Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

ExoDus84

Biggest issue right now is Doctson. Seriously if he is not ready not only to play but also to produce this team is telling us we are going with Grant as our 3rd wide-out.  think about that for a minute.  I hope we bring Harris quick from the PS because if someone snatches him then we are really in trouble at WR.

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Agreed.  I missed one.  I'd add him to the list as one of the 4 non JAGs on defense.

Sadly, that doesn't make me feel much better.  Though, if Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson both pan out well, that's 6 non-JAGs.  That's a step in the right direction...

Eh, i'd sort of put him in the same category as Allen an Anderson. He was average for Tennessee and had one good year in Buffalo. 

11 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Biggest issue right now is Doctson. Seriously if he is not ready not only to play but also to produce this team is telling us we are going with Grant as our 3rd wide-out.  think about that for a minute.  I hope we bring Harris quick from the PS because if someone snatches him then we are really in trouble at WR.

Grant can really dig out those safeties and he's a great practice player.  

But he's physically limited.  So of course Gruden loves him.  

36 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Agreed.  I missed one.  I'd add him to the list as one of the 4 non JAGs on defense.

Sadly, that doesn't make me feel much better.  Though, if Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson both pan out well, that's 6 non-JAGs.  That's a step in the right direction...

If Breeland can return to his first 2 seasons and, um...Galette can return to pre-injury form...and...uh...that other guy plays really well....then we're on our way!

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree.  I wanted him before FA.  And I was jazzed when they signed him.  He's going to be the first MLB we've had with real sideline to sideline speed since London in his prime.  He was a pro-bowler for a reason.

Being completely honest here....I had no idea who Brown was when we signed him lol :ols:...I said "Who?...Oh, ok, sounds like he's really good"

It would play into Cooley's mantra about Kerrigan which is that he's not a good run stopper, he's not good at shedding blocks, etc.

He's really been on a Kerrigan Criticism tear, hasn't he?...Sheehan seemed a little surprised by it. His takes sound valid, though, he's noticing things I don't bother trying to notice/

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

If Breeland can return to his first 2 seasons and, um...Galette can return to pre-injury form...and...uh...that other guy plays really well....then we're on our way!

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

"That other guy" might be starting OLB Preston Smith?  Because that would help a bit.  I personally think that starting spot is temporary until Anderson heals up fully and has some experience, then he'll be the starter.  

They need 2-3 more top 2 round picks on the DL, so it's going to take a while to get there.  

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

that makes him our 4th or 5th target after Pryor, Reed, Crowder and maybe Davis.  We'll survive.  Hell, Doctson healthy may take that role

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

What about Brian Quick?

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

He's really been on a Kerrigan Criticism tear, hasn't he?...Sheehan seemed a little surprised by it. His takes sound valid, though, he's noticing things I don't bother trying to notice/

Yeah I recall some of them via his film study:  lost puppy on boots, can't shed blocks, even TEs can block him one on one.  Cooley kind of buries it by saying what a good guy Kerrigan is, he tries hard and maybe he's not healthy, etc but he could be ruthless going after him.  

But yeah the Kerrigan-Galette on the weak side.  Smith-Anderson on the strong side got my attention.  I think that's a shift for Kerrigan unless I'm missing something. 

Interesting about Kerrigan on that right side. I had long thought he should get snaps there, randomly within a series, or when he and the ROLB were not getting any pressure at all. I was going to suggest that if he were to bulk up some, that we may use more 4-3 fronts vs 1/10/20s.  Maybe Preston is more stout so he is being shifted over. From my Dexter Manley days, I always expect the more natural pass rusher at RE.

Kerrigan doesn't seem to get many favors from coaching, in which the scheme gets him freed up to attack the QB. In the form of stunts, moving him around, inside (never)....

12 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I agree with Cooley.... the knock on Ryan Kerrigan is not about him being a good player but it's about he is being paid like a game changing defensive player.... I can't remember a game in which he made any game changing plays...

8 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Other than that one on one red zone TD Zach brown got burned for against the packers he has looked like a straight baller. Fast, mean and hits hard. Also seems to play off Foster well. 

I know I know it was the preseason but let me be happy about one thing on this team at least 

Brown is fast sideline to sidelin but apparently he isn't a cover guy at all as a LB.... Cooley said Billls never used him as a cover guy and he wouldn't have expected that due to his speed... What we saw in preseason just validated why Bills did that....

3 hours ago, sjinhan said:

I agree with Cooley.... the knock on Ryan Kerrigan is not about him being a good player but it's about he is being paid like a game changing defensive player.... I can't remember a game in which he made any game changing plays...

Then you arent thinking very hard. I can see making an argument that you want him to make more game changing plays, but to say you cant think of a single time is a little out there. Sack fumbles, multiple to seal the game, pick 6s, etc.

3 hours ago, sjinhan said:

why don't you search Ryan Kerrigan on youtube.  It's pretty easy to find a guys highlights these days

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Kerrigan has definitely made big plays in the past.  The issue with him is that he ends up on a milk carton too often.  It also seems he's dealing with some level of injury a lot of the time.

And his aggressiveness runs him out of plays at times.  Love the dude, absolutely love having him here, but he plays undisciplined at times trying TOO hard to make that play.. 

It seems like Kerrigan often gets horse collared all game, and then we finally get one called in the 4th quarter. I don't see the same volume of horse collars in other games I watch.  How many moves does he have in his arsenal and what does he do best? Bull rush, speed outside aka "the horse collar".... maybe the swim, speed inside....

Rak seemed more 1 dimensional, and Kerrigan is smart enough to paw at the ball, something arakapo wouldn't do.

I think Quick is long term injury insurance for our top 2. Primarily Pryor, but will split with Grant fill in duty for Doctson. Grant's the primary backup for Crowder, and is our #4  - out in 4 wide.

I had no idea Quick played special teams - which is mandatory for a #5 to stick yet only carry 5.

Archived