Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time for some new states? Several states wants to succeed from their urban areas.

88Comrade2000

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

There was a proposal to give D.C. a congresscritter and balance that out with Utah, a red state, getting a congresscritter.   The GOP wasn't for that.

The land that is D.C. today was taken from Maryland; so D.C. citizens should be able to vote for Maryland's U.S. Senators.

That’s a bandaid on a bigger problem. 

If were going to increase the number of reps, then let’s do it all the way!

the land that is today west virgina/kentucky/tennessee used to be virginia ... should they all get to vote for Virginia senators? 

since i live in virginia... should i get to vote for prime minister of England?  or how about since i live along the potomac.... do i get to vote for the  patowomak leaders today?    

Those new red states would be some broke ass municipalities. A significant portion of state economic activity is generated in urban areas. The whole idea is stupid, but it looks like they really didn't think it through before writing that article.

45 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

That solution was for giving D.C. representation and to keep GOP from whining about a blue seat; they gave a red state a new one also. 

11 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Those new red states would be some broke ass municipalities. A significant portion of state economic activity is generated in urban areas. The whole idea is stupid, but it looks like they really didn't think it through before writing that article.

A significant portion is also spent in urban areas, and for the means to supply them.

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

Apparently yes in last three Statehood plebe-cites the vote was for statehood. It is in Congress court now (and has been since 2012) and they need to act on it. Statehood is long past due.

But aren't the votes like usually 51-49?  Not exactly a sweeping majority.

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The land that is D.C. today was taken from Maryland; so D.C. citizens should be able to vote for Maryland's U.S. Senators.

Well the land was actually taken from the Native Americans.  Are we supposed to start letting them vote now?!?  Crazy ****.

3 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

We probably need a 3rd house of Congress honestly.

Though I'd like to see what happens if we get rid of gerrymandering first, but having a huge house with a rep for every X people, THE House with 435, and the Senate with 2 each might not be a terrible idea.

Oh and campaign finance reform.  That too first.

47 minutes ago, tshile said:

They want someone to take their debt off their hands.

Pretty sure they otherwise don't want anything to do with it.

No difference between how debt is dealt with between territories and states, and the first votes was before their debt crises.  For a very long time there has been a plurality that wanted Statehood, a minority that wanted to continue as a territory, and small faction that wanted independence. The plurality has now turned into a majority. Congress now needs to act on it.  Really think our South Pacific Island territories should band together and become another state.

Too many Americans seem to forget the people of these islands are Americans, making them states should mitigate that.

the populations in the remaining US pacific island territories is pretty miniscule....no?   perhaps the fed subsidizes Hawaii incorporating them?   (as well as subsidizing some form of transport between the far flung islands and Hawaii?)  

and i am serious about thinking that S. Dakota, N Dakota, Montana, Wyoming Idaho  (and probably Alaska too) should be merged into one state....that would STILL be smaller than Maryland.  

I sympathize with the idea that local communities need better representatives for their specific needs & concerns.  California is a very diverse state, there is a lot going on here,  It's known for The Bay Area & The greater Los Angeles area by people who don't live here, but really this state offers some of pretty much anything/everything you can find elsewhere.  I don't think splitting the state up is the answer though.  

splitting California probably IS an answer  ..  just not the answer THEY want.... to just shave off the fly-over, Hate-radio portions so that they can wallow in their insularity.

If you split Cal in two... the remaining portions would STILL be the 2nd, and 3rd biggest states.   Cut cal into 3 parts, and cut texas and florida both in half as well.    

• 1 month later...

Proposal To Break California Into 3 States Could Make November Ballot

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Voters could get a chance to decide whether California should be split into three states this November.

Venture capitalist Tim Draper, who authored an initiative to break up the Golden State, says it has received enough signatures to qualify for the November ballot.

Draper says the initiative, which he calls the “CAL 3” has more than 600,000 signatures and will be submitted to election officials next week.

The initiative needed signatures from 365,880 registered voters – 5 percent of the total votes cast for governor in the 2014 election – to qualify for the ballot.

“This is an unprecedented show of support on behalf of every corner of California to create three state governments that emphasize representation, responsiveness, reliability and regional identity,” Draper said.

Splitting California into three states would require congressional approval.

The initiative proposes a central state that would consist of Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey and San Benito counties; a southern state made up of Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera and Mono counties; and the 40 remaining counties grouped into a northern states.

The new states would be named by its residents, according to the initiative.

Draper said he conceived the initiative out of a belief that “the citizens of the whole state would be better served by three smaller state governments while preserving the historical boundaries of the various counties, cities and towns.”

Click on the link for the full article

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

4. Why would anyone want to lose Santa Clara and SF county from their State?

5. This is dumb.

Many there seem to think less of them than you ,or resent their influence.

I agree it is dumb, there are better solutions

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

4 of the 58 counties here contribute to more than 50% of the states GDP.

And how much is spent on them and enabling them?

I too live in a economic powerhouse county, doesn't make my opinion more valuable or vote more important.

GDP is a limited metric

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, Warhead36 said:

Fifty states has a nice ring to it. If anything some states should merge.

Maybe so, but we in here in Virginia are not taking back them low life West VA,, non-educated, indoor plumbing lacking, birth control avoiding, and toxic gas creating cousin lovers.

BTW, there are some provisions in the Constitution that need to be met to split/merge states. 

Tbf there's probably no difference between Pulaski county (and others west of it) and most if WV. ?

Back on topic.. legislation by proposition blows. And I can't think of many good ideas that have come from it in California. This multi-state one is silly. Southern California would be cut off from the free water it gets from NorCal. So would the red counties coalition (many of which rely on it for farm land). 

Archived