Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time for some new states? Several states wants to succeed from their urban areas.

88Comrade2000

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Rural California wants a divorce from rich California

As we grow more partisan.  We see that divide between rural areas and more urban areas.  Basically, the red vs blue divided within the states.  The more redder parts want to split off from the more bluer parts.

Is it time for for more states?

I've said for years that we need MORE Congressmen, if this is the way to achieve that then Im all for it.

3 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I've said for years that we need MORE Congressmen, if this is the way to achieve that then Im all for it.

(I believe from 8th grade Civics) The number of Congressmen is limited by the number of the seats in the House (and by seats, I mean actual physical seats).  You'd either have to expand the House chamber or create a situation where some days some people would not be able to be seated in the House.

13 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Rural California wants a divorce from rich California

As we grow more partisan.  We see that divide between rural areas and more urban areas.  Basically, the red vs blue divided within the states.  The more redder parts want to split off from the more bluer parts.

Is it time for for more states?

What we need is leadership. Which is basically what @Kilmer17 said 

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

(I believe from 8th grade Civics) The number of Congressmen is limited by the number of the seats in the House (and by seats, I mean actual physical seats).  You'd either have to expand the House chamber or create a situation where some days some people would not be able to be seated in the House.

I'd be okay with expansion.  Space limitations seems like a really dumb reason to not do something that would benefit the country.  

Population is going to do nothing but go up, so it makes sense to compensate for that with more house seats (make room bigger, so be it).

I think letting red and blue sections of states separate is a really bad idea. Virginia is a perfect example where that would just blow up in their face.  Nova leaves, Virginia will become Kansas.

I think the crux of the problem really isn't the national level.

The rural parts of states like California, feel the state government is geared towards the interests of the urban areas.

So, they want to split off.    

That divide does tend to be along partisan lines.  More liberal urban areas vs more conservative rural areas.

You've see the maps after some of the recent elections; just where the red/blue divide is.

As far as what Kilmer17 is talking about, maybe he has a point there also.  I'm not sure more congressman will mean things would be any different at the national level; though maybe their needs to be reassessment to see if we have enough congresscritters to represent us. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Population is going to do nothing but go up, so it makes sense to compensate for that with more house seats (make room bigger, so be it).

I think letting red and blue sections of states separate is a really bad idea. Virginia is a perfect example where that would just blow up in their face.  Nova leaves, Virginia will become Kansas.

If I can find it, I'll post it.   There was this article I read that made a proposal for more states.

They recommended splitting:

California into 2 states.

New York City split off from rest of New York into 2 states.

South Florida from the rest of Florida into 2 states.

North Virginia from the rest of Virginia into 2 states.

The Chicago area from the rest of Illinois into 2 states. 

I even saw one that split up Texas, not sure if it was the same article though.

Maybe we just boot California and Texas and split 2 other states, to remain at 50.

Rural Northern California is in for a rude awakening when their main source of county income (tax dollars from Sacramento) dries up. Not to mention that water would be non existent for farms since it would be coming from out of state.

And if we are talking about the State of Jefferson, then it's population would be what...2.3 million? They'd still have little representation.

But yeah sure..let's have those idiots break off. Makes perfect sense.

14 minutes ago, twa said:

Just move NY to Jersey, give south Florida to Cuba, make NOVA part of Maryland(along with DC)

and tell the rest of them to quit whinging.

I favor making California and Texas their own nations.  Hillary can then move to Texas and run for President of Texas.

Terrible idea, the whole Electoral College horse**** gets worse if you add AR15esee and Floriduhh or Michigunrights

We need to be reaching out to some of the rural areas to help them move into the 20th century.

1 hour ago, twa said:

Just move NY to Jersey, give south Florida to Cuba, make NOVA part of Maryland(along with DC)

and tell the rest of them to quit whinging.

If Cuba becomes a state as well I'd be all for this. (Note I'd also be up for adding all the Mexican states and Central American countries as added states with the stipulation that English is the national language and we work diligently to make it those states primary languages within 3 generations).

Oops my neocon inclinations showing.

26 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Terrible idea, the whole Electoral College horse**** gets worse if you add AR15esee and Floriduhh or Michigunrights

Speaking of which, we should come up with some good names for these new states.  They've already proposed Jeffereson for Northern California (boooring!), but there must be better names we can find.

What would you call southern Florida, Cubiglades?

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'll just note that the genius drawing the map of New California included San Jose in the rural part of the state.

San Jose is the 10th largest city in the United States.  

image.png

It also counts SD county as "rural", I believe. Not to mention Contra Costa county (where I live in the East Bay) would be part of this new state.

Friggin morons.

26 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'll just note that the genius drawing the map of New California included San Jose in the rural part of the state.

San Jose is the 10th largest city in the United States.  

I mean, tax dollars gotta come from somewhere.

The only new states I could realistically see are places like Puerto Rico. They probably need the muscle that comes with being an actual state versus a territory. I go back and forth on DC. It seems a raw deal that they pay taxes without representation.

Archived