Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm tired of Charley Casserly's criticism

Vanguard

On 10/5/2018 at 8:51 PM, Riggo-toni said:

And the 91 SB team was almost entirely Beathard players. Beathard put together the Posse, the Hogs (though Casserly found Jacoby as a scout), drafted Rypien, Darrell Green, Art Monk, Mark May, Charles Mann, Monte.Coleman, signed Wilbur Marshall....

Casserly traded two firsts for Desmond Howard, traded up for Andre Collins, who never played a down. Traded future SB QB Stan Humphries for  punter who got.cut in camp.  His only draft choice that mattered in 91 was Brian Mitchell.  From 89 to 98, his best first rounder was Kenard Lang...?  This guy deserves as much credit for the 91 SB as Barry Switzer does for the Cowboys last hurrah.

Didn’t he make the move to draft Champ Bailey?  Didn’t he make the deal that set Skins up with 2nd & 3rd overall picks in 2000 draft?  He made the trade to bring in Brad Johnson.  Who got rid of Brad Johnson?  ??‍♂️

One good first rounder in 11 years does not a good GM make.  When Casserly left, we had only one probowl player he had drafted on the roster - the punter.

He traded a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd for Brad Johnson. The first was used to draft Culpepper, btw. No way was he worth that. Yes, he won a SB, but so did Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler.

Casserly's first rounders:

Bobby Wilson - out of football after 3 years

Desmond Howard - cost 2 first rounders, bust as WR...2 1sts for a kick returner

Tom Carter -looked pretty good as a #2 CB...playing opposite Darrell Green. Sucked balls without him after leaving via FA

Heath Shuler - somehow getting an 8 on his wunderlic wasn't enough of a red flag. Interesting fact - supposedly Shuler's mega-failure inspired future GMs to measure QB's hand size.

Michael Westbroken - the only person who hates him more than the fans is probably Stephen Davis.

Andre Johnson - traded up to get him, never played a down.

Kenard Lang - rode the bench until Schotferbrains had to play him at DT after cutting Blubberfield. Mediocre NFL career.

Roland Bailey - his one and only good first rounder, and we traded back all the Ditka picks from that year's mega-trade to get him.

Now compare this with Vinny Bugeyes, whom we all justifiably hate:

Lavar Arrington - most overrated Redskin of all time, but still better than Kenard Lang. 

Chris Samuels - traded 2 late firsts with SF to get him, but he was an all-pro LT.

Ramsey - bust, but still better than Shuler. Shuler was a top 3 pick; Ramses was the last pick of the 1st round.

Orakpo - solid pick. 4 time Probowler who became too plagued by injuries to retain, but is still playing for the Titans and made his last probowl in 2016.

On ?10?/?2?/?2018 at 12:12 AM, Vanguard said:

I think he unfairly criticizes players on the Redskins.  He most recently said Josh Norman is the third best corner on the team.  He is very critical of D.J. Swearinger.  And when D.J. balls out, like he usually does.  Casserly keeps his mouth shut.  And according to him, Dunbar has been "solid."  For what Dunbar has been asked to do, I feel like he's been more than just adequate.  And it's not just the one's I've mentioned, he's criticized other players too.  He needs to eat crow.

What do you think after the Saints game?  Our secondary is poor and 2 games so far (Indy and NO)where opposing receivers are running down the field free with no one covering them, for gimme TD's.  Josh is all mouth and not worth the money or playing time.  Rebuild and trade to get better...Allen gave up our best DB last year with Fuller for Alex because Allen blew it with Cousins.  We need Allen gone and we should not have let McVay walk, so that Gruden could be released.  Gruden's comment after the Saints game about problems that need to be fixed, we keep hearing that from game 1 to 16 each and every year. The fix needs to start with Allen and Gruden's release and trade Norman for a 7th rounder if you can find a taker.  The Saints Michael Thomas hit the nail on the head...Norman is a clown that is all talk...the only thing he is good at.  I went to every game from 1961 to 2002 and this owner and his decisions has made the Skins franchise a joke.  We have some talented players that will be lucky to break even this year with this coach. Swearinger only DB above average talent in this terrible situation. Once again, this team was not ready after a bye week....coaching, coaching, coaching...when will it be realized?

1 minute ago, rabidskin said:

What do you think after the Saints game?  Our secondary is poor and 2 games so far (Indy and NO)where opposing receivers are running down the field free with no one covering them, for gimme TD's.  Josh is all mouth and not worth the money or playing time.  Rebuild and trade to get better...Gruden gave up our best DB last year with Fuller for Alex because Allen blew it with Cousins.  We need Allen gone and we should not have let McVay walk, so that Gruden could be released.  Gruden's comment after the Saints game about problems that need to be fixed, we keep hearing that from game 1 to 16 each and every year. The fix needs to start with Allen and Gruden's release and trade Norman for a 7th rounder if you can find a taker.  The Saints Michael Thomas hit the nail on the head...Norman is a clown that is all talk...the only thing he is good at.  I went to every game from 1961 to 2002 and this owner and his decisions has made the Skins franchise a joke.  We have some talented players that will be lucky to break even this year with this coach. Swearinger only DB above average talent in this terrible situation. Once again, this team was not ready after a bye week....coaching, coaching, coaching...when will it be realized?

I agree with just about everything you said.  And I echo your sentiments about coaching.  We need the type of coach that can change a culture.   I would love to get someone like Andy Reid.  Josh Norman has been on a steady decline.  And they appear to be mental mistakes.  Hopefully, things that can be corrected.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:30 PM, Riggo-toni said:

No, that was Beathard...unless you consider the Norv era as our glory years. Casserly was a scout in our heyday, which is as high up the ladder as he should have gone. He was made GM in time to claim credit for 91, but the core of that team was still Beathard. Casserly made a trade for the starting DT, and I think that was about it. His only great contributions were discovering Joe Jacoby and putting together the replacements squad. For ten straight years, every top pick of his either busted or was a disappointment. Champ Bailey was his only good first rounder, and when he left the Skins had the worst OL in the NFL. He became GM for the Texans, and they were awful and...had the worst OL in the NFL.

Charlie’s best moves usually happened at the end of his tenure.  The two 1st rd picks he got from Carolina for Gilbert, the Ricky Williams draft haul from NO and taking Bailey set the Skins up well on his way out.  His final draft in Houston was probably his best which I think netted the Texans 4 or 5 starters.  

12 hours ago, rabidskin said:

Gruden gave up our best DB last year with Fuller for Alex because Allen blew it with Cousins. 

Bruce Allen made the call.

Doug Williams wasn't even aware of it before it was made public. I'm pretty sure Jay wasn't as well and learned details of it in the press.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, Riggo-toni said:

Ramsey - bust, but still better than Shuler. Shuler was a top 3 pick; Ramses was the last pick of the 1st round.

To this day, I still say Ramsey coulda been an average starter had he come up in a different situation.

This franchise in '02-'04 was not really an environment conducive to sound QB development of a franchise QB.  Spurrier coming in trying to get you to play college QB and Gibbs 2.0 trying to get you to play QB from 1985.  

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:10 AM, Wildbunny said:

Bruce Allen made the call.

Doug Williams wasn't even aware of it before it was made public. I'm pretty sure Jay wasn't as well and learned details of it in the press.

You are 100% correct....my mistake, meant to say Allen....but still no changing my mind that Allen must go and Gruden is a break even coach.  Thanks for the correction.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Vanguard said:

I agree with just about everything you said.  And I echo your sentiments about coaching.  We need the type of coach that can change a culture.   I would love to get someone like Andy Reid.  Josh Norman has been on a steady decline.  And they appear to be mental mistakes.  Hopefully, things that can be corrected.

Yes indeed...and as noted by Wildbunny and I stand corrected...I meant to say Allen as responsible for losing Fuller to get Alex because he blew it with Cousins.  Gruden always has the same "problems to fix" attitude that never get fixed and I'm so sick of hearing the same press conferences...plus he lacks skills in clock management, play selection and most importantly...Motivation and getting the team prepared each week.  Winning teams have motivated players that are mentally prepared and knowledgeable about their opponents...How often do you see Redskins swarming around the ball consistently?  We were outplayed by Colts and I truly believe we have better talent, but they kicked our butts physically and mentally and we are supposed to be better than last year, so what happened in New Orleans where we dominated last year with a lot of backups only to do a Gruden give-away in the last 2 minutes.  This year we looked like a high school team after a bye week again.   Even if all the NFC East teams gift wraps a playoff spot for us this year, we are going no where.  This is why I say fire Allen and Gruden now and build for next year and the future.

23 minutes ago, rabidskin said:

Yes indeed...and as noted by Wildbunny and I stand corrected...I meant to say Allen as responsible for losing Fuller to get Alex because he blew it with Cousins.  Gruden always has the same "problems to fix" attitude that never get fixed and I'm so sick of hearing the same press conferences...plus he lacks skills in clock management, play selection and most importantly...Motivation and getting the team prepared each week.  Winning teams have motivated players that are mentally prepared and knowledgeable about their opponents...How often do you see Redskins swarming around the ball consistently?  We were outplayed by Colts and I truly believe we have better talent, but they kicked our butts physically and mentally and we are supposed to be better than last year, so what happened in New Orleans where we dominated last year with a lot of backups only to do a Gruden give-away in the last 2 minutes.  This year we looked like a high school team after a bye week again.   Even if all the NFC East teams gift wraps a playoff spot for us this year, we are going no where.  This is why I say fire Allen and Gruden now and build for next year and the future.

That's the thing, I feel like Jay is squandering the talent of a Jordan Reed, and a Chris Thompson.  This should be some of their most impactful years, right now.  I hated losing Kendall Fuller.  But if that's the move we had to make in order to get a franchise quarterback, at this point, so be it.  But like you alluded to, it doesn't seem like it's panning out thus far.  It's still early, we'll see.  And Jay, what can I say?  One of the Sports Junkies on 106.7 finally said what I've been saying for several months.  Jay's body language on the sideline is so uninspiring.  It's like he's holding his breath every play.

9 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I hated losing Kendall Fuller.  But if that's the move we had to make in order to get a franchise quarterback, at this point, so be it. 

Alex Smith is not a franchise QB. That’s the problem. He’s a mediocre QB that looked good because of an elite offense around him and a HOF head coach. You don’t trade young, cheap pieces to get aging, expensive pieces.

48 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Alex Smith is not a franchise QB. That’s the problem. He’s a mediocre QB that looked good because of an elite offense around him and a HOF head coach. You don’t trade young, cheap pieces to get aging, expensive pieces.

Youre saying that based on what hes done thus far in Washington.

If Snyder wants to win he needs to fire the entire house running this show then hire a gm and shut his office down at redskins park leave the facility and never look back. The new gm will need to bring in a head coach and work with him to draft a qb they both agree on and then we can work from there ... it’s the only legitimate way to become decent for long periods of time as opposed to just one year here and there.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:28 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think people should learn to not get annoyed at national media’s criticisms of the team when more often than not, they’re right ? 

Sadly, I agree.

5 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Interesting perspective? Screams of desperation and cover our ass.

11 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I'm not an Alex Smith apologist. But you'll find a respectable number of football minds that will say he's a franchise quarterback.   

First, we need to define franchise QB. If you look at his stats over his 14 year career, he only has one that is actually a quite nice year. Not nearly as good as Cousins best year, but it's it's a very nice year. The rest, are average. Over his career, he's been a efficient QB, but he's not the primary offensive playmaker. He's is a good game manager, someone that doesn't loose a game, but is not going to win one either. He is a complimentary piece, not someone you build around.

When I think of a franchise QB, it's someone like Brady, or Manning (not Eli) or Rodgers, or Brees or Rivers, or Roethlisberger or someone like that. Not a middle of the pack QB that doesn't really stretch the field.

Archived