Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

ExoDus84

Skins should try to get Donald if they can reasonably, but in doing so, they would have to play to his strengths not force him into a scheme. Knowing this team, they will put him as linebacker covering guys like Cole Beasley smh.

2 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

No to Aaron Donald he is great but if were to trade for him everyone would say the Vinny days because are back chasing big name stars again.

the rams would never get rid of the guy, but he's the absolute best at his position and still a youngster.. the guy is absolutely worth chasing.

NOT saying it will happen but I wouldn't have a problem if they inquired.

5 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

I can see the Rams doing a Su'a Cravens for Aaron Donald trade. We might have to throw a 2nd or 3rd pick inthough.

Obviously the Rams have proven inept over the years given their squandering of the haul we provided them, Jeff Fisher, Goff, etc.

However, I cannot see how under any circumstances they would be stupid enough to give up arguably one of the best big boys in football for a tweener safety on the left squad list that just "needs to do what makes him happy".  Not to mention the Redskins really cannot afford to pay the moving forward salary that Donald believes he deserves.  We already have one agent willing to play hardball with our unlovable FO, we don't need another.

The first depth chart was released and Ziggy is the starting NT. I appreciate his apparent locker room leadership, but it boggles my mind not only that he made the team over Mbu and Francis, but that the coaches still believe in him after how terrible he was last year. 

I don't care how much we "don't play in the 3-4," this is going to be the same problem as last year; zero resistance up the gut. 

Just now, CTskin said:

I don't care how much we "don't play in the 3-4," this is going to be the same problem as last year; zero resistance up the gut. 

I share your worry, but if Tomsula is as good as we have heard he isn't starting a bum. They aren't putting Hood out solely due to seniority or loyalty. 

That said I wish that either Mbu or Francis had made the team or we had a more inspiring option. 

Let's hope Hood and the schemes produce better results this year. 

1 hour ago, Jacoby66forHOF said:

Trading Cravens back to LA is probably the best case scenario for the Skins at this point.  But Cravens and picks for Aaron Donald?  No way.  Cravens is worth a late round pick, if anything, at this point.

I was kidding, I should have been more clear about that. My bad! 

I don't often go against the coach's thinking... but in the case of Hood it really does boggle the mind. He's a major liability at NT just for the simple fact that he easily gets pushed back, and by Centers one on one no less. 

It's almost guaranteed space in the middle for backs to operate in. Frustrating. 

It's weird, though. Barry/Akey last year put him there and now Manusky/Tomsula.

I mean, I get it, he knows his role, goes where he's supposed to, is a locker room leader, and is super strong... but none of that translates well on the field. It's hard to think any of us sees it better than two different coaching staffs now, but I've got to admit I'm perplexed. 

The D depth chart is a joke in the modern era of heavy subs.

Most misleading is the DL, since a heavy rotation is slated to occur there. Which, I hate. I will take our best player a little tired, over our worst fresh.

Who are the best 11... don't feel tethered to designating our best nose. We don't even have one, and I think we will barely even use a true 3-4 this year.

On ESPN's website.... 

John KeimESPN Staff Writer 

Linebacker Ryan Anderson is going through individual drills at full speed for the first time since hurting his shoulder in the preseason opener. He was jamming the blocking sled at full strength, for example.

Earlier the same day he posted this

John KeimESPN Staff Writer 

Linebacker Nick Anderson is going through individual drills at full speed for the first time since hurting his shoulder in the preseason opener. He was jamming the blocking sled at full strength, for example.

Maybe they are twins....:rofl89:

22 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

The D depth chart is a joke in the modern era of heavy subs.

Most misleading is the DL, since a heavy rotation is slated to occur there. Which, I hate. I will take our best player a little tired, over our worst fresh.

Who are the best 11... don't feel tethered to designating our best nose. We don't even have one, and I think we will barely even use a true 3-4 this year.

We could do the ol' UFO defense that Cleveland tried to do a while ago. 

20 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

We could do the ol' UFO defense that Cleveland tried to do a while ago. 

Hmmm I imagine that didn't last for long, being Cleveland and all.

I do think something is up. Hood at nose is a smokescreen.  From what we learned from TSO asking DL about 1 or 2 gaps, releasing all NTs even though 1 was judged to be good enough to be added to a 53.... all under a new DC. 

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Hmmm I imagine that didn't last for long, being Cleveland and all.

I do think something is up. Hood at nose is a smokescreen.  From what we learned from TSO asking DL about 1 or 2 gaps, releasing all NTs even though 1 was judged to be good enough to be added to a 53.... all under a new DC. 

It's odd... everything i've seen shows us running a 4-3 the vast majority of the time, yet the depth chart still shows a 34 alignment.  I'm with you... maybe a little gamesmanship, or **fingers crossed** they're working on making a move to bring someone in. No matter what, something seems a little... different. 

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I don't often go against the coach's thinking... but in the case of Hood it really does boggle the mind. He's a major liability at NT just for the simple fact that he easily gets pushed back, and by Centers one on one no less. 

It's almost guaranteed space in the middle for backs to operate in. Frustrating. 

It's weird, though. Barry/Akey last year put him there and now Manusky/Tomsula.

I mean, I get it, he knows his role, goes where he's supposed to, is a locker room leader, and is super strong... but none of that translates well on the field. It's hard to think any of us sees it better than two different coaching staffs now, but I've got to admit I'm perplexed. 

I have worked with a lot of smart people in senior roles who do dumb things because they out-think themselves into dumb decisions. Maybe that's happening here?  Maybe they have few other options?  Maybe we are cursed never to have a NT or FS ever again? 

I dunno.  But I agree, Hood at starting NT is a head scratcher.  

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

We don't have a best 11.  We have a best 3.  With an incomplete on Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson.  They could be great, but they haven't played, so I don't know.  

Norman

Kerrigan

Swearinger

Everybody else is a JAG.  Some JAGs are better than other JAGs.  But they are all JAGs at the moment.  

My hope is that the coaches can coach them better and they can be more productive than they were last year.  We'll see.

2 other thoughts:

1.  PLEASE do not be the fool who laments losing Baker after some successful run play.  Please.  He was an average player with a big personality, big mouth and good dance.  

2. Preston Smith is starting at OLB?  Huh.  Here's hoping that goes better than I think it's going to...

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have worked with a lot of smart people in senior roles who do dumb things because they out-think themselves into dumb decisions. Maybe that's happening here?  Maybe they have few other options?  Maybe we are cursed never to have a NT or FS ever again? 

I dunno.  But I agree, Hood at starting NT is a head scratcher.  

We don't have a best 11.  We have a best 3.  With an incomplete on Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson.  They could be great, but they haven't played, so I don't know.  

Norman

Kerrigan

Swearinger

Everybody else is a JAG.  Some JAGs are better than other JAGs.  But they are all JAGs at the moment.  

I'm not seeing Brown as a JAG...he showed a LOT in the preseason.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Agreed.  I missed one.  I'd add him to the list as one of the 4 non JAGs on defense.

Sadly, that doesn't make me feel much better.  Though, if Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson both pan out well, that's 6 non-JAGs.  That's a step in the right direction...

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I agree.  I wanted him before FA.  And I was jazzed when they signed him.  He's going to be the first MLB we've had with real sideline to sideline speed since London in his prime.  He was a pro-bowler for a reason.

On another note, if I'm understanding the roster, Kerrigan is listed as weak side OLB, that would mean this year he's mostly playing on the right versus the normal left.  But I noticed he played a bunch on the right side last season.  But that's a shift.

Preston on the strong side which is mostly the left side makes sense if he's considered the better run stopper.  Ditto Ryan Anderson who is backing him on the strong side.  So in short Preston and Ryan seem to be flipping sides. 

It would play into Cooley's mantra about Kerrigan which is that he's not a good run stopper, he's not good at shedding blocks, etc. 

Archived