Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Pryor worth Keeping?

Reaper Skins

I know we have a catch all thread for free agency, but I wanted to make a new thread specifically to discuss some thoughts I've had regarding Terrelle Pryor lately.

A recent article stated that our plan is to let him test free agency, but that it is in no way certain he is not back with the team next year:

"Terrelle Pryor's season was a disappointment by everyone's standards, but it doesn't mean his Washington Redskins career is finished.

According to ESPN NFL Insider Josina Anderson citing a team source, the plan is for the team to allow the wide receiver to test the free agent market to determine his value before making any decision on bringing him back. Pryor signed a one-year deal with the Redskins as a free agent last season.

Pryor was hailed a coup after posting his first 1,000-yard season with the Cleveland Browns in 2016. A gifted athlete and tireless worker, the quarterback-turned-wideout showcased both qualities in seemingly endless Instagram posts and practice highlight clips. It failed to translate into on-field production however. The former Ohio State star struggled to adjust to life with the Redskins, hauling in only 20 passes for 240 yards and one touchdown on the season. Pryor appeared in nine games -- starting two -- before being placed on Injured Reserve on November 21st with an ankle injury suffered in Week 2.

With Alex Smith at the helm, the Redskins will look to add targets to their generally limited wide receiver corps. Whether that includes re-adding Pryor remains to be seen."

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Redskins-to-let-Terrelle-Pryor-test-free-agency-per-report-115660547

The part in bold is what intrigues me.  I'm actually somewhat hopeful that the coaching staff and front office is willing to give Pryor a bit of slack for transitioning last year.  Hopefully they have more patience than the fanbase.  It would be a shame if we spent a year investing in him with such a short sighted view, let him walk for nothing, and then saw his now NFL receiver level talent go to work for another team. 

Especially when our team is still hurting for playmakers at the receiver position.  Obviously his season was a dissapointment due to injury and not being able to get on the same page as Cousins, but that may actually work in our favor going forward.  If we can get him this year for less than last year, with a whole year of playbook and receiver training under his belt, I'd probably be even more excited about his potential than I was last year.  I would certainly hope the coaching staff takes a long hard look at him before looking outside the organization for solutions.

The craziest thing to me, and also the biggest argument I would make towards keeping Pryor, is that there seems to already be a tailor-made role for him in Gruden's offense. 

I was randomly watching highlight footage of the Bengals during Gruden's time there, and one player who kept popping up was Mohamed Sanu.  Gruden frequently called creative plays that got Sanu the ball in space, had him lined up in the backfield, and even had him throwing the ball on numerous occasions.  Redskins fans will certainly remember Sanu's first pass, its the first one in his highlight video below.

My point is, can Pryor take on the role Sanu used to play in Gruden's Bengals offense?  Off script plays that catch the defenses flat footed were a big part of Jay's gameplan in Cincinnati, and while we've seen some of it here (the fake punt to Dunbar for example), we definitely need more help adding game changing, momentum shifting plays to our repertoire.   

Does Gruden see potential in Pryor to run the types of plays seen above here in Washington?  Was this part of the reason our coaching staff wanted to bring Pryor in the first place?  Switch Green and Sanu out for Doctson and Pryor and pretty much all of the above play calling could theoretically still be carried over.

as the article stated, the Redskins are still looking for playmakers at receiver.  Especially with a new Qb coming in, one would assume Smith will be relying on his receivers to help him out when plays break down and he is forced to go off script.  Last year it seemed like Pryor's biggest challenge was precise route running, which was a death sentence for a QB like Cousins who is extremely tempo based in order to be effective.  All indications are that Smith is an upgrade when it comes to scrambling and extending plays.  Pryor's route tree knowledge will hopefully be improved after an entire season of study, but even if it isn't, his off-script playmaking ability that he showed in Cleveland would appear to be better suited with Smith at the helm than Cousins.  It can certainly still be an asset to our offense going forward. 

If given the chance to let his natural size and speed shine through, especially through creative looks like Gruden used to give Sanu in Cincinnati, I think there's a good chance Pryor can still be a huge untapped resource for this team going forward.

23 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

as the article stated, the Redskins are still looking for playmakers at receiver. 

This part of the quoted article gives us all we need to think about in regards to resigning Pryor. Pryor = bust = not a playmaker

It depends on cost. If he is cheap - let him compete. If he wants the same money or even half of that, let him walk. 

I was very hopeful when they signed him. But it was clear he could not actually function within the offense. Some of that may be rapport with Kirk but he seemed lost out there most of the time. 

Either way I would not rely on him as one of the top WRs. More of a luxury - not someone to rely on. 

I am pretty sure that from midway through last season the Browns were actively trying to recruit him to go back to Cleveland and his social media responses suggested that was what he wanted.  They have a ridiculous amount of money to spend and a better history with him than us so it seems likely this happens.  The only possible way I would consider him here is on a low value deal with minimal guarantees so we can move on at the end of training camp with no pain if it does not work out. 

I don't think Pryor is someone we should rely on to help the WR situation. He should've heeded early advice and switched to receiver immediately upon entering the NFL. There's a strong possibility that he'll simply return to Cleveland. Could work out there, but not in the offense that we run. And if that one-year deal was a prove it deal, then he certainly doesn't deserve anything further.

If I recall, Pryor had serious trouble catching the football. I like your optimism but If you're being paid 8 milion dollars to catch the footbal in the NFL you damn well better catch the football or someone else will take your job. I think that's where I'm at with Pryor....he was a HUGE disappointment. 

I think TK or someone already hinted that there might already be a wink-wink type agreement between he and the Browns. If so, I won't be upset.

Really thought TP was going to go off in this offense, boy was I wrong. As mentioned earlier, there will be players more deserving of his roster spot. Better to move on.

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

If I recall, Pryor had serious trouble catching the football. I like your optimism but If you're being paid 8 milion dollars to catch the footbal in the NFL you damn well better catch the football or someone else will take your job. I think that's where I'm at with Pryor....he was a HUGE disappointment. 

I would say that he set himself up for utter disappointment - the way he was getting all that hype in the media, talking constantly on twitter about all the training he was doing, it set the expectations so high anything other than an eye-popping season would have been considered a disappointment.  

44 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I would say that he set himself up for utter disappointment - the way he was getting all that hype in the media, talking constantly on twitter about all the training he was doing, it set the expectations so high anything other than an eye-popping season would have been considered a disappointment.  

I agree that there was no way to live up to the hype.  He did, as @kingdaddy said, have trouble even doing very basic things.  Like literally catching the ball.  Not just tough catches, but between the numbers or right in the hands.

Sanu is a great route runner who can catch the ball.

Pryor doesn’t run great routes and drops too many passes

While I do think that Alex is the better more accurate passer which could lead to better production if they kept him that to me is a big if. 

Since they could sign him and it not cost them compensatory picks like signing a different player I’m not completely against the move and I’m not for it either. It would be a meh move with low upside to me

Archived