Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

ExoDus84

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

yeah I remember.  The Colts are like stalking the Redskins FO. :)

More

Source says the #Redskins did offer Sudfeld a spot on the practice squad. Was a tough decision for him, but he went with the #Eagles.

Wonder what Sudfeld's logic is here. As a QB, going to an new team means a hefty learning curve and the Eagles have a young starter in Wentz and a capable back-up in Foles. So there's little upside. After spending two years learning the Skins system and with Cousins' future so uncertain there seems to be a clear advantage to the Redskins situation. But he didn't choose it, suggesting he really didn't want to come back here. I wonder why...

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Wonder what Sudfeld's logic is here. As a QB, going to an new team means a hefty learning curve and the Eagles have a young starter in Wentz and a capable back-up in Foles. So there's little upside. After spending two years learning the Skins system and with Cousins' future so uncertain there seems to be a clear advantage to the Redskins situation. But he didn't choose it, suggesting he really didn't want to come back here. I wonder why...

You follow this team. Do you really wonder why? :P

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

MoreSource says the #Redskins did offer Sudfeld a spot on the practice squad. Was a tough decision for him, but he went with the #Eagles.

I gotta wonder about the wisdom of that decision. Going from a team who's system he's been learning, with a coach signed long-term and a potential QB opening next year, to a team with a young QB they are building around, and that may just want you for a week to learn a playbook.

Not sure about that one, Nate.

And Jericho can go straight to hell for posting the same thing, saying it better, and beating me by 2 minutes.

22 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yeah if I wanted to get a little Machiavellian here.  Eagles coaching staff sells Sudfeld a bill of goods about how much they love him and they can envision him being their 2nd stringer quickly once he learns their playbook -- Sudfeld signs and then they go to him, hey meet our defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, today you will be co-hosting a review of the Redskins offense in front of the Eagles defense.  And please stick around for any questions tonight while Schwartz puts together the game plan. :)

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Must be bitter.  I can't see any other logical reason he would make that move.  Leaving a system you've learned for two years on a team that has question marks at QB, for a division rival that just drafted their savior last year.

Good shot this is true.  With the uncertainty around Kirk and Colt is a FA soon too -- the Redskins is a better fit than the Eagles.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

yeah I remember.  The Colts are like stalking the Redskins FO. :)

More

Source says the #Redskins did offer Sudfeld a spot on the practice squad. Was a tough decision for him, but he went with the #Eagles.

Hmmm the team with a promising rookie in place or the team with a QB who seems like he's on the verge of leaving for greener pastures.

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

My initial assumption was that it had something to do with McGlouhan (i.e. rumors he's working for Philly), but yeah, he's leaving a pretty good gig here.  

That crossed my mind too.   There is some smoke in my view that Scot could be working with Philly.  He was a Sudfeld guy.   Though I gather so was Doug the way he talked him up after a practice this off season.

20 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Another McGlouhan pick gone.  I know I know we cut him but not wanting to go to our PS to continue his learning process says a lot about this so called "football Players".our ex GM liked.

Scot drafted Nate Sudfeld but it has been said that it was Jay Gruden was the one who wanted him.

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Another McGlouhan pick gone.  I know I know we cut him but not wanting to go to our PS to continue his learning process says a lot about this so called "football Players".our ex GM liked.

Kiper in particular says good drafts are about delivering 2-3 starters.  Parcells, ditto.   A 6th rounder QB not making the team long term -- I'd gather the odds on that happening are about 95% statistically speaking.  It's not a big deal.  6th rounders are fliers.  Looked like they landed on one in 2015 with Jarrett but got unlucky with him.  Keith Marshall (7th rounder) was shining early (according to Gruden) but got unlucky with him, too.  As Kiper likes to say the power of loading up with draft picks is it helps you land more guys in the mix of the crap shoot.  So adding picks is everything.  

The rest of this post isn't directed your way.  Whether its Scot or Bruce or Doug or whomever are making picks now -- I'd gave them a break if the expectations are beyond 2-3 starters.  Statistically speaking the odds are for every pick after round 1 to fail as to landing bonafide starters. 

At the moment, lets look at the "infamous :)" 2016 draft, Doctson looks like he's coming back.  He's practicing today. Guys who watched him in camp think he's the best receiver on the roster.  Lets see how that unfolds.  Fuller is the starting nickle corner.  Ioannidis is the starting DT.  And that's from a draft that also gained 3 picks that were used for 2017 including the pick that landed Perine.  That's actually a good draft.  

People discount the undrafted FAs as if they fall out of the sky and every team lands studs that way so they don't count -- but the typical GM will say they spend a ton of time on guys that are likely going undrafted.  Schneider from Seattle in particular is a wiz at it.  And it counts.   If Kelley was taken in the 6th round, it would look like a genius pick to some.  What's the difference between that and grabbing him undrafted?  Nothing. 

Having said all of that, Scot isn't my point here.  He's gone.  I don't care what people think of Scot.  He's irrelevant now.  I care about patience with the draft and realistic expectations moving forward.  And I've been consistent on this point, regardless of whose been running the FO.  Before last season, people were slamming the Trent Murphy pick (Bruce's draft) saying he was a bust and how can you miss out on a 2nd rounder.  Grant Paulsen was going on and on about it being a travesty.  I battled with him on twitter on the subject saying look the dude is on the team, that's a start, and yeah middle round 2nd round picks aren't all studs, most of them aren't.  

People go on and on about Matt Jones for example -- a very late third rounder.  While ignoring that Crowder was taken in the 4th round.   If the two players were flip flopped in the draft, I don't think the outcry would be as big.   My point is heck that's how a draft goes.  You might bomb on your 2nd rounder but land on your 4th, etc.  It's just not an exact neat science.  And yeah you are going to miss more than you hit.  The crime IMO of the Cerrato era is that they gave themselves too few chances to land players.  If you dump picks as opposed to keep them -- the odds are stacked against you.  If you read about Belichick the operative thing about him and the draft is MORE -- trade down, add to future drafts, increase the odds.  Dilute the crap shoot part of the draft by having more fish in the sea.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/22/the-first-round-of-the-draft-remains-a-total-crapshoot/

Dimitroff offered a more general observation that underscores the uncertainty of the first round, at any position.

“That’s always an interesting discussion and we talk about it all the time,” Dimitroff said. “What’s funny is we talk about that with quarterbacks but then when we start looking at positions that we’re interested in. We can look at interior D-lineman over the years or [pass] rushers or whoever they may be, and we all want to come up with this stat that says, ‘Wow, this is an easy pick.’ It’s not an easy pick in the first round.”

It’s not easy because it remains, at best, a flip-of-the-coin proposition.

“According to our most recent statistics that we drew on the first round, it’s less than 60 percent of those players that are starting,” Dimitroff said. “I think it may have come in at 56 percent. So point being it’s not an exact science, we know that. 

18 hours ago, Jericho said:

Well, since Sudfeld was actually on the Redskins, maybe he knows that Cousins future with the team isn't as cloudy and uncertain as we on the outside think.

Of course, as you said, that wouldn't explain why he went to the Eagles, whose QB situation is even more entrenched.

Colts taking 3 Redskins? Eagles all in on Sudfeld -- in light of all the other smoke relating to the Eagles which I talked about before.  I'd say good shot Scot's working for those 2 teams.   I know some like Scot, some don't.  And the "don'ts" are in full force with the Cravens happening.  My point isn't about talking about him.  It's just interesting for me from a roster stand point to track it if it has some implications.

Back to Sudfeld, Garafalo was just on 106.7.  He said he heard the Eagles signing Sudfeld for a combination of liking him as a player and liking him as a source of information for this coming game.  He said part of the reason why Sudfeld signed with the Eagles was they just paid him more.  They got outbid.

10 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Well, since Sudfeld was actually on the Redskins, maybe he knows that Cousins future with the team isn't as cloudy and uncertain as we on the outside think.

Of course, as you said, that wouldn't explain why he went to the Eagles, whose QB situation is even more entrenched.

Maybe he also knows the eagles oline sucks and their starter will be out by midseason

Archived