Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

ExoDus84

With Brown and McClure making the roster, it really means we're down to one spot left it seems. Unless they do decided to cut one of Dunbar/Holsey Probably Chris Carter gets it, but still a shot at another OL (either Painter or Kouandjio). 

Actually, I see Holsey was told he's on the 53

EDIT: I see it's confirmed to be Carter. Final 53:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/9/2/16246838/what-the-redskins-53-man-roster-looks-like-for-now

Certainly a few guys I'd rather have, but none that are real head scratchers.  Guys like Davis, Marley, Smithson are still raw and I'm hoping they get on the PS.

Bengals did cut Josh Tupou.  I know I've banged the drum before, but I'd like to see the skins try and get him on the PS.  

The tweet about Ryan Grant >> Ryan Gruden makes me laugh.  I need something, since like many, I'd rather his roster spot go elsewhere.

I don't mind Grant making it - they trust him and he can line up wherever - but I thought that would open them up to carry young guy, rather than Quick.  Of course, part of my assumption was that they would keep Harris too.  Going with 5 makes that last spot a bit more important.  

52 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

11 DBs? That's ridiculous. And at the expense of two good WRs and some areas that could use another roster spot for depth. Just don't see it.

It's understandable to a point, though, considering what a pass-happy league the NFL has become.

17 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It's funny. The ones that always frustrate me are the bottom of the roster guys. I want my Cinderellas like Harris and Calis or Francis to live happily ever after. 

Hate te when guys win a spot solely on pedigree, signing bonus, or draft slot. 

Who do you think made the team due to pedigree, signing bonus, or draft slot, but didn't really deserve it?

Man, this just goes to show how much of a fool's errand it is to assume things based exclusively on the preseason games. 

Because, just going by those, I'm floored that Kalis and Francis didn't make it. Especially Kalis over Catalina, who mostly struggled at RG during games. I have to think they believe those guys can make the PS.   

I'm okay with it, though, because we don't see everything the coaches do. And, as has been mentioned, Catalina is more versatile and that's important for backups on the Oline. But I'm not going to be pleased if Kalis doesn't make his way to the PS. 

Same goes for Francis. I understood cutting Mbu, as he was too inconsistent throughout the games (though his good plays were pretty damn flashy), but I thought Francis was a lock. Played consistently well at NT the entire preseason. Hope he makes the PS.

Everything else makes sense, I guess.   

If I see Hood lined up at NT, I'm going to have a heart attack. :ols:  

9 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

It's understandable to a point, though, considering what a pass-happy league the NFL has become.

Who do you think made the team due to pedigree, signing bonus, or draft slot, but didn't really deserve it?

Maybe Grant and Quick. Probably Louvao. I'd have to study the roster harder. Right now. I see the guys I hoped would get to experience their long shot dream fulfilled. 

Mind you, I reserve the right to be unrealistic and unreasonable. 

Any notable names out there at Nose that were cut? I saw Ahtyba Rubin's name mentioned but he was absolutely awful for the Seahawks last year and I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade over what we have unless his struggles can be chalked up to going from playing in a 3-4 to a 4-3 with them. 

An outside signing at nose is the only thing on my wishlist so long as Kalis, Mbu/Francis, Davis, Fish, and Nico clear waivers to the PS. 

I can see Mbu or Francis being called up mid-season if we have issues at nose, Robert Davis replacing Quick mid-season if he continues to progress or if Quick has any issues with drops, and Fish is an excellent long-term developmental project. 

That would leave 5 more practice squad spots for in-house or outside signings. 

While some of the choices were head scratchers based on what we thought we saw in camp and preseason, the biggest takeaway of all of this for me is how much it speaks to the quality of our draft class. Having 9 out of 10 selections make a 53-man roster is outstanding. Especially if we dont lose Davis on the waiver wire.

I saw someone post something regarding parallels to the 2008 draft class and while I respect the effort to temper expectations, comparing a draft ran by Vinny to this crop isnt even possible. Not to mention we all know cracking this teams roster is a way more impressive feat than the god awful squad the 2008 draft class was competing against.

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

Man, this just goes to show how much of a fool's errand it is to assume things based exclusively on the preseason games. 

...I'm floored that Kalis and Francis didn't make it. Especially Kalis over Catalina, who mostly struggled at RG during games.

...But I'm not going to be pleased if Kalis doesn't make his way to the PS.

Couldnt agree more. I was upset at Catalina over Kalis but after I thought about it, its possible that while Kalis is currently looking better, that Callahan knows the ceiling of both is about equal and went with the more versatile player because its not likely that either are counted on early in the season.

Ditto on the feeling if Kalis happens to get swiped from us.

1 minute ago, drowland said:

Is it really surprising though? They kept 4 TEs.  Reed and Paul can line up wide and Chris Thompson can also.  

Its also not like the current position counts are final either. We could easily be up to 6 or 7 receivers at some point in the season due to injury or otherwise...

1 hour ago, drowland said:

Is it really surprising though? They kept 4 TEs.  Reed and Paul can line up wide and Chris Thompson can also.  

I thought there was a chance they would keep only 5 because of Paul's presence. Though it's risky with the health histories of Doctson, Quick and Paul. And the potential of Harris and, more so imo, Davis tough to let go of.

Would've seemed more understandable to do so for a developmental QB or another Lineman. An 11th DB seems like overkill, though.

with the inactive list it's likely the Skins would only dress five WRs anyway.  That means the sixth guy is no use if someone goes down in a game.  Likely plan is if someone gets hurt they hit IR and a WR  on the PS gets activated.

As it stands I predict we only have two O inactives per week, OL and TE or RB, while D sits a DL, two LB and two DB

21 minutes ago, drowland said:

Is it really surprising though? 

Of course it is. I said I was surprised, therefore it was really surprising to me.

Gruden is known as a passing coach who largely disdains the run. Therefore, you would assume he would go a little heavier than average on WR. Instead, he went about as light as any team dares. If we were a running team this would make a lot of sense. As a passing team, it's light.

Now, that could be as simple as they didn't think the other receivers were up to pro snuff. It also could simply be a numbers game where they decided the TEs were that much better than the WRs. I'm not opposed to that. I also think a three TE set where Paul and Reed and Davis unbunch could create interesting mismatches. If the D plays nickle you get to pound, but if they play jumbo D you should be in great shape in terms of TEs getting open.

That said, they better be fast routes, because I think pass pro will be a challenge if we split off a bunch of TEs.

Archived