Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FanRag: Brandon Scherff Cements Himself Among Elite Interior OL

Conn

Link To Article

Fanrag isn't super far above Bleacher Report on the sports journalism totem pole, but the author (Brandon Thorn) is a pretty widely respected OL guy on Twitter who is constantly breaking down OL play. 

Not too much I can 'preview' here as there's lots of video clips used as examples in the article, but it's worth a click and a read. 

Details what makes Scherff a special OG, his unique skill-set, and where he's improved since he got into the league. Argues he should be an All-Pro pick this year. 

I know it's tough to avoid the obvious "so was he or wasn't he a good pick at #5 overall and especially over Leonard Williams" debate that's been going on so long here. I was resigned to that when I started the thread. 

I just hope that at least some of the discussion can be about how freaking great he's looking right now, in a vacuum not related to his draft position. How long has it been since we've had an elite interior OL? 

Historically threads like this about non-skill position/non-QB players, and with in-depth breakdowns, don't really do numbers. Which makes sense. 

Personally as someone who isn't a coach, hasn't played in a long time, and was never what you'd call an X's and O's or positional technique genius...its interesting to me to see it broken down, and from someone who I'm pretty sure isn't a Redskins fan. The OL doesn't usually get much in-depth attention, other than broad characterizations of an entire OL unit in regards to yards gained and sacks given up, etc. 

A good Oline is more important than anything else in football. You can overcome the loss of anything else but if your line is swiss cheese then it doesn't matter how many HOFers you have throwing, running or catching the ball. For years we tried the path of all stars no blue collar guys and it failed. Teams seemed to follow suit and all of them failed. NYG for the past few years keep drafting fancy new weapons and guess what? They never fixed their OL and the offense looks like garbage even before all the injuries. Cowboys finally wisened up and now have one of the most potent offenses in football. 

Right now a lot of the talk in NY is about how much of a disappointment Williams is. 

Best pick in the draft since Trent Williams!!..I had my choice of jersey from any player on the skins last Christmas..my first choice was crowder than I changed my mind to Scherff..I'm a proud owner of a Scherff jersey and love it!!..I've always had receiver and tight end and running back jerseys but thought I'd change things up a bit and get an offense of lineman jersey...love Scherff!!

I agree he's really taken it to another level this year. For a guard the guy really stands out during games. He's just mauling people out there. Anytime there's a big screen or run you see him flying into a linebacker or db. Really impressed with him this year. Now we're starting to see the mean destroyer from his college highlights. He was good as a rookie, and 2nd year guy, but this year he's just elevated his game so much more.. Through 6 weeks he's looking elite.

8 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

It's almost like... he WAS a good pick. Crazy since 75% of the board seemed ready to move on from him after a couple of subpar EXHIBITION games.

I don't recall anyone that was ready to move on from him at that point.  There was sort of a Scot bashing party going on at that point in the preseason, with Doctson being hurt, Cravens situation, etc.  But he did look pretty bad, to the point that many of us wondered if he was dealing with injury. Since that time, he's been nothing short of a badass. 

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Really makes me question how good the center is with a guy like Scherff next to him and they still can't run block.

Let the good times Roullier! It's just a matter of time before he steps up...

Thanks @ConnSKINS26 for sharing this! It's fun to watch.

I love The Scherff. I'm hoping we can lock him up and enjoy a long and nasty career.

36 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

I just wish he would stop drawing these 15 yard bogus calls ... I am not knocking on him but the officials should know better ... let the players play 

So I get it ur not knocking on him but ur realy asking a player not to play through the whistle or to man handle the guy in front of him?...I guarantee what drew the flag was his momentum carrying him forward to landing on the opponent the ref seen that and threw the flag for the absolute bs penalty.

4 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Yeah, and "Big Cat" Leonard Williams has exactly ZERO sacks or QB pressures in six games.... not hearing too many people say they wanted to pick him over the Scherff these days!!   :dallas_sucks:

Ya know the fans around these parts are sure head scratchers that's for sure..all I remember reading around here for several years before drafting Scherff was we need to build an offense of line to protect who ever is throwing the ball than we make the brilliant(thank you so much Scotty mcdoogle)pick that I was very happy about but at the same time was hoping to get Landon Collins but still proud to get a stud o lineman and am still very proud we got him.

13 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Ya know the fans around these parts are sure head scratchers that's for sure..all I remember reading around here for several years before drafting Scherff was we need to build an offense of line to protect who ever is throwing the ball than we make the brilliant(thank you so much Scotty mcdoogle)pick that I was very happy about but at the same time was hoping to get Landon Collins but still proud to get a stud o lineman and am still very proud we got him.

I think the problem is that most fans don't know what to look for when it comes to OL. For DL, it's not too hard: sacks, pressures, tackles, etc., are all stats people can find and understand. OL is not as easy to assess. There are no stats on the number of times a guy pancakes opponents, or successfully blocks at 1st level, then hands off the block and goes to 2nd level and engages his man. No stats for number of times an OL takes out more than one defender in a given play. No stats for number of wide open holes to which an OL contributed. So, there is no easy way for your average fan to tell if the OL is a good pick or not. And when you compare a good DL pick to an OL who you can't assess, which would you prefer?

IMHO this is why you can almost always guarantee more support from your average fans for drafting DL over OL.

24 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Yeah, and "Big Cat" Leonard Williams has exactly ZERO sacks or QB pressures in six games.... not hearing too many people say they wanted to pick him over the Scherff these days!!   :dallas_sucks:

It's The Scherff. Capital T on The please... :rofl89:

1 minute ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I think the problem is that most fans don't know what to look for when it comes to OL. For DL, it's not too hard: sacks, pressures, tackles, etc., are all stats people can find and understand. OL is not as easy to assess. There are no stats on the number of times a guy pancakes opponents, or successfully blocks at 1st level, then hands off the block and goes to 2nd level and engages his man. No stats for number of times an OL takes out more than one defender in a given play. No stats for number of wide open holes to which an OL contributed. So, there is no easy way for your average fan to tell if the OL is a good pick or not. And when you compare a good DL pick to an OL who you can't assess, which would you prefer?

IMHO this is why you can almost always guarantee more support from your average fans for drafting DL over OL.

Hey this is very well said excellent point thank you so much for bringing that up. I'm as stupid as **** when it comes to x's and o's I've watched football and been into football my whole life and still don't get it.. I can't read that I guess...that's why I'm a fan and just put my faith in to who ever is making those decisions for my beloved Washington Redskins...and hope the pick pans out...but seriously what you said was a very good point and spot on as well..thanks again 

3 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Great article.  Please take the time to read (and watch videos) through it.  He is an innate blocker with a nasty attitude.  We need more of his ilk.  Thank you ConnSKINS26.  I've always wondered, is the 26 a reference to Portis?  Hail

It is! That was around the time I was really coming into my knowledgeable fanhood...obviously I loved the Skins as a kid (thanks dad) but like many here around my age the Portis/Moss/ST trio were my first real favorite players. Before that it was the tail end of DG's career that I hung onto. 

Archived