Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

I'm not trying to derail this thread or start a tiff or anything, but I did want to say:

I, for one, feel way better about Derrius joining an offense led by Alex Smith than if he were joining one led by Kirk Cousins. When I think of who'd be better for a young, impressionable, potentially "at-risk" stud talent to develop under, it's the grizzled been there-done that unfazed composed vet that comforts me. Just wanted to throw that out there. Doesn't hurt that we got the 3rd back too. ;)

I am excited to see him in action. I appreciate how aggressive he is running the ball, but does he have patience to find the seams or does he just run hard regardless if its open or not.

Also, I usually prefer runners more lean and nimble ala LeVeon Bell and LeSean McCoy because they tend to be more shifty and better receivers unlike the bulky stocky backs but, you never know and this guy could surprise.

31 minutes ago, dyst said:

I am excited to see him in action. I appreciate how aggressive he is running the ball, but does he have patience to find the seams or does he just run hard regardless if its open or not.

His vision, patience and instincts are off the chart good. 

Derrius Guice’s high school coach spills the beans on his behavior

BATON ROUGE, La. — As one of Derrius Guice’s high school football coaches, Gabe Fertitta is all too familiar with the type of trouble his talented former running back is capable of getting in to.

While Guice was slipping from the first round of this year’s NFL draft as reports surfaced about off-field behavior affecting his stock, Fertitta couldn’t help but think of the incident where it was clear the running back might be going down the wrong path.

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/lsu-football-derrius-guice-high-school-coach-nfl-draft

8 hours ago, dyst said:

Also, I usually prefer runners more lean and nimble ala LeVeon Bell and LeSean McCoy because they tend to be more shifty and better receivers unlike the bulky stocky backs but, you never know and this guy could surprise.

That's the thing.

Derrius is actually shifty and nimble....and that's combined with power.

Just watch some of his highlights.

In particular, focus on his feet.

I am flat out stoked we picked Guice. But, there’s no doubt his 2017 performance is not as good as 2016 where he looked like the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders. I’m hoping he gets back to his 2016 self. Anyone know about the progress of his injury? 

33 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

That's the thing.

Derrius is actually shifty and nimble....and that's combined with power.

Just watch some of his highlights.

In particular, focus on his feet.

These kids are judged by an unfair standard. I bet there isn't a single college kid that wouldn't hang out with Lil Wayne, given the opportunity. As long as he isn't smoking up and getting suspended, who cares?

10 hours ago, dyst said:

Not to be a jerk, but it doesn’t seem like you have much of a handle on him as a runner.  

Guice is patient, shifty (and powerful) and is not bulky... so no, I wouldn’t at all say he ‘could surprise’.  

Now, as a receiver, sure, he could surprise people.  I don’t think he’s a back that will make receiving seem effortless, but I think he can make a difference there and will be able to play all 3 downs.  Blocking and receiving are the two areas I think he has room to improve, but I have no doubt he can be pretty good at both (at the least) with some experience and coaching.  

I spent some time trying to find out what Guice's injury was.  First off, he injured himself in 2017 Spring Camp with an "undisclosed injury."  I can't yet find any info on what that injury was but it didn't prevent him from playing in the season opener.  But clearly, it is a lingering injury the coaches wanted to help heal as Guice was limited to about 20 carries per game throughout the 2017 season. 

He injured his left knee in the loss to Mississippi State late in the third quarter.  Or, maybe reinjured his knee?  He limped off the field and did not return.  He was planning on skipping the following game against Syracuse but opted to play in part, I believe, because it was a good chance to run for 200+ yards as Leonard Fournette did in 2015.  But Guice only ran in the first half for a measly 8 rushes for 17yds. His knee clearly affecting his performance.

Then Guice missed the Troy game to heal his knee.  That week, unranked Troy beat LSU in a shocker.  Guice returned to play #21 ranked Florida for a needed road win but only had 17 attempts for 53 yards and zero touchdowns.  Guise had a better showing when they upset Auburn where he ran for 78 yards on 20 attempts for a paltry 3.5 avg..  Guise finally had his breakthrough game against Ole Miss when he ran 22 times for a whopping 276 yards.  The next week, #1 Alabama shut down the LSU rushing attack as Guice had only 73 yards on 19 attempts in that loss.  Guise had a good bounce-back game against unranked Arkansas as he ran 21 times for 148 yards and 3 touchdowns.  Clearly, we can see a pattern of limiting Guice to about 20 attempts per game.  The next two games against Tennessee and Texas A&M went well for Guice.  99 yards against Tenn and 148 against A&M.

The loss to Notre Dame in the Citrus Bowl had Guice running respectably, but folks were hoping for more than 99 yards on 21 attempts with zero TDs.  He did break off a 31 yarder but was tackled before he could score.

With the loss of key lineman in 2016 and the banged up knee before the 2017 season even started, it's no wonder we didn't see the Guice of 2016.  Clearly, you can see the lack of Barry Sander-like cuts when compared to the 2016 season. A lot of yards were left on the table in 2017 had he been able to make those cuts.  His 2017 top speed also looked noticeably slower but he still ran a 4.49 at the combine, but Guice has been timed at 4.40 prior to 2017.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_399a5386-9d58-11e7-893b-afd8f61e8865.html

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/ed-orgeron-updates-lsu-rb-derrius-guices-status-citrus-bowl

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=177244

I guess most of us (me included) can get snarky and over the top at times in selling for or against the players we like and don't.    Hearing though Sheehan do it relentlessly on radio is grating on me about Guice.  It will be fun if and when Guice proves to be the stud.

Sheehan went on and on in the past about how much he respects Clinton Portis' and Cooley's opinion about players -- especially Portis when it comes to running backs.  Sheehan has the massive man crash on Kerryon Johnson thinking he's right up there with Barkley and Guice is good but nothing special.  To him Guice is legitimately the 7th best back in the draft.

Anyway, first Cooley and then Portis on their film reviews somewhat downplay K. Johnson as good but nothing special.  So Sheehan ignores their take.  Cooley first has the man crush on Guice then loses it after watching the Alabama game, also he has no clue about the 2016 versus 2017 aspect of the player.  Portis thinks Guice is a stud and worthy of the 13th pick in the first round.  Sheehan brushes all of that aside.

Then today, he goes I bet Guice didn't just fall because of those rumors but because teams saw Guice the way he did as a guy that is inferior to the guys who went ahead of him.   Only reason why I am posting this is I got a kick out of Keim when he was just on his show.  Keim goes he text'd a personnel guy from another NFL team about Guice and he responded:  Beast!!!!

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Now, as a receiver, sure, he could surprise people.  I don’t think he’s a back that will make receiving seem effortless, but I think he can make a difference there and will be able to play all 3 downs.  Blocking and receiving are the two areas I think he has room to improve, but I have no doubt he can be pretty good at both (at the least) with some experience and coaching.  

I agree with you, the passing game is his biggest area for improvement.  He's not going to be Alvin Kamara next season.  All I remember ever seeing him run at LSU were flares and little delayed hooks at the LoS out of a singleback formation.  It's going to take a minute for him to learn to run routes.  But he actually looks like he has fairly natural hands.  He's raring to turn up field when they throw it to him, but I don't remember seeing him drop it.  And of course he's a fearsome runner after the catch, with home run hitting ability.

He's inexperienced in the passing game, but I actually think he's got quite a bit of upside there.  He's an unpolished diamond.

@stevemcqueen1Agree with all of that.  Whichever article it was had a gif to show he let’s balls into his body sometimes, but I really questioned whether the linebacker got a finger on it.  The ball came in funny and the backers reaction seemed to indicate he felt he’d made a difference.  

His hands looked fine to me, and I didn’t see any problems with him as a receiver... he just didn’t look ‘super smooth’ doing it.  Definitely not a concern of mine at this time.  

9 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

O Christ, he's already partying with rappers?! I got a bad feeling about this one

Did you read the second tweet?  Lil Wayne founded the sports agency that Guice is signed with.  They're clearly holding up his jersey and celebrating the fact that he got drafted.

This is how dumb narratives about players being selfish or thuggish get started.

Archived