FaithnMonk

What to do with LG

What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

    • In Kouandjio we trust
      12
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
      33
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
      29
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster
      32

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

Recommended Posts

One of the largest roster issues left on the team.  I think we dont yet have our starting LG on the roster.   If Ty goes to Guard, we would be dependent on Clemmens and Christian to take on T if something happens to our starters (or move Ty back to Tackle- but then we are right back where we started).

 

Thoughts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm not impressed with their phones, but their bigger screen 4K TVs look really nice. Though I'm still sticking with Samsung for my TVs. So as far as what to do with LG, maybe just get them to drop their line up of phones & really focus on the TVs. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 21
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So yesterday I saw tweets (Maybe from Burgundy Blog?) that said the team was going to try putting Nsekhe at left guard. Let him compete with Arie.

 

He was quoting what a few players had said. Which makes sense I guess. We're stronger at tackle than we are at guard.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some possibilities:  Arie K., Kalis, and the UDFA Sean Welsh (Iowa) are a few the Skins have in-house.

 

Open market:  I suspect the Skins could re-sign Lauvao to a very cheap contract, and sadly he's one of the better free agents still available.

 

its possible the Skins are looking for guards who might get released soon, or as a last resort, late pre-season waiver-wires.

 

I don't see the Skins trading for a decent guard.  I suspect the Skins FO are relying on Callahan to coach one up from the grab-bag they've given him to work with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if drafting Christian is a bit of an indictment of Catalina?  Maybe a recognition of wishing they hadn’t cut Kalis?

 

Regardless, although I’d love to have a beast of a LG, it’s the least important of the oline positions and we’ve been used to having a (relatively) weak link there.  As long as we can get Sprinkle on the field more and make some adjustments to the run game, I think we can get by with whoever wins the spot.  

 

My only real fear is that Roullier and the LG struggle a bit as Roullier gains more experience.  I have faith in him (maybe too much), but C is not an easy position to excel at early on.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the team will see what it's got at LG during camp.  If there are issues and teams don't release a decent LG then Skins could trade a 2019 pick to acquire a good one.  Many options and plenty of time to evaluate.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Think the team will see what it's got at LG during camp.  If there are issues and teams don't release a decent LG then Skins could trade a 2019 pick to acquire a good one.  Many options and plenty of time to evaluate.

 

Add to that any possible June 1 cuts that might show up.  Now that we've addressed 2 of our biggest needs in the draft (DL and RB), the glaring holes seem to be less.  Even if it's a stop gap situation til the next draft, I'd imagine our starting LG isn't on the roster yet.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of now, Alex Boone is the best option out there. His best fit is for a Harbaugh 49ers type of power scheme. With Guice in there, we could use a road grader like him. If Arie can beat him out, then great but he'd be great insurance

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point now that the draft is over, it doesn't matter what I think they'll do, it's what they're going to do.  They are going to try Ty at LG again and if doesn't work, they're going to panic (which means they'll either do something desperate or freeze like a deer in headlights and let the car hit them when the season starts)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ty isn't a guard. I don't see any way they try him there. They would probably be more likely to move Trent inside and play Ty at tackle. I don't think we wind up doing that either. I think we probably either roll with what we have and maybe sign Lauvao, or possibly sign a post June 1 cut. Next year, we probably take a plug and play LG relatively high. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think we probably either roll with what we have and maybe sign Lauvao

 

Re-signing Lauvao isn't doing anything. ;) 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank god we still have this hole at left guard. 

Otherwise what would we have left to over analyze and obsess over. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't think they will be effective in shortyardage or at the goaline without real improvement in the interior OL.   

Edited by Veryoldschool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's any harm in experimenting with different tackles sliding to guard. There's no guarantee it would work, but the prospect of getting your top-5 OL on the field at once is attractive to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Ty can't be a good idea.... he's 6'9. He's the perfect tackle, not inside Guard

Not sure if Ty Nskeke is the long term solution at guard but hes the biggest human I’ve ever met. Met him at the gym a few weeks ago and he was doing one legged lunges with a 90lb dumbbell like it was nothing

13FB9EE5-8D5A-43C3-8A50-D8F7873DD21D.jpeg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

At this point now that the draft is over, it doesn't matter what I think they'll do, it's what they're going to do.  They are going to try Ty at LG again and if doesn't work, they're going to panic (which means they'll either do something desperate or freeze like a deer in headlights and let the car hit them when the season starts)

 

With all due respect I believe it's you who is panicking. They seem to have a plan. You may not like it, but it does not mean they are just sitting back. 

 

Let me ask you this, based on who was on the board when they took Christain (74), what guard would you have preferred they take? Not just the position, but the exact player? I ask this because as I looked at the board at the time, there was not a guard on the board worth a 3rd rd pick. 

 

The next guard taken after Christian was Alex Cappa from Humbolt State at 94. He was a pretty big reach and I believe played T in college. He played against very low competition and only reached peoples radar due to a good combine. But if we take him at 74, that's an even crazier reach than 94. 

 

The next G taken was Tyrell Crosby by the Lions in the 5th rd at 153. And he also actually a tackle they project to be a G - something the Redskins are planning to do, just maybe not with Christian. 

 

The fact is the reason they did not go Guard is because there were not any there. They would have to traded down or up to get say Hernandez, Nelson, and Braden Smith - the top 3 guards in the class and the only ones worth a top draft pick. But then you do not get Guice or or Payne depending on which way you went.  

 

There were some tackles you could look at moving to G, but how is that different than what they did? So please, exactly what gaurd taken after 74 would you have taken? 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Orlando Franklin has something left in the tank we're not aware of?  Obviously not a long term solution but could bridge until next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

With all due respect I believe it's you who is panicking. They seem to have a plan. You may not like it, but it does not mean they are just sitting back. 

 

 

I'm not panicking, I'm angry, there's a difference.  And I've tried to make clear that we never should of got all the way to the third round for this question of what to do at LG to show up, this is something we shoulda been talking about in FA if we planned to use our first two picks on different positions. We also didn't draft a single interior linemen, so we've done nothing to address the biggest weakness on our oline.

 

I mentioned this in one of the other threads, Texans took someone 6 spots after us that was projected as a better fit for interior lineplay but experience at LT tackle (from SEC as well):

 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/martinas-rankin?id=32462018-0002-5601-845a-acb4f8dd89a0

 

I would've been more supportive of that since we're talking about projects in the third round.  I went off the way I did because I asked if the guy we drafted could move to LG and was told "no" by multiple people, so please don't come back and say that was the plan after the fact.  Stop trying to rationalize something after the fact instead of asking if it was rational to begin with, we should've never been in that situation to begin with.  Hell, trade down if you don't want to reach, we just did that to get Guice.

 

Edit:  To be clear, our third round pick is the only one in this draft I did not like.  

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

I'm not panicking, I'm angry, there's a difference.  And I've tried to make clear that we never should of got all the way to the third round for this question of what to do at LG to show up, this is something we shoulda been talking about in FA if we planned to use our first two picks on different positions. We also didn't draft a single interior linemen, so we've done nothing to address the biggest weakness on our oline.

 

I mentioned this in one of the other threads, Texans took someone 6 spots after us that was projected as a better fit for interior lineplay but experience at LT tackle (from SEC as well):

 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/martinas-rankin?id=32462018-0002-5601-845a-acb4f8dd89a0

 

I would've been more supportive of that since we're talking about projects in the third round.  I went off the way I did because I asked if the guy we drafted could move to LG and was told "no" by multiple people, so please don't come back and say that was the plan after the fact.  Stop trying to rationalize something after the fact instead of asking if it was rational to begin with, we should've never been in that situation to begin with.  Hell, trade down if you don't want to reach, we just did that to get Guice.

 

 

You are angry I get it, but you need to stop being angry with me. I asked you a rational question with specifics to support it. I am not rationalizing anything or doing anything after the fact. I said specially they may have a plan to move someone to G just not Christian. Also, they may just see Christian as someone that can move to Guard. Just because a bunch of ESers say he can't move does not make it fact. 

 

Ok you wanted them to get a G in FA. There are still opportunities to sign or trade for a player. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's also entirely possible they believe they have the G they want in house. I do not say that to be a smart ass I promise. I mean that sincerely. 

 

I am not the biggest fan of the organization and I still wish Bruce Allen would find a door to go out of. I believe most of any success they have will be despite him not because of him. But at the same time it does appear there are a few people with good minds that are being allowed to make decisions. This was a very good draft. They filled 2 majors needs in a big way and got some really solid depth and some STs players. And they were pretty smart in FA not going crazy but signing some key guys, including resigning some key players. 

 

Due to their frugality they still have money to make other moves. It's not September yet. Let's see what they put on the field and how it works. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

 

Add to that any possible June 1 cuts that might show up.  Now that we've addressed 2 of our biggest needs in the draft (DL and RB), the glaring holes seem to be less.  Even if it's a stop gap situation til the next draft, I'd imagine our starting LG isn't on the roster yet.  

There are no 1 June cuts and haven't been for years.  That said my money is on Welsh as the new starting guard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

I'm not panicking, I'm angry, there's a difference.  And I've tried to make clear that we never should of got all the way to the third round for this question of what to do at LG to show up, this is something we shoulda been talking about in FA if we planned to use our first two picks on different positions. We also didn't draft a single interior linemen, so we've done nothing to address the biggest weakness on our oline.

 

I mentioned this in one of the other threads, Texans took someone 6 spots after us that was projected as a better fit for interior lineplay but experience at LT tackle (from SEC as well):

 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/martinas-rankin?id=32462018-0002-5601-845a-acb4f8dd89a0

 

I would've been more supportive of that since we're talking about projects in the third round.  I went off the way I did because I asked if the guy we drafted could move to LG and was told "no" by multiple people, so please don't come back and say that was the plan after the fact.  Stop trying to rationalize something after the fact instead of asking if it was rational to begin with, we should've never been in that situation to begin with.  Hell, trade down if you don't want to reach, we just did that to get Guice.

 

Edit:  To be clear, our third round pick is the only one in this draft I did not like.  

 

 

Something in my gut tells me we wanted Hernandez at 44 and since he was gone, we went about it the way we did.  

 

I agree we should have had SOMETHING in place that is better than the bandaid we have now... but looking realistically at what players like Spencer Long got, picking up a G this offseason is not the most economical process.  I would imagine now we can focus hard on that position since we filled most of the other holes we had via the draft.  

11 minutes ago, nonniey said:

There are no 1 June cuts and haven't been for years.  That said my money is on Welsh as the new starting guard.

 

 

**june 1 cut designations**

 

 

of course that usually goes down PRIOR to the draft, so the possibilities are minimal at this point. 

Edited by OVCChairman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

There are some possibilities:  Arie K., Kalis, and the UDFA Sean Welsh (Iowa) are a few the Skins have in-house.

 

Open market:  I suspect the Skins could re-sign Lauvao to a very cheap contract, and sadly he's one of the better free agents still available.

 

its possible the Skins are looking for guards who might get released soon, or as a last resort, late pre-season waiver-wires.

 

I don't see the Skins trading for a decent guard.  I suspect the Skins FO are relying on Callahan to coach one up from the grab-bag they've given him to work with.

From some of my reading about Christian, I suspect they also take a hard look at him as a guard.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now