Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 Training Camp Discussion Thread

ExoDus84

13 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Seems as if Davis is our only 2017 draft pick to be cut.  Davis will be picked up or on our PS, right? Are our talent evaluators good, lucky, or stubborn?

I guess we'll have to see. It does seem like 9 out of 10 drafts picks made the 53 (plus Catalina appears to have made it as an UDFA). I'd imagine Davis is a prime candidate for the PS if he clears waivers. The team was already decent, so it's not just a lack of options. But remember 2008 as a cautionary tale. The Redskins had 10 picks that year and all 10 made the 53 (at least initially): Devin Thomas, Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly, Chad Rinehart, Justin Tryon, Durant Brooks, Kareem Moore, Colt Brennan. Rob Jackson, and Chris Horton. And were any of team really that noteworthy?

So as of now it looks like the roster is breaking down like this:

QB (2) - Cousins, McCoy

RB (3-4) - Kelley, Perine, Thompson (Brown)

WR (5) - Doctson, Pryor, Crowder, B. Quick, Grant

TE (4) - Reed, Davis, Paul, Sprinkle

OL (8-9) - Williams, Lauvao, Long, Scherff, Moses, Nsekhe, Roullier, Catalina (?? - Painter, Kouandjio)

DL (6) - McClain, McGee, Allen, Hood, Ioannidis, Lanier

LB (9-10) - Brown, Compton, Foster, Spaight, Anderson, Galette, Kerrigan, Smith, Harvey-Clemons (Carter, maybe Robertson)

CB(6) - Norman, Breeland, Moreau, Fuller, Holsey, Dunbar 

S(4-5) - Cravens, Swearinger, Everett, Nicholson (?? - McClure)

K (1) - Hopkins

P (1) - Way

LS (1) - Sundberg

That's 50 counting the minimum at each position I listed. I feel pretty confident that everyone not in parenthesis is on the squad. That leaves three spots left. I would think Carter and Mack Brown seem likely to grab two of them. The offense only has 22 guys right now. Brown would make 23. That suggest one more lineman, though I'm not sure who. Painter I guess would be the favorite, but he did not look good. And since Catalina can play T too, maybe it'll be an interior guy. I suppose we could see another safety like say McClure? Or some wild card? Or keep a spot open for waiver claims?

7 minutes ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

Don't understand Painter at all, penalties & thrown around every game I've seen him play.

He's the new Leribeus

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I'd imagine we will see Paul and Davis lined up outside more regularly... 

That's a good point on Paul. He was a converted WR so they could still use him as such in certain sets.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Maybe we've got our sights set on a receiver from waiver wire? Five receivers feels like it's begging for an injury to crush us. Or maybe there are plans for using 2 TE sets more often to get Reed and Davis/Paul on the field more?

I was listing to Pat Kerwin (may have been Jim Miller, they were not together for some reason) the other day talk about the camp visits. He said he liked what the Redskins were showing in terms of 12 personnel. So that suggests you are right about them using a lot more 2TE sets.

I also believe they really like what they see in Sprinkle. So I would not be surprised to more more 3 TE sets. 

But I do agree keeping 5 WRs is a semi huge risk. Of course as someone else said they could be eying someone that looks to be released.

It will be interesting to see as the season progresses. I like the options.

8 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Only keeping 5 WR, with Doctsons hx and Pryor a probable goner next year seems a little risky to me. I would have thought a strong developmental talent such as Davis or Harris would have been a given

that's what the practice squad is for.  Skins are playing to win despite the one year guys so a developmental guy wouldn't play much

Lining Reed up wide is a no brainer IMO and am glad to hear its likely to happen more.  Using him as a blocker is not using him to his strengths, and I feel like we had to run with him in the game inside to "keep defenses honest".  12 will take on new meaning with an elite hands TE like him out wide - he's got WR skills.  Keeping 5WRs one ailing seems risky but now it makes sense, and its not just Reed of course we can move outside.  Davis will be our blocking TE... maybe we will go PA out of Jumbo more this year.

I am surprised we cut Mbu and Francis. More signs the 3-4 is a goner next year.... if not basically after the Taylor injury. Or, McGee is our starting nose, which I had assumed since the first day I saw his listed weight on our roster.

We hardly knew ya, Mr Crowley.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Nicholson should have joined him

And your reasoning is? Is it just you not being able to let go of your initial reactions from us drafting him and thinking the Skins reached because you didnt recognize his name?

Because I find it hard to believe you're basing it off talent or his training camp/preseason performance...

Or maybe you just really loved Will Blackmon? 

2 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

And your reasoning is? Is it just you not being able to let go of your initial reactions from us drafting him and thinking the Skins reached because you didnt recognize his name?

Because I find it hard to believe you're basing it off talent or his training camp/preseason performance...

Or maybe you just really loved Will Blackmon? 

Smithson seemed further along than him.

What did he do in training camp or preseason to warrant a roster spot ?

He's better off on the PS. Still too raw to worry about anyone snatching him up.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Smithson seemed further along than him.

What did he do in training camp or preseason to warrant a roster spot ?

He's better off on the PS. Still too raw to worry about anyone snatching him up.

How was Fish further along? A preseason interception?

A 4th round pick would have been a safer bet to clear waivers than an UDFA? They are both raw but Nicholson's play was better and his ceiling is immensely higher than Smithsons.

Only thing Montae didnt have was the cool name factor...

1 minute ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

How was Fish further along? A preseason interception?

A 4th round pick would have been a safer bet to clear waivers than an UDFA? They are both raw but Nicholson's play was better and his ceiling is immensely higher than Smithsons.

Only thing Montae didnt have was the cool name factor...

Smithson was solid for the entire camp.

While Nicholson was absent from half of it, and started out behind to begin with.

And football talent has far more to do with teams claiming waived/PS players, than "draft status"

4 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

I may be in the minority here, but I was disappointed Marley got cut. Guy may not have the prototypical size, but guy has heart and just makes plays. Hope he gets on practice squad or catches on elsewhere. 

I think he's a solid practice squad candidate. Right or wrong (though it's probably right), Marley is simply viewed as too small to play regularly. He's more of a special team guy. Which is fine, but not exactly a guy you can't cut

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I think he's a solid practice squad candidate. Right or wrong (though it's probably right), Marley is simply viewed as too small to play regularly. He's more of a special team guy. Which is fine, but not exactly a guy you can't cut

Oh, I realize he could be cut. I just thought he had done enough to warrant a spot on the 53. Hell, I'd take him over Compton at the this point. ?

Archived