Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Watched at home with family and friends. I still can't believe it's real. The Washington Capitals are Stanley Cup Champions. I woke up this morning, and the hockey team I've loved since I was 5 won the Stanley Cup last night, it wasn't a dream. I woke up as a fan of the Stanley Cup Champs.

For the fans since the '74 expansion team that won 8 games - This is for you.

For the fans that stuck through all of the losing at the beginning, the '98 cup run, Essa Tikkanen, the struggles in the early 2000's, the heartbreaking playoff losses during the Rock the Red era - This is for you.

For every fan that has had to hear the same stupid "White Russian" joke, or watch the Pens, Rangers, Flyers, etc celebrate winning a series on our ice - This is for you.

For every new fan, welcome to the team - This is for you.

This is about as sappy a post as I will ever have, but I don't give a ****. THE WASHINGTON CAPITALS ARE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

2 hours ago, mammajamma said:

only seeing game replay vids on there.. is there another section showing fan reactions?

Here's a (somewhat crappy) video that I took as the clock hit 0.  Well as it hit .6, and then 0 lol.

Let me be the first to propose that, upon the retirement of Alexander Ovechkin, the stretch of F Street, NW between 6th and 7th Streets be renamed Alexander Ovechkin Way.

3 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

My Dad and I are going to tomorrow's game. 

This is gonna be so ****ing sweet.

Dang.  I'm going tonight.  Wrong night.

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Let me be the first to propose that, upon the retirement of Alexander Ovechkin, the stretch of F Street, NW between 6th and 7th Streets be renamed Alexander Ovechkin Way.

Dang.  I'm going tonight.  Wrong night.

I'll second that motion. 

And if I weren't between pay days and still feeling the hurt from traveling last night, I'd be going tonight, too. 

Still not over last night - don't think I will be for a long, long time.

26 minutes ago, Capt'n Obvious said:

For every new fan, welcome to the team - This is for you.

This is about as sappy a post as I will ever have, but I don't give a ****. THE WASHINGTON CAPITALS ARE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

Fan since Game 3, start of 3rd period, last Saturday. Thanks!

crap. the only downer on this whole thing is that the parade is tuesday. I was hoping fir Thur/Fri next week so we could plan on driving up there with the family from Raleigh. Not sure we can do it Tuesday. Can someone convince Ted to move is a few days or plan a remote parade down here?

There's some decent pics here. Some are the same as you've seen or very familiar, but I think there's few unique ones. I'm OOL, or you'd all still be getting hearts and cups from me.

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/gallery/photos-washington-capitals-raise-the-stanley-cup-for-first-time-in-franchise-history-060818

There's some talk in the post-curse thread about TV ratings. I thought some of this was kind of interesting:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/06/stanley-cup-final-ratings-game-5-overnight/

"The Stanley Cup Final ended with an 18-year high in the metered markets.

Thursday’s Capitals-Golden Knights Stanley Cup Final Game 5 earned a 5.0 overnight rating on NBC, up 61% from Predators-Penguins last year (3.1) and up 39% from Sharks-Penguins in 2016 (3.6).

The 5.0 is the highest for Game 5 of the Cup Final in 18 years, since Devils-Stars on ABC in 2000 (5.3). The previous high was a 4.6 for Rangers-Kings in 2014....

...Compared to previous Stanley Cup clinchers, Thursday’s overnight increased 4% from Penguins-Predators Game 6 last year (4.8) and 35% from Penguins-Sharks Game 6 in 2016 (3.7).

Las Vegas led all markets with a 27.6 rating, the market’s second-highest NHL rating ever behind Game 1 (28.1). In victorious Washington D.C., the game had a 25.2 — an NHL record in the market.

Baltimore ranked third with a 12.5, followed by Richmond (Va.) at an 11.4. Buffalo was the top neutral market with an 11.2. Pittsburgh also pulled a double-digit rating with a 10.65."

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree with that sentiment.  That statement is always odd to me though, the guys that should never have to pay for a meal or buy a drink in DC for the rest of their lives are the ones that can afford to do so.  Not just for them, but for you and me, too.

I also agree with the previous posts, he is the #1 athlete in DC history. 

How are the Caps set up from a perspective of looking ahead for a season or two down the line here?  Could this be the start of a dynasty or was this a successful last ditch effort to win with a team before it gets disbanded?  Or somewhere in the middle?

I think he's #1 and hope he doesn't get usurped for a long, long time. 

There is a show on NBCSW right now and they just showed a clip of the refs talking about Holtby's save mid-game.

"That has to be the nicest save I've ever seen in my career."

Pretty cool to hear the refs talk like that about it.

2 hours ago, slinky said:

crap. the only downer on this whole thing is that the parade is tuesday. I was hoping fir Thur/Fri next week so we could plan on driving up there with the family from Raleigh. Not sure we can do it Tuesday. Can someone convince Ted to move is a few days or plan a remote parade down here?

Same thing for me. Those days would have worked perfect for me. Oh well. Those who get to go, enjoy it for those of us who can’t.

25 minutes ago, SkinsFanRob said:

going back and reading the beginning of this thread and thoughts on the smith pelly signing are gold now. 

Never again will he be a JAG. Dude is a gamer. And now a Stanley cup champion. 

I read some of the first few pages last night. It was pure comedy. I know there are some better comments as this thread goes on. I remember a few saying this was the worst team in the NHL. Of course you don’t even have to go back that far. Just read when Columbus was up 2-0. Heck when Tampa was up 3-2, I thought I had missed game 6 since so many were talking about how the Caps season was over. 

Archived