Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm tired of Charley Casserly's criticism

Vanguard

I think he unfairly criticizes players on the Redskins.  He most recently said Josh Norman is the third best corner on the team.  He is very critical of D.J. Swearinger.  And when D.J. balls out, like he usually does.  Casserly keeps his mouth shut.  And according to him, Dunbar has been "solid."  For what Dunbar has been asked to do, I feel like he's been more than just adequate.  And it's not just the one's I've mentioned, he's criticized other players too.  He needs to eat crow.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait. One of the things you’re mad about is casserly calling one of our CBs solid? Sounds like a compliment ? there are plenty things to get mad at him about. That isn’t one of them ??‍♂️

I'm upset because he's shortchanging him.

Josh Norman's reputation FAR outweighs his production.

Does anyone really think otherwise? He came to us with the rep of being one of,, if not THE best corner in the game. Do you see that? He collected a huge payday.  Have you seen a return on that investment like expected?

did anyone hear last week when in the pregame talk-up Charles Davis said Qbs were AFRAID to throw at him?

This is Davis who comes here and reads the press points and thinks they are accurate, and Norman's reputation says 'best corner".
Have you EVER seen a game in which a QB could be said to be afraid to throw at him?

He never fails to bite on a double move. he hasn't got very good make up speed... he goes for strips rather than tackles.

I won't rank him against our other corners, but he certainly is not what his rep says he is.

Interceptions? They don't exist. PDs barely happen. Passes get completed, though. Sometimes when a guy with a big rep has no picks or PDs it IS because Qbs avoid them. Not Josh. They don't avoid him. 

I guess some folks would rather be told everything is sugar plums,, even though you watch him trailing a WR with the ball too often for his supposed shut down status. If they traded him for a decent parcel of picks, i wouldn't mind. Cash in on that overblown rep.

~Bang

47 minutes ago, Bang said:

Josh Norman's reputation FAR outweighs his production.

Does anyone really think otherwise?

I said this after his first season here and got ripped for it.  I pointed out that his play doesn't match his salary or all his on the field antics. If you and OBJ will take away from the game, every game they meet, with the same old side show act you better be a great player. Instead we have to watch all his antics and he just isn't that good.  

Now we have Charlie Casserly whose draft record is on par with Vinny Cerrato and he is the "expert analyst"  

Sincerely, 

Grumpy Old Man. 

10 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Now we have Charlie Casserly whose draft record is on par with Vinny Cerrato and he is the "expert analyst"  

Sincerely, 

Grumpy Old Man. 

Cerrato's might be actually better, draft wise.  Casserly missed on more #1's from what I recall than Cerrato. 

Yeah Casserly doesn't think much of our safeties, he's been on that for while.  He thinks both Swearinger and Nicholson are overrated - inconsistent, vulnerable to the pass.  He thinks its the achilles heel of the team.

I think Norman’s play falls somewhere between what we paid him and our fans’ perception. He hasn’t played up to the paycheck but he’s better than most give him credit for. He’s not a shutdown guy. But he brings a lot to the table as a tackler, forces fubles and is around the ball and his leadership and worth ethic and the attitude he brings to the defense are all very welcome attributes. I get people’s concern with salary cap that drives this “need”to feel like players must play to their salary. That rarely ever happens. That’s not an excuse as much as it is me saying stop thinking only in terms of salary and just be happy we have Norman because he is a very good player and a valuable piece to our secondary. 

We have guys who’s whole job is to balance the cap. That’s why coaching and front office is so important in terms of scouting and developing young talent like Dunbar to play on cheaper contracts to balance it out. Norman has been a helpful piece and we need him right now but I think we all know he likely won’t finish his contract but definitely won’t be seeing a second rich one. I wish he was picking off passes left and right or shutting guys out but right now the defense is healthy and playing well and is one of the better pass defenses in the league. Hobbled or not, outside of one miscommunication leading to a long TD we held Rodgers to about 50 yards in the first half.  We held Bradford to a career low in passing yards in the first half. Indy had a solid game plan to scheme Hilton open underneath but we didn’t let anything over our heads that I remember. We aren’t perfect but I think too many guys feel we should be in order to deserve any credit at all. I think it’s healthy for our fans to have a bye week and watch other games to see that these other successful teams are not perfect either. 

for the record, i always always always have a difficult time with guys in their 70s using hairpieces and dyes to try to look like they're 35.

You can't even face your own hair, and i am supposed to take your word for anything?

~Bang

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Saying Norman is playing like the 3rd best corner isn’t a great stretch.

That could also means that our 1st and second best are freaking good.

Normal can't really lived to his status so far but he's not crappy at all. I've seen worst corners throughout the league. Even on this team.

1 hour ago, moondog said:

I think Norman’s play falls somewhere between what we paid him and our fans’ perception. He hasn’t played up to the paycheck but he’s better than most give him credit for. He’s not a shutdown guy. But he brings a lot to the table as a tackler

Bruh ... we must be watching 2 different Josh Norman's.  The one I see is one of the worst tacklers on the team who lunges at guys or tries to punch the ball out and misses, rather than wrapping up to get the guy down.

I have no problem with Charlie.  I like listening to him and think he just tells it how it is.  This team is perennial mediocore/bad so it's not a stretch to hear people criticize people on the team.

Just now, Wildbunny said:

That could also means that our 1st and second best are freaking good.

Normal can't really lived to his status so far but he's not crappy at all. I've seen worst corners throughout the league. Even on this team.

Hes not one of the worst - no, but he really hasn’t done much of anything here.

I love Josh’s story of how he got to the league and he was so nice and genuine when I met him with my family.  Made my wife want to buy his jersey and did.

But I’d be lying if I said he appears to be worth even half what he’s been making.  He’s been on the other end of big plays and not making enough of them, really any since 2016. 

The thing about Norman is, when you pluck a solid player out of a great system, it is hard for them to replicate their success on a new team if the overall defense is lesser.  Carolina had a monster defense when Norman played there.  Carolina's front office took the bet that they'd rather replace one piece, even if that piece was solid rather than pay someone so much that it could lead to the break up of the defense.

I haven't been following Fuller too much on the Chiefs, but their defense overall is pretty bad.  Fuller was a rising star on this team as a slot corner.  How is he doing in KC? 

I’m a little confused by the Norman bashing.... I watch all the games like most people here and I guess I’m just not seeing what others are seeing. I’d agree he isn’t a “shut down” corner in the mold of Deion in his prime or even a guy like Jalen Ramsey now—- but he doesn’t give up much either and QBs DO NOT Challenge him often. Most games I see very few instances of him being targeted in one on one coverage. As a matter of fact, in three games this year I can only really recall two plays where I feel he got flat beat... one was a crossing route by Hilton against Indy where he trailed and didn’t get there. The other one was on a play where Rodgers scrambled and threw a dart on the money to a sliding WR for a first down— Norman was the corner in coverage. I think he’s still performing at a pro bowl level. You see how badly so many CBs are getting torched this year? I still think Norman is upper echelon. 

Archived