Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm tired of Charley Casserly's criticism

Vanguard

7 minutes ago, rick7423 said:

Casserly is always wrong. He is a past his prime hack who constantly tries to re-invent himself and has no credibility anymore. just ignore him and move on.

Really just like any of the National guys, sometimes I wonder what game their watching. 

2 hours ago, kleese said:

I think he’s still performing at a pro bowl level. You see how badly so many CBs are getting torched this year? I still think Norman is upper echelon. 

Pro bowl players typically make plays.  When’s the last time Josh made a play?    It’s been a long while.

Hes definitely not a garbage player but he’s got a ways to go to be a pro bowl player.  I really hope he does find his game and start making plays because he’s an easy guy to root for.

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Pro bowl players typically make plays.  When’s the last time Josh made a play?    It’s been a long while.

Hes definitely not a garbage player but he’s got a ways to go to be a pro bowl player.  I really hope he does find his game and start making plays because he’s an easy guy to root for.

I've always felt that way about safeties, but not corners. To me, "quiet" is generally a good day for a CB. I do think his lack of any picks at all over the past year+ is a little strange, but all in all, if I only notice a corner on a handful of plays per game, I'm good with that. And as others have mentioned, he is generally a good tackler/provides good support in run game. 

Norman is as solid as they come, He's no Darrell Green that's for sure but the who hell is. If I'm not noticing Norman on the field, which i rarely do, that is a dam good thing.. If you starting noticing your CB every other play bad things are happening, that much i can promise you.

As far as Charley Casserly goes of course he is going to be overly critical of this team, He's like us here at ES. You know deep down charley still has love for this team so he criticizes and talks about it the same way a die hard fan would.

CB on defense is like LT on offense, worth every cent we pay the man!

2 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

But is he elite? Or has dunbar been solid?  

Okay I wouldn't say elite, but "good" would be more appropriate.

What brought all this to my attention was when he criticized D.J. Swearinger for being a chatterbox and too loud.  Those weren't his exact words, but that's basically what he said.  I'm thinking, get off his back, he's an emotional leader, that's what he does to pump himself and his teammates up.  And it works.

3 hours ago, rick7423 said:

Casserly is always wrong. He is a past his prime hack

He had a prime? Cerrato's first round picks look like genius compared to this guy, who whiffed on every first rounder before Bailey.

I'll take Norman over Tom Carter anyday, and I'd even rather have Shawn Lavao than Andre Collins.

12 hours ago, Bang said:

Josh Norman's reputation FAR outweighs his production.

Does anyone really think otherwise? He came to us with the rep of being one of,, if not THE best corner in the game. Do you see that? He collected a huge payday.  Have you seen a return on that investment like expected?

did anyone hear last week when in the pregame talk-up Charles Davis said Qbs were AFRAID to throw at him?

This is Davis who comes here and reads the press points and thinks they are accurate, and Norman's reputation says 'best corner".
Have you EVER seen a game in which a QB could be said to be afraid to throw at him?

He never fails to bite on a double move. he hasn't got very good make up speed... he goes for strips rather than tackles.

I won't rank him against our other corners, but he certainly is not what his rep says he is.

Interceptions? They don't exist. PDs barely happen. Passes get completed, though. Sometimes when a guy with a big rep has no picks or PDs it IS because Qbs avoid them. Not Josh. They don't avoid him. 

I guess some folks would rather be told everything is sugar plums,, even though you watch him trailing a WR with the ball too often for his supposed shut down status. If they traded him for a decent parcel of picks, i wouldn't mind. Cash in on that overblown rep.

~Bang

Agreed. I just wish the old Norman would show up so we could really see how good this defense could be. He has not been worth the money....at least not yet.

His analysis of Jordan Reed: (Read this picturing Cassies voice). Jordan Reed, BIG target, soft hands, GREAT catching ability, WOW... would you look at that guy, I wouldnt mind having him on my team, and you know what? I bet the Redskins dont mind either. What a steal he was in the 6th round of the 2011 draft.

4 hours ago, Skins8989 said:

Isn't this the guy responsible for the glory years? People are quite harsh here.

No, that was Beathard...unless you consider the Norv era as our glory years. Casserly was a scout in our heyday, which is as high up the ladder as he should have gone. He was made GM in time to claim credit for 91, but the core of that team was still Beathard. Casserly made a trade for the starting DT, and I think that was about it. His only great contributions were discovering Joe Jacoby and putting together the replacements squad. For ten straight years, every top pick of his either busted or was a disappointment. Champ Bailey was his only good first rounder, and when he left the Skins had the worst OL in the NFL. He became GM for the Texans, and they were awful and...had the worst OL in the NFL.

Going one on one with an opponent with every game is hard work for any talented secondary in the NFL.  However, tackling is a basic necessity and he has missed a few.  But, bear in mind the salary he signed was set to expire at the time his talent slowly dwindles.  Doubt that the Skins will resign (unless or less money and time).  Still, I would rather see him there instead of a Rookie or cast-off.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:30 PM, Riggo-toni said:

No, that was Beathard...unless you consider the Norv era as our glory years. Casserly was a scout in our heyday, which is as high up the ladder as he should have gone. He was made GM in time to claim credit for 91, but the core of that team was still Beathard. Casserly made a trade for the starting DT, and I think that was about it. His only great contributions were discovering Joe Jacoby and putting together the replacements squad. For ten straight years, every top pick of his either busted or was a disappointment. Champ Bailey was his only good first rounder, and when he left the Skins had the worst OL in the NFL. He became GM for the Texans, and they were awful and...had the worst OL in the NFL.

I'm only quoting this so that people read it again. Consider this a re-tweet. :)

EbWlXi8.gif?noredirect

On 10/2/2018 at 8:00 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Cerrato's might be actually better, draft wise.  Casserly missed on more #1's from what I recall than Cerrato. 

Yeah Casserly doesn't think much of our safeties, he's been on that for while.  He thinks both Swearinger and Nicholson are overrated - inconsistent, vulnerable to the pass.  He thinks its the achilles heel of the team.

Casserly was GM from 89-99 so he was GM of a SB winning team.  Cerrato was acting GM slash Snyder butt boy in 2008 which was probably the worst draft ever assembled.  You can’t be serious.

23 hours ago, -JB- said:

Casserly was GM from 89-99 so he was GM of a SB winning team.  Cerrato was acting GM slash Snyder butt boy in 2008 which was probably the worst draft ever assembled.  You can’t be serious.

And the 91 SB team was almost entirely Beathard players. Beathard put together the Posse, the Hogs (though Casserly found Jacoby as a scout), drafted Rypien, Darrell Green, Art Monk, Mark May, Charles Mann, Monte.Coleman, signed Wilbur Marshall....

Casserly traded two firsts for Desmond Howard, traded up for Andre Collins, who never played a down. Traded future SB QB Stan Humphries for  punter who got.cut in camp.  His only draft choice that mattered in 91 was Brian Mitchell.  From 89 to 98, his best first rounder was Kenard Lang...?  This guy deserves as much credit for the 91 SB as Barry Switzer does for the Cowboys last hurrah.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:00 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Cerrato's might be actually better, draft wise.  Casserly missed on more #1's from what I recall than Cerrato. 

He did pull off the fleecing of the Saints for what’s his nugget RB Ditka couldn’t live without, and turned that (and some other things) into Champ Bailey, Chris Samuels and Lavar Arrington.  Now, Arrington might be the most disappointing draft pick in Skins history because of talent wasted, but that’s more on LaVar being a complete dumbass than anything.

While I agree that Charlie is VASTLY overrated as a GM, he pulled off something Cerato wouldn’t have even conceived of...

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He did pull off the fleecing of the Saints for what’s his nugget RB Ditka couldn’t live without, and turned that (and some other things) into Champ Bailey, Chris Samuels and Lavar Arrington. 

Cerrato drafted Samuels and Arrington, not Casserly. Casserly was fired in 99. 

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Now, Arrington might be the most disappointing draft pick in Skins history because of talent wasted, but that’s more on LaVar being a complete dumbass than anything.

Perhaps it doesn't end up that way with a legit team though.  Lavar got the RG3 treatment here which no doubt didn't help him mature as a person and football player.

23 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps it doesn't end up that way with a legit team though.  Lavar got the RG3 treatment here which no doubt didn't help him mature as a person and football player.

I think youre on the right track but incorrect.  I dont think a legit team takes him number 2 overall.  There were questions about him in college, when he called out Paterno etc.  Even a 5 minute conversation would have revealed his raging NPD.  That never changed and was his downfall.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

He did pull off the fleecing of the Saints for what’s his nugget RB Ditka couldn’t live without...

I’m notsure “pull off” is the best term to use there. Ditka had been contacting all the teams picking before the Skins making that offer but they turned him down. They didn’t want to chance losing “their guy” by trading down. 

Casserly didnt do nothin’ ‘cept say “ok”...

A668DCF7-FB5C-40C6-936B-B3D23739365A.jpeg

Archived