Not to mention Carolina is the #1 rushing team in the NFL right now.  They are slim at WR, but it doesn't matter, they will be playing us and we all know our defense gives up a minimum of one or two huge plays per game, even when we win games.  

Cam has given us fits over the years, I don't expect anything less come Sunday.  After week 1, they have put up 31, 31 and 33 points.  Oh and there is that whole ****ty play calling thing from Jay.  If Reed doesn't get targeted until the third quarter again, I'm going to ****ing lose it.

It makes no sense, we have one of the best TE's in all of football when healthy.  He's finally healthy and it's like Jay is scared to throw to him so he doesn't get injured again.  Hello Captain Obvious, not throwing to him gets the same results as when he's hurt, nothing.  

I've been watching this team for 37 years. I will admit, I was one of those fans for years making excuses for Snyder and hoping he'd "get it". Or that he would hit rock bottom and the embarrassment would lead to him finally hiring real football people and letting them run the team. That hope is all but gone. The hope that we will EVER be a consistent winner with Snyder is all but gone. And most sadly, at least some of that feeling I've had a fan is starting to go. I never imagined the skins would actually let Cousins walk. I said as much to fellow fans. "It's all posturing, they'll sign him eventually. We're not going to let our first bonafide franchise QB in decades walk." Boy was I wrong. This franchise has achieved levels of incompetence I didn't realize were possible. And so it's finally taking a toll. In years past heading into a Monday night game with a winning record, in first place I would have been so juiced all day. I wouldn't have been able to focus at work, impatiently waiting to go home and prep for the game. But yesterday I just wasn't THAT excited. I was looking forward to the game yes. I was fired up by kickoff. But that same level of excitement and buzz just isn't there right now. I pretty much knew what was coming. In the past after a loss in a game like that I would usually mope around the next day, honestly a bit depressed. Hell, it would take a few days to get over it. Not today. I am not depressed. I am not moping. The only thing I feel is disgust. On many levels. But it ends and begins at the top. With the owner. Quite possibly the most incompetent, clueless owner in all of sports. 

One of the worst called games I’ve seen in years, both on offense and defense. It was clear the OL wasnÂ’t getting it done early and instead of alleviating some of the pressure by using the quick passing game and moving the QB - you know, the one that this entire offense is built for - we kept having Smith drop back, stand around and try to find his closest receiver 30 yards away. And one throw to Reed all game? That makes sense.

Defense was clueless. Screen pass after screen pass and we canÂ’t figure out how to line up to stop them.

Gruden was deer-in-theaheadlights as has been all too common over the years.

2 hours ago, max21 said:

Brown isn’t slow but IÂ’m pretty sure IÂ’m faster than Mason Foster. 

I like Mason Foster, because I think he's a heady player.  I think back to his interception that gave us the victory against the Rams last year.  But at this point, I'd take speed over smarts.  My dad calls them "ice wagon" players.  Move so slow it's like they're pulling an ice wagon behind them. smh

2 hours ago, VeroViper said:

I've been watching this team for 37 years. I will admit, I was one of those fans for years making excuses for Snyder and hoping he'd "get it". Or that he would hit rock bottom and the embarrassment would lead to him finally hiring real football people and letting them run the team. That hope is all but gone. The hope that we will EVER be a consistent winner with Snyder is all but gone. And most sadly, at least some of that feeling I've had a fan is starting to go. 

After listening to Chad Duke's latest rant, I'm beginning to agree with you.

https://thefandc.radio.com/listen-chad-dukes-redskins-saints-rant 

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

This is what I get. I let 2 solid-to-good games out of our first 3 make me think that this could be a 10-win team. It can't. Our ceiling (if things break very much in our favor) is a 8-9 win season. 

Yep. We've been basically a .500 team the past three years, and the home attendance figures to start the season show that very few are giving a damn about this team, particularly one that scares nobody on offense. 

Archived