Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

The end of the game sucked for sure from around 4 minutes on. But quite frankly the intentional grounding was a bogus call. But I've seen that type of pass many times because a receiver and QB go the wrong way.

That said 1 play does not lose a game. It's a combination of it all.

I think we need to get Monte back in there. Hall was just pathetic today. He acted like he never played football today. Also Spaight was just as bad. He has a lot of muscles and all but seems to always be out of position and misses tackles. Not impressed with him at all. 

Just now, Alexa said:

I think we need to get Monte back in there. Hall was just pathetic today. He acted like he never played football today. Also Spaight was just as bad. He has a lot of muscles and all but seems to always be out of position and misses tackles. Not impressed with him at all. 

Those two are ****ing garbage. I’m so tired of teams in this city holding onto washed up old guys out of some sense of loyalty...even though they’ve never won anything here.

Hall was food all game. Speight just isn’t an NFL player. 

Id add fat ass Stacy McGee there as well 

The Saints were a better team.  It really shouldn't have been this close.  They could have dominated by sticking with the running game.

Offense:  I think Cousins had an excellent game until the 4th quarter and overtime.  Early on he gave the wideouts a chance to make plays and it really made the offense dynamic.  Perrine looked like a competent player and was useful throughout.  Late in the game Cousins just straight up choked.  The intentional grounding play was a headscratcher but everything that followed was typical nervous Kirk.  Meanwhile Brees put on a "franchise QB" clinic on the game tying drive.

Defense:  The Saints could do whatever they want and the Skins did well to stay competitive.  Sean Payton needs to be slapped for not sticking with the running game.  His playcalling nearly cost his team the game.  Fortunately for them, he remembered he had a running game in OT.

3 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Montae started but got hurt early on... D Hall has not been great his last two games ... We are really missing Montae's speed back there

Whoever #39 is [ Swearinger? ]  was a scared little **** at the end of the 4th.

The N.O.  ball carrier or WR, whoever it was, ran, cut, and came face to face with Swearinger, and Swearinger put his hands up like ' please don't hit me ' and the guy ran right by him. At times he plays good, and other times he's playing for the other team. I couldn't believe it.

36 minutes ago, drowland said:

It’s like a coach drawing up an out of bounds play in basketball for 3 pt shot with a shooter who shoots a low % from 3 pt land.  WTF.  

If Gruden was a basketball player his offensive strategy would be based on keeping Shaquille O'Neal on the three point line and trying to get him fouled so Shaq could shoot free throws.

What really hurts about this game is that we should be celebrating and euphoric right now. We know it. The Saints know it. The Redskins know it. Even the cheating refs know it.

OK, guys ... looking for a bit of a favor here, because I'd rather hear how fellow fans describe it than go back and pore through a play by play. 

I left for a movie when we were up 31-16. I was so happy. Couldn't wait to get home and revel in how we beat the freakin' Saints and saved the season again. 

I check the scores during the previews of the movie. I see the Saints have come within 8. I'm nervous, but still ... the odds are long, right? 

I check again a few minutes later (previews STILL running) and see that it's 31-29. Just stop the two point conversion, I think. Nah. Of course not. 

I then get up and walk out of the theater shortly after the movie finally starts and see that the game is over. 

Can someone kindly give me a synopsis, if you can stomach it, of how in the HELL this team gave up that kind of lead that fast? I see that one of the Saints drives was almost 90 yards??? I was so proud of this team when I left. They are so beat up on both sides, and they played with so much heart and fire. I can't believe they let this get away. 

What. The. Hell. Happened.

Thanks. 

I agree that every part of this team has put in their own ingredients into this turd salad.  But I really feel like Bruce/Doug need to be further in the front of everyones line of blame.  

But I also think coaches and QB's get too much blame on most teams when GM's should be looked at more.  How often does a coach get fired because of a crap roster?  And the coaches aren't usually the ones making the roster.

9 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Whoever #39 is [ Swearinger? ]  was a scared little **** at the end of the 4th.

The N.O.  ball carrier or WR, whoever it was, ran, cut, and came face to face with Swearinger, and Swearinger put his hands up like ' please don't hit me ' and the guy ran right by him. At times he plays good, and other times he's playing for the other team. I couldn't believe it.

Swearinger is 36 

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Can someone kindly give me a synopsis, if you can stomach it, of how in the HELL this team gave up that kind of lead that fast? I see that one of the Saints drives was almost 90 yards??? I was so proud of this team when I left. They are so beat up on both sides, and they played with so much heart and fire. I can't believe they let this get away. 

Thanks. 

We went full Redskins.  No holding back, full-on Redskins.

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

OK, guys ... looking for a bit of a favor here, because I'd rather hear how fellow fans describe it than go back and pore through a play by play. 

I left for a movie when we were up 31-16. I was so happy. Couldn't wait to get home and revel in how we beat the freakin' Saints and saved the season again. 

I check the scores during the previews of the movie. I see the Saints have come within 8. I'm nervous, but still ... the odds are long, right? 

I check again a few minutes later (previews STILL running) and see that it's 31-29. Just stop the two point conversion, I think. Nah. Of course not. 

I then get up and walk out of the theater shortly after the movie finally starts and see that the game is over. 

Thanks. 

In short, the D stop covering. Everyone Brees threw too was open by at least ten yards. They marched up and down the field at will. Cousins led a game winning field goal drive only to be called for intentional grounding with no pass rusher within 3 yards of him. That pushed us out of field goal range. On the next play, Cousins fumbles. 

We get the ball first in overtime. Davis drops a nice fourteen yard pass and then the wheels fall off the offense. It takes the Saints four plays to go 85 yards. No defense whatsoever in their way.

3 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Thanks. 

Defense literally had a lobotomy and put up zero resistance. Imagine 20 yard pass after 20 yard pass against a soft zone 

Offense got in position to win it at the gun but of course they blew it in spectacular fashion with a IG penalty and a sack 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I agree that every part of this team has put in their own ingredients into this turd salad.  But I really feel like Bruce/Doug need to be further in the front of everyones line of blame.  

But I also think coaches and QB's get too much blame on most teams when GM's should be looked at more.  How often does a coach get fired because of a crap roster?  And the coaches aren't usually the ones making the roster.

I don't know. Given how much of our depth is starting it's hard to say the Front Office didn't do their job. The problem is with all the injuries we ran out of depth. YOu don't win the game for 58 minutes and lose in two because the front office failed.

Wow. Thanks for the difficult details. This one is going to hurt awhile, that's for sure. 

It's a really weird game to contextualize. They played so well and overperformed in so many ways, but to get up like that and then utterly collapse on what sounds like all facets of the game ... just mind numbing. And yet ... not. 

Just now, Dissident2 said:

Wow. Thanks for the difficult details. This one is going to hurt awhile, that's for sure. 

It's a really weird game to contextualize. They played so well and overperformed in so many ways, but to get up like that and then utterly collapse on what sounds like all facets of the game ... just mind numbing. And yet ... not. 

It's a situation where, as a Redskins fan, you aren't surprised at all by the results. But as a football fan, you can't help but take a step back and wonder how it was possible.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't know. Given how much of our depth is starting it's hard to say the Front Office didn't do their job. The problem is with all the injuries we ran out of depth. YOu don't win the game for 58 minutes and lose in two because the front office failed.

I guess that depends on if you think we are where we are (better than we should be considering injuries) because of or in spite of our line up and coaching.  

Looking at our RB stable, WR stable, etc I am not sure the front office has given this coaching staff the tools to win.  One could argue that Gruden is doing well with the little he has.

And if you don't agree with that, the GM is Gruden's boss.  So Jays failures are his failures.

Just now, Dissident2 said:

i'll add something about what happened in the last 3 minutes. it wasn't just the redskins that stopped a win from happening. the intentional grounding penalty was BS in my opinion, and from what I've read this evening, most others feel the same way. I don't think it should have been a penalty. kirk was in no "imminent danger" of being sacked when he threw the pass. 

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

I guess that depends on if you think we are where we are (better than we should be considering injuries) because of or in spite of our line up and coaching.  

Looking at our RB stable, WR stable, etc I am not sure the front office has given this coaching staff the tools to win.  One could argue that Gruden is doing well with the little he has.

And if you don't agree with that, the GM is Gruden's boss.  So Jays failures are his failures.

That's fair too. I suppose the question is whether we are looking at this through the spectrum of the season or today's game.

If it's the season, you are more correct. However, this game suggests that the coaches need to take some heat for not forcing the issue with Doctson earlier, by leaving Harris on the Practice Squad, and keeping ineffective players in starting roles while better guys sat on the bench. Kelly was either never healthy enough to start or just shouldn't have been named starter to begin with. Pryor was either too hurt on that bum ankle to play or just couldn't play in Gruden's scheme. That partly falls on the GM, but falls on the HC too.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

That's fair too. I suppose the question is whether we are looking at this through the spectrum of the season or today's game.

If it's the season, you are more correct. However, this game suggests that the coaches need to take some heat for not forcing the issue with Doctson earlier, by leaving Harris on the Practice Squad, and keeping ineffective players in starting roles while better guys sat on the bench. Kelly was either never healthy enough to start or just shouldn't have been named starter to begin with. Pryor was either too hurt on that bum ankle to play or just couldn't play in Gruden's scheme. That partly falls on the GM, but falls on the HC too.

Valid points.  Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  

Just seems like a lot more HC/QB ****ing than GM ****ing.  

Archived